• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Christmas in DL Questions

DoleWhip81

Pirates Life For Me
I am finally going back to DL and this time I am going in December. I was wondering if anyone can give me any advise. I have heard that the Christmas decorations are very nice. Are there any special shows or food that I should look for? Any help is good help!!!!

December is my favorite time to go, especially with family. Enjoy the parade and the snow after the fireworks.

I have yet to try the pumpkin fudge, but I have heard from many, MANY people who love it. I'm not sure how long after Thanksgiving it is in the parks, but if it is there when you are, I recommend giving it a try. I plan on it next trip.

Also, they do really cool projections on the outside of Its a Small World at night. We were waiting for the parade, and they seemed to show them every 20 minutes or so. It was music and projections that lasted a couple of minutes. They might not do it this year if IASW is still down, but hopefully they do!

Also, they have a short castle lighting ceremony that is awesome to watch. They did it twice a night when we were there. They play one song, and the castle slowly lights up. It is beautiful. This was new last year, and it was lovely. If they do it again this year, make a point to see it at least once.

They have peppermint fudge that is very yummy and you can get peppermint hot chocolate at some locations. I have never seen them there, but I have also heard that the candy shop on Main Street also makes handmade candy canes that are supposed to be incredible!

Holidays at DLR are the best. Make sure that you stay for the fireworks to see the "snowfall" in the park. Now that I live someplace where it doesn't snow, going at DLR during the holidays and listening to White Christmas as the snow (bubbles) fall is one of my most treasured holiday moments!

Also, DL has one of the best Santas out there imho. I posted my story yesterday on a different thread called Santa, so check it out if you are interested. Suffice it to say, he made me believe in Santa Claus again, and I will make it a point to patronized Disney at the holidays as long as he is there!

Additional ideas:
Visit with Mrs Santa at the Reindeer Roundup and decorate some Christmas cookies during the show. She is just wonderful. She wanders around without a wrangler and really spends time with the kids. She was with us by the reindeer pen for a good 5 minutes or more last year, just hanging out!

The yule log dessert at the Plaza is really tasty after having the fried/broasted chicken dinner.

Last year, the park map had a listing of special holiday food offerings and where to find them. Hopefully they will do it again this year.

The Napa Rose has a great (but expensive) holiday meal for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Year's Eve.

Nancy

I recommend the holiday tour. You get to do many of the things people are mentioning in this thread.
You get a free sample of the pumpkin fudge, you get to skip lines for both Haunted Mansion Holiday and It's a small world holiday. You get priority seating for the holiday parade and many of the characters will come right up to you and your kiddies for some playful interaction. It's a great way to learn about the park and the holiday's at disneyland. And you get a cute pin at the end.
My dh and I did it two years ago, it was so worth the money IMO.

We spend every Christmas there. We love waking up at the GCH on Christmas morning. I still have my little snowman washcloth guy by my bath tub at home, oh and next to it is the 4th of July hat. Make dinner reservations early. We did Storytellers last year and it was really nice. I'm sure we'll do it again this year. We usually skip the fireworks due to the crazy crazy crazy crowds but we will stick around for them on Christmas just to experience the snowfall. We don't get that much here in So Cal.

I think the fireworks are TOTALLY worth seeing. If you want the great after fireworks experience, make sure you're on Main Street. My family did that, and we were beaming with happiness. Everyone is so happy and I didn't really care that there was a lot people around. Its completely enjoyable !!

You will love it! The park is beautiful all decked out for the holiday! Even all the characters are in holiday outfits. Here's a few things to do:

• Watch the carolers singing Christmas favorites on Main Street.
  • If the weather is cool grab a white hot chocolate from the Market House to sip while you watch the Christmas parade.
  • Spend some time at the Reindeer Roundup. Check out the decorations, visit Santa, see the reindeer, do some coloring pages, decorate a cookie, visit the characters and watch the show.

Oooooooooo I'm going in Dec and I'm so excited!! (It'll be our first Holiday trip.)

DoleWhip - do you have dates yet?

I believe the candlelight processional will be the 6th and 7th.

I am thinking about planning a trip the week before or after Christmas. Although I know the weather can change, can anyone tell me what the weather is generally like this time of year in DW? Can you still go swimming and wear shorts?

I've had 2 Christmas experiences with 2 different results.
The Bad: We went Christmas day until after New Years and the crowds were terrible. The wait was 60-90 min for most attractions. Main Street was a mob. I don't even remember the decorations as there was so many people.
The Good: Last year we went after Thanksgiving and it was amazing. The decorations awed us. The Santa at DCA was great. We loved the Beach Party at DCA. We come from a place where there is snow every Christmas and we were still excited when it "snowed" at Disneyland. The lights on the castle were also great. We waited about 10 min for the most popular attractions.

My favorite thing to do is decorate the cookies! I used to do it when it was held at the fire station and I always chose the Mickey cookie. I wish they still made the Mickey cookie. I also like looking at the reindeer bc they are too cute! Last year one of them got their antler stuck on the feeding trough and it broke off. I felt so bad for it, but he didn't care and went about his business. lol. Hot chocolate is a must for those chilly nights, and don't get devistated when fireworks are cancelled bc of wind or rain. Hopefully there won't be any bc I'll be there on Christmas!

I agree with XTinabell, the Holiday Tour is wonderful. It is actually the best thing we ever did at Disneyland, and that is saying a lot--considering how many times we have been there!

You can book the tour 30 days out, so mark it on your calendar 30 days prior to when you want to do it--if you are going to go on it.

It can be pricey for a larger family (I think it was 59.00 each), but totally worth it to us. The tour lasts a few hours, and you learn all there is to learn about Christmas at Disneyland--and the origins of Christmas in other countries. You get a set of headsets to listen to your tour guide, and our piped in Xmas music from his ipod to ours, and it was beyond heavenly to listen to Nat King Cole while walking through New Orleans Square! The music was half the fun. You get to walk on the rides "It's A Small World" and "Haunted Mansion Holiday" (so no line waiting), and ride the railroad. But best of all you have a perfect seat (with chair no less!) for the parade, and are given hot cocao and a christmas cookies to eat while you watch the parade.

It was so good I almost want to do it again this year! We may take another tour, though.

The parade and fireworks are different, of course. The stores are filled with Christmas items, and it is great to see all the decorations. I really love Christmas!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter