Christmas!! I can't believe we are doing it!!

KorieDWnut

<font color=darkcoral>Known to be the cranky perso
Trip is halfway paid, plane tickets are bought...we are doing it...Christmas in Disney this year! I can't believe it. We have never been away from home for the holidays. My sisters and parents are mad but my husband wanted to do something different while we could afford to and while the kids were little. I have been to DW many many times, but never on Christmas. I know how busy/crowded it can be but we plan to make the most of what we can do. I think an advantage of having been so many times before (30+ times), we can afford to slow it down a little and realize we can't do "everything" and that if one park is crowded, we can try to do something else.

So, for those of you who have been for the holidays, what are your tips? We have the DDP and will make reservations as soon as we can, but what special things do you do to make the best of a busy busy time? Keep in mind, we are NOT, I repeat, NOT rope droppers. My kids are young, but not little, 10, 12 and 14. Getting the 12 and 14yo, or even hubby up early will never happen.

We plan to take it easy. Can we bring a little Christmas tree ( like a little 1-2footer) to set up in our room?

Thanks!:cool1::cool1::cool1:

Make sure you see gingerbread house at grand Floridian. Animal kingdom lodge was also nice and you can do night vision goggles.

I was there last year and would not do MVMCP again. You will see parade for free after party dates end. The only difference I seen was free cookies and cocoa. Everyone is different but that's my opinion:)

Congrats!! We have also booked our first Christmas time trip and it's a surprise for the kids. We'll be home by the 23rd because we have awesome family who we would hate to be without on Christmas Day. However, our goal this year was instead of tons of presents this trip will be the big gift. Sure the kids will still get some smaller items and stockings and gifts from relatives but we are so looking forward to not shopping and overdoing it. We bought tickets for MVMCP and I am very much looking forward to it. I think its something I need to experience for myself to decide if it's worth it. Also make sure to check out the Candlelight Processional if interested as it gets fabulous reviews.
We are also looking forward to the Story Tellers in Epcot and touring the resorts to see all the decorations.
And yes you can bring a little tree! I am going to order one for our room too:) I think I will get mine at Amazon and stuff it in a suitcase and then hopefully find someone to give it to when we check out:)

Go to the resorts and look at the Christmas Decorations.
The camp ground is really decked out, with people decorating their campsites.
You can rent bikes or walk around the campgrounds.-it is a very large place.

Trails End has a great restaurant.

I would do a day on the Mono-rails and look at the resort decorations.
Eat an appitizer in one resort, entre in another and dessert in another.
Each hotel as a C.S. or quick place to get food.

...So, for those of you who have been for the holidays, what are your tips? We have the DDP and will make reservations as soon as we can, but what special things do you do to make the best of a busy busy time? Keep in mind, we are NOT, I repeat, NOT rope droppers. My kids are young, but not little, 10, 12 and 14. Getting the 12 and 14yo, or even hubby up early will never happen.

We plan to take it easy. Can we bring a little Christmas tree ( like a little 1-2footer) to set up in our room?

If you don't plan on arriving at the park until 10AM or later, plan on not getting into the park at all. You really need to plan on arriving when the park opens if you are going to have any fun at all at the parks.

We went to Disney for Xmas this year. Xmas eve we went to Ioa and Xmas day to SeaWorld to try and avoid the crowds. We went to mk on the 26th got there for rope drop and left around 3. We got fps for mermaid and pooh. Pirates and hm were walkons. Longest wait was for Dumbo.

We went to Epcot on the 30th and spent NYE at Hollywood studios.

If you don't plan on arriving at the park until 10AM or later, plan on not getting into the park at all. You really need to plan on arriving when the park opens if you are going to have any fun at all at the parks.

AGREE with this 100%...You may not be rope -droppers but during this timeframe it really makes a HUGE difference between riding alot and not riding much at all and for MK it means the difference between getting in and getting turned away for a capacity closure.Maybe if you let your kids know in advance just how busy it is and what it will be like later in the day that will sell them on getting up early.If they are ok with not riding much or getting shut out of mk than I would do som of the non-park activities mentioned. Other Orlando parks like Universal/IOA and Seaworld are also packed this week

I am far from experienced, but thought i'd offer my opinion anyway. :)

We are going for a couple of weeks but beginning just before New Years. We're planning on doing some of the tours - Backstage Magic and Backstage Safari on the worst of the busy days.

If you haven't done them before and they fall within your budget perhaps that could be a fun idea for your family?

We have been to WDW about the same amount as the OP, and XMAS week thru NYE about 5 times. Its our fave actually. Part of it is getting out of winter of course, but the decor/ambiance alone makes it worth just walking around.

We have never been turned away that week-although for NYE we usually do EPCOT from BCV-so maybe the IG gets a little exception? We usually walk in around 5PM for NYE. XMAS day 2010 we had XMAS dinner at WL, then went MK for the XMAS day parade with no problem getting in. But just cuz we didn't have probs-doesn't mean u wont.

We do a rope drop for AK and buz thru that by noonish. And we rope drope MK one day that week to cross off a bunch there. Other than that, we stay out late and sleep in.

The big thing for us is the long park hours that week (MK was open 7AM to 3AM most of the week)-as well as the multiple shows. 3 Fantasmics per night means you will get that in any eve you want. We like to do the early Fantasmic-then boat to EPCOT for the Extended Illuminations which is great.

We were there this past year for Christmas. I believe (no guarantees here!) that only MK ever closed for capacity during the time we were there (Christmas eve through New Year's day), and then during mid-day, like some times between 10-3 or so, then would re-open. I did hear that traffic was AWFUL, we arrived at rope drop or VERY shortly afterwards each day, but ended most days relatively early.
I do suggest avoiding Downtown Disney all together that week, it was impossible to find parking (maybe better if you're using disney transport), and so crowded walking around (but both times we went we didn't wait very long for food either at Wolfgang Puck Express or Earl of Sandwich).
We spent New Years Eve at Epcot, but, we're early birds, so saw the 630 pm Illuminations (big surprise for us that they showed it so early that night! They ran it twice, 630 and midnight). That single day was the busiest we were there. Most other days we tried to avoid the busiest park, that day we didn't care, so just dealt with the crowds, knowing we weren't really going to get anything done!
We had a great time and would probably do Christmas there again, but maybe in 5 years or so, after another trip or two in less busy times.
I think your attitude is great, and the fact that you go so frequently is great so you won't feel the need to do everything.

Trip is halfway paid, plane tickets are bought...we are doing it...Christmas in Disney this year! I can't believe it. We have never been away from home for the holidays. My sisters and parents are mad but my husband wanted to do something different while we could afford to and while the kids were little. I have been to DW many many times, but never on Christmas. I know how busy/crowded it can be but we plan to make the most of what we can do. I think an advantage of having been so many times before (30+ times), we can afford to slow it down a little and realize we can't do "everything" and that if one park is crowded, we can try to do something else.

So, for those of you who have been for the holidays, what are your tips? We have the DDP and will make reservations as soon as we can, but what special things do you do to make the best of a busy busy time? Keep in mind, we are NOT, I repeat, NOT rope droppers. My kids are young, but not little, 10, 12 and 14. Getting the 12 and 14yo, or even hubby up early will never happen.

AGREE with this 100%...You may not be rope -droppers but during this timeframe it really makes a HUGE difference between riding alot and not riding much at all and for MK it means the difference between getting in and getting turned away for a capacity closure.Maybe if you let your kids know in advance just how busy it is and what it will be like later in the day that will sell them on getting up early.If they are ok with not riding much or getting shut out of mk than I would do som of the non-park activities mentioned. Other Orlando parks like Universal/IOA and Seaworld are also packed this week

Yes you can bring a tree for your room. I also have to agree with the previous posters. I'm sure that's not what you want to hear. If you don't plan to be at the park at rope drop then you should definitely have low expectations to ride many rides unless you enjoy waiting in 2 hr. lines. If you're ok with just enjoying the atmosphere of the parks without riding many rides then you should be ok arriving late. But as a PP mentioned you should set the expectations with your family beforehand if they're not willing to get up. It really is the one time of year it makes a huge difference.

Definitely try to tour as many resorts as you can especially the deluxe resorts. The decorations really are spectacular. There's a carriage ride at Ft. Wilderness that takes you around to see all the decorated camp sites. That's lots of fun. People go all out. You can visit the mini golf courses if the parks are too crowded. You might get lucky with the weather & be able to visit a water park. We did that on Christmas Day 2 yrs. ago. We practically had the place to ourselves. It was fantastic. Don't miss the Osborne Festival of Dancing Lights at DHS & if you go to Epcot try to catch as many of the holiday storytellers as you can. That's a nice way to enjoy Epcot if you're not getting on any rides.

Good luck & enjoy your trip.

Allies mom said:
I was there last year and would not do MVMCP again. You will see parade for free after party dates end. The only difference I seen was free cookies and cocoa. Everyone is different but that's my opinion:)

I so agree!!

You will love it. My family has been going for the last 10 years. We will camp at fort Wilderness from the 14th of December until the 20th of December 2013. I want to recommend that you got to Ft Wilderness and see the decorations that the campers put up. You also need to go to the different resorts and check out the decorations at the resorts. Good Luck and I hope your family has the best time.:santa: :santa: :santa:

we were just there for christmas in 2012 (it was our 2nd christmas and 7th trip) we went knowing it was going to be busy and went with the flow. we hopped and went back to the room in the afternoon. we didnt make rope drop very often (well, we did one 8a, breakfast at mk and that was a huge feat!)

it was busy, we fp what we could and waited in some lines. but it was fine, especially when you go often and you know you will be back! you make sure you do your favs and the anything else you get done is frosting on the cake. we didnt go to a park at all on christmas day, we toured the resorts on the monorail loop and had dinner at ohana, we walked from the gf to the poly for the first time, that was a nice walk and relaxed on the beach before dinner.

a couple of parks closed while we were there, but none of the ones we were going to that day. there was a huge traffic jam when we were trying to go to dhs one day but that was the only traffic we hit.

we brought a little tree, but santa only left stockings under there this time. nothing big to lug home. mostly little treats, ds games and movies.

i agree about skipping the mvmvp, we went the first christmas trip and it wasnt a big deal. we saw christmas wishes and the christmas parade the whole rest of the week. cookies and lemonade is free in the resorts on christmas day (but i think it was on a few other days too).

the only thing i wish we worked into our plans was going to the camp ground to check out the decorations. the time i made our christmas dinner ressie didnt work out for that and i couldnt change it. next time!

im sure you will have a great time. your family will get over it, do what feels right for you guys!

i would go for christmas again in a minute....4th of july is something i would rethink :scared:

Christmas at Disney is the BEST; you're going to love it. I second the Osborne Lights. You should also check out the MK castle lights show and the parade.

We were there for Christmas '12 and on Christmas Day we went to Epcot and did the Candlelight Processional. It's somewhat religious but was definitely festive.

We also shipped ourself a small tree from Amazon. It was super cheap and pre-lighted and we just left it there afterwards.

The crowds weren't as bad as I was expecting. Yes, they were definitely there, but they didn't bother me as much as I thought. A couple days we took naps in the afternoons and that helped. But it was so worth it for the atmosphere. Maybe we'll have to go back again this year ;)

We are going for Christmas this year too. We are a rope drop family. But I think if you don't do rope I would make sure to do later evenings/nights when crowds are a little. I think it's going to be a blast and if you go in with the attitude you already seem to have you are going to be just fine! I personally can't wait... Have fun!!

We had a family reunion over Christmas 2010. It was my immediate family (Dh, DD 2 years old, and I was 8 months pregnant), my parents in their 60's, and my brother and his wife and three kids ranging from 2-7. We stayed at a condo off-site so we spent most of Christmas Eve and Day in our condo. My birthday is the 23rd and we spent the afternoon/evening at Epcot walking around because we had driven all night the night before.

The weather was probably a big factor because it was freezing that Christmas. I can't remember where we were for Christmas Eve but Christmas Day was at Animal Kingdom and we didn't arrive until late morning/early afternoon. There were definitely huge lines for the big rides but it wasn't a huge deal with us because 1. my daughter was 2 and couldn't ride the thrill rides and 2. I was pregnant and couldn't either. I don't think we'll do Christmas again with our kids now when they can both ride most everything but if you've been there before and can go again you should be ok.

We treat every Disney trip with the idea that it isn't our first time, nor our last, so if anything is crowded/closed down/etc. it isn't the end of the world. My DD, now 4, still talks about not going on certain rides because the line was too long and she's totally ok with that :)

Pack warm and have fun!

We took a 3 foot tree and decorations in a suitcase and took it on the plane. We also covered our door with a door cover and hung lights and garland in the windows!

We spent Christmas at Disney in 2011. "Santa" brought tickets on Christmas Eve and we left that night. Spent Christmas day and the following day at Disney. It was our first trip. We loved it. Wouldn't have traded it for anything. It truly was magical. Disney is beautiful at Christmas. I hope you guys have a great trip.

Let me just add, I'm secretly glad that our first trip was at Christmas, when we went back the following march the crowds were a cakewalk compared to Christmas day. It was a huge change for us because we were used to Christmas crowds. :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter