Christmas/New Year's Eve fireworks?

JenniferFolsomCa

Mouseketeer
We just decided to be in Orlando over Christmas/ New Year's and beginning to plan. Which park should I go to for the best fireworks? Or if I am concerned about driving at that time of night what hotels might have a decent view of fireworks? How would the Seaworld fireworks be compared to MK or Epcot? Do they do a special show or is the same fireworks on Christmas Day/New Year's Eve vs a regular day?

Jenn

MK does NYE fireworks on 12/30 and 12/31. Epcot does them in 12/31.

MK does NYE fireworks on 12/30 and 12/31. Epcot does them in 12/31.
On 12/30 at MK do they do both regular and NYE fireworks? I'm trying to find info on that. And what times..I swear MDE is useless as I'm trying to find my best dinner time for that day.

Were the MK fireworks better than their normal show? Hoe about Epcot? Same show as a normal day?
Epcot on NYE is far and away the best fireworks experience I have ever had. I try to go as often as I can and I am stoked to get to be there this year. I have never seen the MK ones on the 30th..they do NYE fireworks both 30/31 at MK and we are going to see those this year also.

On 12/30 at MK do they do both regular and NYE fireworks? I'm trying to find info on that. And what times..I swear MDE is useless as I'm trying to find my best dinner time for that day.
MDE is really angering me with this. From what I remember, they only do the special NYE fireworks at MK on 12/30 and 12/31. I don’t remember any other shows. If you look at the online calendar and do the 5 day view, it shows 2 showings of the Fantasy in the Sky FW, which are the NYE FW. The Xmas FW are listed for the days before the 30th and 31st. So, technically, the regular show, HEA, isn’t even showing after the last party on the 22nd.

It’s annoying that the Xmas parade isn’t listed yet. Last year, it showed everyday after the last party at noon and 3:45, even on the 30th and 31st.

MDE is really angering me with this. From what I remember, they only do the special NYE fireworks at MK on 12/30 and 12/31. I don’t remember any other shows. If you look at the online calendar and do the 5 day view, it shows 2 showings of the Fantasy in the Sky FW, which are the NYE FW. The Xmas FW are listed for the days before the 30th and 31st. So, technically, the regular show, HEA, isn’t even showing after the last party on the 22nd.

It’s annoying that the Xmas parade isn’t listed yet. Last year, it showed everyday after the last party at noon and 3:45, even on the 30th and 31st.
I know right! I want to see the parade on the 30th if they are doing the Christmas one and I can't find out if they are doing it or at what time! Trying to arrange lunch and dinner reservations for the 30th has been frustrating.

I know right! I want to see the parade on the 30th if they are doing the Christmas one and I can't find out if they are doing it or at what time! Trying to arrange lunch and dinner reservations for the 30th has been frustrating.

Touring Plans shows that they showed it last year at noon and 3:45 on the 30th, so hopefully, they do the same this year. I have been assuming that's what will happen to book our dinner ADR.

Were the MK fireworks better than their normal show? Hoe about Epcot? Same show as a normal day?
The MK NYE fireworks are really cool. They do kind of a 180+ degree effect. Tons of fireworks. Some people think it's the best show they do.

It's been a few years since I've done NYE at WDW but they do NOT do Fantasy In The Sky twice per night on 12/30 and 12/31. Those fireworks are only done at midnight. They have regular fireworks earlier in the night so families with kids that can't stay up late can enjoy a celebration too. I would assume that the scheduled 6:30 showing will actually be HEA as I seem to recall that the Christmas fireworks end earlier in the week.

I have been to around 20 NYE celebrations at WDW. We would (nearly) always do the MK fireworks on 12/30. It is, IMO, the absolutely most amazing not to be missed fireworks that WDW has ever produced. GO! Be aware that the Hub is usually packed to the gills, even more than usual. We booked the late dessert party a few years ago and it was soooo nice to have the dedicated space to ourselves. Back in the day, the park would remain open until 3:00 am and we would regularly close it.

We would (nearly) always do the Epcot fireworks on 12/31. We did the Studios fireworks once on NYE and it was disappointing. The World Showcase is also full. People stake out their spots pretty early but we never did. We would find a spot around 10:30ish and we would be a few groups back.

Here are the Park Closing Phases:
https://allears.net/walt-disney-world/wdw-planning/disney-world-park-closing-stages/

A lot of people tell you to go early and stay all day because the parks can and do close (at least they did pre-Covid). We always went into the park (MK on 12/30 and Epcot on 12/31) during the day, went back to our resort to rest, and then went back into the park around 5:30 - 6:00. We also always had a dinner reservation on 12/31 because the lines for food are crazy. In any case, we never, ever stayed in the park the whole day.

For people staying offsite, it can be more difficult. You must be at the MK pretty early as the parking lot often closes by mid morning. You can ask at the parking gate what you should do if you leave and come back. It may be that you will not be allowed to park at the MK again. You may have to park at Epcot and take the monorail to the MK. If you get to the MK too late and the parking lot is already closed, you may or may not be able to take the monorail from Epcot. I recall CMs scanning MBs to ensure that the people wanting to ride the monorail were eligible to enter the MK. One of the first park closures is to offsite guests who are entering the park for the first time.

We have done Epcot for NYE 3 other times and love it .this year we are staying at RR in hopes of less drama getting back to our room after. We have waited hours for a bus previously and gotta say that is not fun. We have never seen the 12/30 MK ones and plan to see them from BLT resort bridge. We will spend the day at MK but don't want to deal with the crowds at the hub for that night. We have been there a few times when the crush there was scary.

It's been a few years since I've done NYE at WDW but they do NOT do Fantasy In The Sky twice per night on 12/30 and 12/31. Those fireworks are only done at midnight. They have regular fireworks earlier in the night so families with kids that can't stay up late can enjoy a celebration too. I would assume that the scheduled 6:30 showing will actually be HEA as I seem to recall that the Christmas fireworks end earlier in the week.

I have been to around 20 NYE celebrations at WDW. We would (nearly) always do the MK fireworks on 12/30. It is, IMO, the absolutely most amazing not to be missed fireworks that WDW has ever produced. GO! Be aware that the Hub is usually packed to the gills, even more than usual. We booked the late dessert party a few years ago and it was soooo nice to have the dedicated space to ourselves. Back in the day, the park would remain open until 3:00 am and we would regularly close it.

We would (nearly) always do the Epcot fireworks on 12/31. We did the Studios fireworks once on NYE and it was disappointing. The World Showcase is also full. People stake out their spots pretty early but we never did. We would find a spot around 10:30ish and we would be a few groups back.

https://allears.net/walt-disney-world/wdw-planning/disney-world-park-closing-stages/

A lot of people tell you to go early and stay all day because the parks can and do close (at least they did pre-Covid). We always went into the park (MK on 12/30 and Epcot on 12/31) during the day, went back to our resort to rest, and then went back into the park around 5:30 - 6:00. We also always had a dinner reservation on 12/31 because the lines for food are crazy. In any case, we never, ever stayed in the park the whole day.

For people staying offsite, it can be more difficult. You must be at the MK pretty early as the parking lot often closes by mid morning. You can ask at the parking gate what you should do if you leave and come back. It may be that you will not be allowed to park at the MK again. You may have to park at Epcot and take the monorail to the MK. If you get to the MK too late and the parking lot is already closed, you may or may not be able to take the monorail from Epcot. I recall CMs scanning MBs to ensure that the people wanting to ride the monorail were eligible to enter the MK. One of the first park closures is to offsite guests who are entering the park for the first time.
I didn’t think they did it twice either, but that’s what Disney’s current calendar says. They need to get their act together and fix it.

We have done Epcot for NYE 3 other times and love it .this year we are staying at RR in hopes of less drama getting back to our room after. We have waited hours for a bus previously and gotta say that is not fun. We have never seen the 12/30 MK ones and plan to see them from BLT resort bridge. We will spend the day at MK but don't want to deal with the crowds at the hub for that night. We have been there a few times when the crush there was scary.
I don’t remember the 30th at MK being nearly as busy as stuff on the 31st. We have done Epcot on the 31st, and MK on the 30th was mild in comparison. This was before Covid.

We are not going to WDW this year for NYE, but we are next year. It will be our first NYE experience there, so I’m enjoying what everyone has posted. This time next year, I’ll have plenty of questions. We’ve been to WDW a billion times, just not on NYE.

I was reading that they DID NOT do the NYE Fireworks at 6:30 in 2021, but in 2022, they did. On one of the sites they even had pictures of the same NYE fireworks at both times and I have read this a few places.

I haven't finished reading this blog, but have we gotten to the bottom of this yet? I booked a post-party for NYE (time to check in is 5:30) expecting it to be for the NYE fireworks and really would like to confirm it.

I just found this image, now I don't know if they did it both times on both days, but I would suspect at a minimum they did it on NYE: PLEASE NOTE THIS WAS FROM 2022, STILL NOTHING OFFICIAL THAT I CAN FIND FOR 2023

EDITED: I did verify with a CM that she saw that 6:30 and Midnight were both the NYE fireworks and that the party I had booked for 6:30 would be for the NYE Fireworks on 12/31
1698967543110.png

Last edited:
For 12/30 and 12/31, it’s the same Fantasy in the Sky show for all four times. The only difference is that the 6:30pm show each night is the “180 degree” version which uses the main behind the MK launch point along with two additional/supplemental behind the park launch points (same as what you see in party fireworks). The 11:50 show is the “360 degree” version where they add additional launch points in the Seven Seas Lagoon - a main launch point on an island in front of Poly that basically mirrors the main behind the MK launch point and two supplemental sides.

For 12/30 and 12/31, it’s the same Fantasy in the Sky show for all four times. The only difference is that the 6:30pm show each night is the “180 degree” version which uses the main behind the MK launch point along with two additional/supplemental behind the park launch points (same as what you see in party fireworks). The 11:50 show is the “360 degree” version where they add additional launch points in the Seven Seas Lagoon - a main launch point on an island in front of Poly that basically mirrors the main behind the MK launch point and two supplemental sides.
Do you know what time they shut down the boat launch? Our plan, good or bad (I hope I don't regret it) is to leave the park after the 6:30 post fireworks party and then head over to BRV by ferry. So, probably around 7:30/8PM we'll be leaving the park.

We should be fine right?

Do you know what time they shut down the boat launch? Our plan, good or bad (I hope I don't regret it) is to leave the park after the 6:30 post fireworks party and then head over to BRV by ferry. So, probably around 7:30/8PM we'll be leaving the park.

We should be fine right?

In years past water traffic has been stopped approximately 11:30pm-12:30am (I have a sign pic stating as such from 2021 but not 2022, but I’m pretty sure the same sign was there last year). I did the 8:30pm Hoop-dee-do-Review show last year and made it there/back from Poly (via various boat transfers) with no issues, FWIW.

Hope that helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter