• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Christmas Decorations at Disney 1st week of Jan? How crowded are parks 1st wk of Jan?

disneystar65

Earning My Ears
Hi, Considering our first winter trip to Disney, maybe arriving New Year's day. Do you know if the Christmas decoratiosn will still be up that week, and how crowded are the parks?
Thank you

I was looking into hotels and I read something about a Marathon first week in January does anyone know what this is and if it affects crowds in parks?
Thanks

We were there Jan 1-7 this year and the first few days of January were very crowded. We were at Hollywood Studios on Jan 2 and it was shoulder to shoulder. Rock n Roller coaster had a 2 hour wait! Monday the 3rd, we were at Magic Kingdom and it was also crowded. Then after that, the crowds got lighter. On Thursday the 6th, ds and dh walked on to Expedition Everest 3 times!

Marathon weekend did not seem to have an impact on crowds. we were at Epcot that day and didn't notice any higher crowds.

If you go that week, just make a schedule according to the crowds. For example, we went to Hollywood studios on a fantasmic night and one of the last nights of Osbourne Lights which contributed to high crowd levels.

Also, the weather was PERFECT that week. 70's during the day! But also be prepared for cooler weather in case.

I think its a good time to go. We LOVED it!!

And yes, the Christmas decorations were still up! Christmas trees in the resort lobbys. Christmas trees and decorations at the parks. :)
Have fun!

As you can see by my sig, we went the second week. The Christmas decorations were up and Christmas music was played the entire week which was a tad odd. We did miss the Osbourne lights by a day, which was sad, and the day we flew in was the last day for the resort Christmas trees, as ours was gone the next morning, though the park trees remained.

And everything was walk-on! It was fantastic and I really recommend going then if you can.

They day of the marathon was fine. We were in Epcot that day and all they ask you to do is kind of congregate at a few "crosswalks" and dash in between the marathoners when there is a break that way the race isn't interrupted. We waited maybe a minute, darted across, and found the area near Mission: Space and Test Track to be even more deserted than earlier that week because people couldn't be bothered to go over there!

If you're driving around or staying in a resort with a lot of runners it might be more trafficky around the marathon, but if you're getting into the parks around 9, 9:30 then it's already underway and spread out by then so I wouldn't think you'd notice a thing.

ANyone have any idea how early the lights/decorations go up? I was looking to go in December, but these $80 flights seems to be non-existent then. I can get some in mid November, so wondering if they will be decorated by then. I really want the kids to see it decorated.

Went in 2006 first week of January, arrived Jan 2 and stayed to the 9th.

We thought it was perfect crowds, not very busy at all! And the Christmas decorations were still there:) It's a good time of year to go!

Hi, Considering our first winter trip to Disney, maybe arriving New Year's day. Do you know if the Christmas decoratiosn will still be up that week, and how crowded are the parks?
Thank you

The decorations were still up the entire time we were there (though they seemed to thin out throughout the duration) at the parks, but not at the resorts January 4-13 of this year.

I was looking into hotels and I read something about a Marathon first week in January does anyone know what this is and if it affects crowds in parks?
Thanks

Crowds were AMAZING! Weather was INCREDIBLE! If I could get away with it, I would never go any other time except January.

You have all made my day! I am so excited I have ALWAYS wanted to go to see the decorations and Osbourne lights but DH can not take off around holidays. Thank you so much!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter