Christmas ideas for 12 year old

irishsharon

DIS Veteran
The only thing on ds list is an xbox game. We want to get him a new bike but other than that we have no idea! He is not into sports. Any ideas would be great:)

irishsharon said:
The only thing on ds list is an xbox game. We want to get him a new bike but other than that we have no idea! He is not into sports. Any ideas would be great:)

Same problem here. 2-11yo boys. Got them new bikes last month for their birthday. They each have asked for a DS game and nothing else. They just shrug when I suggest things. They aren’t into sports either.

(We don't have a WiiU or Xbox One, but they haven't asked for it either. We even have the Wii connected to an older 32" tube tv. When I suggested a new TV, they both said the old one works fine. )

This is a tough age.

I have a 9 year old and will be going the bike route too. The other thing I am thinking of is one of those brightly colored Under Armor sweatshirts that all the kids are wearing these days. I've held off this long because they are pricey, but he has asked for one. I'm hoping to get one on sale before the holidays.

My 11 year old is the same. He asked for a ps3 and a few games. Seems so little but all of that is so expensive. He still like action figures and loves attack on titan cartoon. The other day I was browsing ebay and came across titan action figures. I ordered two from Japan. I had to do a little research to make sure I was buying bootleg copies :rolleyes:. I think these will really surprise him Christmas morning.

Have you looked at thinkgeek.com. They got some really cool stuff there.

our ds is 17-so we've been dealing with this issue for years.

gaming systems are SO expensive-and while we will buy games for those he already has, we won't buy them for him.

what we ended up doing re. gaming system requests for Christmas-we got a him a water jug (think the kind on office water coolers). we put it under the tree with some money in it and a note attached. the note told him how much was in it (and whatever the amount was we put in-it was in a mix of dollar bills, silver change and pennies-to encourage him that no matter how small, every contribution adds up), how much the system cost (with tax), and how much more he had to save to buy it.

it is freaking amazing how a kid will all of a sudden decide to toss into a jug any cash/checks he's gotten for Christmas. if he's gotten gift cards for a place that sells the system they get set it aside vs. spending it-and if they get a gift card from a place mom/dad does any normal shopping (think walmart or target) then they ask if they can sell it to you in exchange for cash into the jug:rotfl:

this year his entire list was video games. so far (before i start ordering the games) I've gotten him-2 "skins" for the gaming systems he already has, some t-shirts related to the games he enjoys (think geek and such are great but can be spendy-do a google search and you might find the stuff for 1/3 the cost at jc penny or walmart), and some digital download cards (cheaper than buying the actual games). when he was younger I got a box of the "surprise" yugioh figurines off amazon (the same little boxes you get at the store with a little figurine, but buying in a lot of one dozen-for 1/4 the price), the thick books that go along with the games he had (with all the secrets to beat the game), and though he wouldn't admit to liking them (but still has them to this day)-fleece blankets with the gaming characters on them.

if your kid doesn't have a gamestop membership-it's a good gift b/c they get discounts on games/earn discounts through your/their purchases/get the gamer magazine which my 20 year old gamer dd swears by.

On Amazon (and other places) hubsan x4

This is the gift for a boy. Choice of $40.00 no camera or $60 with. More expensive ones not needed but the same one goes much higher price (I would ignore those)

We buy Itunes gift cards or prepaid AMEX cards so the kids can get what they really want, not what I think they want.

My son is 13. He wants a Dazzle to record his video game playing and post it on youtube. He did this with a group of his friends at his friend's house and loves it. I also gave him subscriptions to Loot Crate and Arcade Block which are geeky items including t-shirts, etc. that come each month. It's like Christmas each month for him. He has asked for the Guardians of the Galaxy DVD also. I just preordered the Steelbook edition from Best Buy that looks like the recorder in the movie. I bought a minecraft mini figure and guardians of the galaxy bubblehead for his stocking. He's a December birthday too - at least I get to take advantage of Black Friday sales.

I have a 9 year old and will be going the bike route too. The other thing I am thinking of is one of those brightly colored Under Armor sweatshirts that all the kids are wearing these days. I've held off this long because they are pricey, but he has asked for one. I'm hoping to get one on sale before the holidays.

My other ds will be 9 next month and I got a great deal on an under armor sweatshirt at Marshalls for him.

Same problem here. 2-11yo boys. Got them new bikes last month for their birthday. They each have asked for a DS game and nothing else. They just shrug when I suggest things. They aren’t into sports either.

(We don't have a WiiU or Xbox One, but they haven't asked for it either. We even have the Wii connected to an older 32" tube tv. When I suggested a new TV, they both said the old one works fine. )

This is a tough age.

I feel like I will be spending money just so there is something under the tree!

I can relate, I also have DS-12 that's mostly into video games! He does want a RC War Tank though. So maybe your son might like some kind of RC plane or car, or maybe nerf guns. I like the idea someone mentioned about gamer shirts or blankets. Good Luck! :thumbsup2

What is he into? Science? Arts? Gaming? Youtube? Reading?

If it were me, I'd get him some "he'd never buy himself" high end things in his interest area...

This is a tough age.

Just wait...it gets tougher.

When my DS16 was 12, he was still very much into Legos and Nerf Guns. OP, does your DS like Call of Duty? They do make some Call of Duty Mega Bloks now which are very cool.

I agree with PP about the the Game Stop membership. My DS enjoys the Game Informer magazine that comes with the membership. iTunes cards are always popular. Maybe a nice hoodie and some Nike (or whatever brand) athletic socks that are popular at his school.

Last year, our big gift to DS was 4 concert tickets to a show in Chicago. I took DS and 2 of his friends in February and we stayed overnight downtown. He loved it.

Does he have a gaming headset? What about xBox Live or Gold or whatever its called to play online? Does he have a 3DS? My DS got a 3DS XL for his birthday last year so he could still get his fix of new mario games and new pokemon games, since they don't make them for the old systems anymore.

You could start getting him collections of his favorite movies. Over the last several years, DS has gotten all the Star Wars movies, all the Harry Potter, all the Indiana Jones, all the new Batman, all the Diary of Wimpy Kid, and all the Back to the Future movies.

As far as movies and video games, November-December including Black Friday are great times to find good deals. Good luck with your shopping!

Other ideas:
Snap Circuit sets
Rubiks cube
Local pro/semi-pro sports tickets (football, baseball, basketball)
Movie tickets
lava lamp
posters/room decor
magazine subscription
boxed set of books
Tech Deck (finger skateboards, in toy section...$5-$30)
Axe shower gel/body spray
basket of favorite snacks (jerky, popcorn, Reese's, whatever)
Telescope

I have two boys, one is 11 and the other will be turning 14 in December. We also celebrate both Chanuka and Christmas, so that's a lot of gifts. We do get some small things, a calendar, books, iTunes/amazon cards etc. But we've started doing "experience" stuff...tickets for the four of us to go see a professional sporting event, for example. You could do a local play if he's not into sports. A few years ago when they still believed, Santa brought a weekend to Great Wolf Lodge. Yes, it can get pricey, but so can "stuff" they end up hardly using.

My kids are also not in to sports. I second the experiences. We've done GC for white water rafting, GC for a trip to Water Wizz (local water park), movie tickets, gift cards for snow tubing, and this year I'm thinking about GC for Six Flags. Yes, it's a delayed present, especially the stuff that's summer activities but it's stuff they love, especially since I make it more fun by packing the box with stuff that's related to the experience, new bathing suit, new crocs, etc. for the water park. new hat and gloves with the snow tubing.

Were they in to Army stuff when little? If so maybe a trip to the local airsoft gallery? My kids LOVE airsoft. So much so that they've decided to have all their own gear instead of just using the rental gear.

Between that and Boy Scouts and the experience GC their gifts are pretty much covered.

ETA - even though they are not in to reading either, they do love comic books. I've gotten them at Barnes & Noble and at Newbury Comics. They're about $4 ea and they may a great stocking stuffer.

My son is also 12 and doesn't really need anything. He has asked for a headset for his video game system. I'm thinking about buying him a Go Pro camera/video I saw at Costco, but it's expensive, and will probably be his only present from me. I thought he might could use it to be creative and maybe make a Youtube channel.

If the only thing my sons were into were were video games and sweatshirts, they would be the last thing I would buy for them. Get them a fishing pole, piano lessons, or even a gun. (gasp!) Small engines, robots, welders, a wood lathe, go pro camera, a puppy, sushi, ballet lessons, rosetta stone for the whole family. Just my opinion but I have 2 sons 11 and 8 and yes they like video games but if that is all they did I would be very worried about their future. Expand those horizons this year. My boys just might get the opposite of what they ask for.

DS just turned 12 on Tuesday and is completely uninterested in sports. He asked for Sims 4 for the computer, Minecraft for his iphone (he has it on the computer and plays with his friends), Lego architectural sets, Super Smash Bros for the 3DS and Rick Riordin books.

We bought him an Ipod to listen to podcasts at night when he goes to bed (we don't let him have his phone in his room at night), and are taking him to Universal next week for his big present.

For Christmas he'll get some clothes but mostly Minecraft stuff and Legos and 3DS games.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter