Christmas decor still up after New Years?

SamSam

http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
Does anyone know how long the Christmas Decorations are left up? We already have a trip the first part of November for the Wine and Food Fest, so another trip in December would be pushing it. However, I think I could make January work if the decorations are still up. :)

We like to go for New Year's eve, and the Christmas decorations are all still up then, but they start taking them down fairly soon after that, I'd guess they begin around Jan 3rd. I think the Osborne lights at MGM are about the last thing to come down and I think this year that seemed to me around Jan 12th or so.

I remember them taking down the large lighted canapy that covers the walkway at Epcot between Future World and World showcase. I don't remember the dates, but I recall each day we went it was shorter and after about 4-days it was gone completely. (They do everything at night after park closings, you never see them actually taking it down, with the one exception of the Osborne lights when you take the Back Lot tour.)

Edit: Just to clarify, the simple decorations are all down within a day or two of when they start. I think they start around Jan 2nd or 3rd, depending on how the weekend fits in there. The big stuff takes a little longer, but within about a week it's all gone. The Osborne lights stay up a little longer, but then it takes them several weeks to get all those lights down.

We stayed this past New Years 12/29-1/6. They were still up at the resorts and the parks. However, I would imagine they started dismantling them the Monday 1/7/2002.

Some things start to come down before NYE. But, you might not notice them (wreaths off the bridge and hats off the dolphins at OKW). The majority of decorations should be up through the first week of January. After that, chances are they'll be gone.

we were there the 7th to the 11th of Jan and the trees were still up at AK, GF, and WL. They were in the process of taking down the osbourne lights when we took the backlot tour on the 11th. I am sure there were lots already taken down.

Mike

We spent Jan. 6 - Jan. 13, 2002, in WDW and I was shocked that the Christmas decorations were still up everywhere (parks and resorts) upon our arrival and they were still up in the resorts on Jan. 13th. I actually was disappointed to still all the Christmas decorations still up so long because for me this was a vacation to get away from up north and relax after the holidays.

I believe that during the weekdays they began dismantaling the decorations in the parks but not in the resorts at all.

Now, even though the decorations were still up in the parks, they were not lit at night. For instance, the gateway bridge thingy in Epcot was still up with lights but not lit. The Osborne lights were still up in MGM but not lit.

Does anyone know if this is the norm for WDW or did they just leave the resort decorations up extra long this year? For anyone who arrived after Sunday, Jan. 13th, when did they begin taking the resort decorations down????? I just figured that with the staff cutbacks they had less personnel to dismantle this past season.

Thank you all for your quick responses, now I have to decide what to do. :) I think my problem is I would love to be there every month, but living in Kansas that just isn't an option.:)

We often visit during the first week or two in January - the decorations are generally still in place for at least the first week of January at the resorts, but not necessarily at the parks. Isn't it tradition to leave decorations up til at least 12 days after Christmas?

Taking down the Osborn lights is a big job. We were there Jan. 19-30 this year, and they were still taking them down then. Most were gone by the 30th though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter