• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Christmas in the World - What is it really like?

rmjkharrisfam

Mouseketeer
We're thinking about a Christmas trip and I'm wondering if anyone has experiences to share about how the parks during Christmas week. Thinking of possibly a couple of days before Christmas to a couple days after. We are a very experienced WDW family - have made many trips but normally travel in May taking our kids out of school. My DH has wanted to see the parks dressed for Christmas and so...I'm in investigation mode :)

We're a party of 5 - DH, me, DS(11), DD(8) and DD(5). Normally we stay onsite but have access to a timeshare from my parents that could be used. Kids are off school from 12/20 - 1/1. We would probably look to spend a week.

So...thoughts? Am I crazy for even thinking about Christmas with huge masses of people? Is it managable or...since we normally travel in early May when the crowds are low...would we be disappointed/frustrated with so many people in the parks?

We're thinking about a Christmas trip and I'm wondering if anyone has experiences to share about how the parks during Christmas week. Thinking of possibly a couple of days before Christmas to a couple days after. We are a very experienced WDW family - have made many trips but normally travel in May taking our kids out of school. My DH has wanted to see the parks dressed for Christmas and so...I'm in investigation mode :)

We're a party of 5 - DH, me, DS(11), DD(8) and DD(5). Normally we stay onsite but have access to a timeshare from my parents that could be used. Kids are off school from 12/20 - 1/1. We would probably look to spend a week.

So...thoughts? Am I crazy for even thinking about Christmas with huge masses of people? Is it managable or...since we normally travel in early May when the crowds are low...would we be disappointed/frustrated with so many people in the parks?

I think you will be disappointed/frustrated with so many people in the parks. Christmas Week is the single busiest week there.

Crazy crowded. like :scared1:, but if you can get going early and are able to deal with crowds, and since you've been to many times, just be happy with what you can do/get on with the crowds, have a good attitude that traffic will be absolutely jammed, and crowds will make moving difficult, the decorations are something to see.
:santa:

I love December, but we have never stayed over Christmas.

We went from Dec. 13th-19th this last year. We stayed on property, and were very pleasantly surprised with the lack of crowds.

We didn't make any ADRs and were able to eat at table service places with less than a 30 min. wait.

Lines (except for TT) were all about 30 min. or less. We waited no more than 5 minutes at Expedition Everest, 15 min. for Tower of Terror, 20 min. for Rockin' Rollercoaster, etc.

Weather was in the 60's to low 70's and only a few drops of rain.

Perfect time to go - in fact, I'm planning another trip for the same time next year.

I think crowds really increase after the 22nd. and stay crowded til after New Year's Day.

I think being an experienced WDW family as you have said may mean you can handle the parks at Christmas. Assuming you have done nearly everything at some point, you will not feel the need to do it all. You understand going in that the parks will be super crowded and you just prepare your family to go with that. If all you are really concerned about is seeing the parks decked out for the holidays, then you should have a great time. They are indeed beautiful and you will enjoy seeing them through different eyes since you have seen them undressed many times before. You will probably come away like many of us saying, "Been there, done that" and not feel the need to do it again any time soon. But doing it once is something my family will never regret.

I asked the same question of my favorite TA (who lives there) and he said no way, don't do it.

I want to go somewhere for Christmas this year and figured why not Disney, we don't HAVE to ride all of the rides because it will be the third trip of the year. But the TA shot me down pretty quickly that knowing my personality, I would not enjoy it at all.

We went this pass Christmas and we did everything we normally do fine. To be honest I didn't even notice any horrific crowds.

If you want to see the parks decked out for Christmas but with smaller crowds try early December, its a wonderful time to go!

I took my 25th WDW vacation for Christmas week 2012. I had done spring break several years before but I had never done Christmas week. In recent years I have gone mainly in May and October.

If Christmas week was the only time I could go to WDW, I would never go again. Not even if it was free. I didn't mind the horrendous lines for everything, including CS meals even at odd times of the day. But after 10 days I was really tired of being pushed, ran into, trying to stay with the others in my group, etc. One day it did rain hard and Epcot was pretty nice that day. :lmao:

Personally, unless you have to go that close the Christmas day I'd go earlier. Everything is still just as decked out and there are less crowds. We did 12/4-6 last year and it was really nice. Even with FL opening.

How is it? Crowded, packed, crowded, beautiful, crowded, crammed with people, crowded, long lines....and did I mention it is crowded? ;) I think you would be disappointed if you are used to traveling in May.

We've been at WDW every year for Christmas for the past 15 years and we LOVE it! Yes, it is crazy busy, but the atmosphere is just wonderful!

Since you are a seasoned Disney family, you should be fine...like others have said, just go realizing that you won't be able to do everything--we usually just do our favorites (rides, parades, and fireworks).

Something to think on, even if you didn't try to do much, just wanted to look around, the constant shoving and shuffling through crowds will get old fast.

Did you see all of the crowd posts last week from Spring Break/Easter crowds? Add 10% and that's Christmas.

If that sounds appealing, go for it. (We actually love Christmas week and are able to tour around the crowds - early RD, leave by lunch, loooong nap, return late evening and stay til close. Sleep a couple of hours and repeat.) But definitely look at historical crowd photos, wait times, and phase closings before you decide to go for it. :)

We went a couple of years ago in December. I would advise going earlier in the month, 1st or 2nd week. Decorations are all up and the crowds are considerably smaller. Also, the weather is nice. My DW thought it was too cold to swim, but my DD 9 and I didn't. Don't forget to visit the resorts while you're there. Some of the decoration are awesome.

WDWJeff

Wow - thanks for all of the responses. Going to have to put some serious thought to this. Thinking of my kids - both daughters would do fine with the crowds but my son might be an issue. On the other hand we normally skip the middle of the day - hitting early morning and especially late at night.

One other question - how about Thanksgiving? Decorations are up I believe? I'm guessing Thanksgiving itself is bad but what about the week after?

:)

We are heading down for the 1st time at Christmas time as a surprise for our kids(they think were going to US). We are heading down on the 18th -22nd. We are hoping the crowds will be light on the 1st few days and be crazy by the 22nd. We are doing MVMCP and then doing DMGM and AK on the last 2 days and doing MK on the 1st 2 days of our arrival. I know the crowds will be bad but I think we will miss the BIG CROWDS!!! We are then heading over to Clearwater to surprise my in-laws. I'am taking the plunge and heading to the world. I know what to expect and then add more to that. We have never done x-mas and I really want to see disney all done up. I will likely pay the price but I believe it will be worth it.:love:

First of all the parks are beautiful around the holidays. By far the bet time to go. Not between Christmas and New Years but around that time :)

Since we live a couple of hours away, we've been a few times at Christmas. Wall to wall people all day. Seriously be prepared for so many people that it's hard to walk down Main Street.

Also need to be prepared for them closing Magic Kingdom on a few days and if you are staying off site you might not get in (or back in)

When my wife and I go it is pretty much just to look around and we only go in the evening. If I get on a ride then great but I don't count on it.

On the other hand about 5 years ago my Sister in law and family - grown children - went with us from a few days before Christmas to a few days after. We were all veteran Disney folks and knew it would be crowded. It wasn't that bad. Take it back, it was that bad but we knew it would be and went with the flow.

We'd go at rope drop then come back to the house we rented. Swim, rest, eat and go back and stay until closing. Early and late were the key to doing anything. Knowing it was going to be crowded, knowing we might not get on many rides, and knowing we'd all be back again so it didn't matter made it an enjoyable trip. If we'd have to ride certain rides or see certain shows it might not have been as much fun. As it was we tried to go to MK one day and it was closed so we just diverted to another park. Also, we would skip a day between going to the parks. Go one day, have a non park day. Since we rented a big house with a pool it made it easier to do.

If I had to spend a lot of money to go I would not go between Christmas and New Years. Not worth it as you are every limited in what you can do. But it is pretty, especially at night!

Know it will be wall to wall people and go with the flow.
Duane

My first and only trip as an adult was 5 years ago Christmas week. It was beautiful but crazy busy. I honestly thought it would be slow because it was Christmas LOL LOL LOL.

Since that trip we vowed to go when it was slow. We are going in May this year :). Since I've been researching I've found so many things we didn't do or see because of how packed it was. I would go again when decorations were up but not Christmas to New Years weeks. BUT that's because we will probably only go one more time. If we went more often and had a plan I'm not sure how I would feel. Honestly we had a lovely day at AK on Christmas morning until everyone started showing up because MK was at capacity.

We are starting to plan a trip with my cousin and her family for Christmas. We are thinking of going 11/29-12/6 in a couple years. We picked early in December to avoid the crowds. We've gone over spring break and it was sooo crowded, knowing Christmas is even worse I know it would not be fun for us:/ This way we still get to see the decorations and go to MVMCP but avoid the big crowds. But if being there on Christmas Day is what you want and since you've been so many times(like PP have said) I'm sure you'll have a great time:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter