Christmas Day?

neener3

Mouseketeer
We're going to Disney from December 21-28, and are wondering what park we should plan for Christmas Day? Aside from the Christmas Parade in MK, is there anything else that goes on?

We know it will be crazy busy, but I'm a teacher and am unwilling to take unpaid time, so we're just preparing for the worst crowds, making a plan, and are willing to throw the plan out the window if our two year old dictates otherwise! We will be doing rope drop, as our child doesn't believe in sleeping past 6:30. Ever.

Check easywdw.com. They don't have the calendar for this December yet, but it shouldn't be different for this year.

Truthfully, I'd avoid MK at all costs, especially with a 2y/o. How about making it a somewhat mellow family day? Leisurely breakfast at the resort with possible swim time. ADRs at EPCOT for early lunch and get a Candlelight Processional with dining package at Biergarten(wonderful event dining and child-friendly buffet) and the early CP show. Every country has a Christmas tale which is not only educational but beautiful and unique to the season. EPCOT handles crowds better being more spread out and there are many shady locations to park the stroller when it's naptime;) no matter what park you go to that week, get your dining ADRs at 180 days. there will be no walkins that time of year. CP packages open later. We love love WDW during the Holiday. Done right with preplanning makes all the differnce though:surfweb:

Sounds familiar - I am also taking DD(will turn 2 on dec 23) over Christmas for the holidays and her birthday. She also never sleeps past 6:30. :rolleyes:

We are planning to hit AK on Christmas Day. From what I've heard, that is the best choice!

We spent Christmas Week at WDW two years ago. I second doing Candlelight Processional that week. We did MK Christmas Eve and crowds were not too bad, stayed for parade and fireworks. AK on Christmas day is a great plan, we did that, the crowds were manageable and we really enjoyed the change of pace. The 26th was a much better day at MK , so we celebrated Boxing Day there. Make your ADR's as soon as you can, that made all the difference.

The park closures will give you an idea of which park you can actually get into. Epcot holds the most people, but AK may be your best bet.

We spent Christmas Day in WDW in 2008, 2010, 2011 and probably 2013 as well. I can tell you from experience AK at rope drop is actually surprisingly pleasant. We typically goto DHS on the 24th and AK on the 25th. The 21st-25th although busy are actually manageable if you have a plan and hit the slow park. Starting on the 26th the crowds are insane no matter what. I would recommend hitting MK and Epcot your first couple of days, DHS and AK like I said. Then from the 26th-28th just hit the parks a couple hours at a time so the crowd doesn't wear you out and do everything you wanted to do outside the parks.

We have stayed the last 2 years for 2 weeks at Christmas, the week before and the week of. I agree that you have to have a plan to enjoy the parks at this time of the year. Also being there for rope drop is a must! You will be surprised how many people will sleep in. Also use EMH if u r staying on site! We did AK on Christmas Day the 1st yr and there was no one there. Last yr I promised my DH that we would do MK on Christmas, we stayed until around noon and left, it was beginning to get too crowded for us. 2 yrs ago we went to MK the 26th, it was EMH and basically had the park to ourselves for a couple of hours. It is totally worth it though!! It's sooo magical being there on Christmas!!

We're going to Disney from December 21-28, and are wondering what park we should plan for Christmas Day? Aside from the Christmas Parade in MK, is there anything else that goes on?

We know it will be crazy busy, but I'm a teacher and am unwilling to take unpaid time, so we're just preparing for the worst crowds, making a plan, and are willing to throw the plan out the window if our two year old dictates otherwise! We will be doing rope drop, as our child doesn't believe in sleeping past 6:30. Ever.

Just so you know, the Christmas Day parade is pre-taped closer to the beginning of December. The one shown on TV Christmas Day is not live, so you won't see it then.

Just so you know, the Christmas Day parade is pre-taped closer to the beginning of December. The one shown on TV Christmas Day is not live, so you won't see it then.
Allot of folks expect to see the Christmas day parade and its not happening.:(

We have been at WDW several Christmas' now and the only time we were actually frightened by the crowds was in the MK on Christmas Day. I would advise you to avoid it, as have others, at all costs, especially with small children.

We try to make a breakfast and dinner reservation at a resort and then perhaps slip into MK for the parade (if the park isn't closed down) only and quickly split. Of course, it's not the taped parade.

We'll be there this year and hope to attend the Candlelight Processional on Christmas Eve or Christmas night which is always good.

There's always Downtown Disney, too.

Hope some of this might help. Have a good time whatever you do.
Don't be scared...just plan...it'll be fun. We're in the same "school" routine so we understand. Don't miss the Osbourne lights either!

Auntie Peep

It's usually taped in different segments the first two weeks if dec.

The entire show is taped the first weekend after Thanksgiving starting Thursday for show stage shows and the parade is taped Saturday morning with Sunday as a rain date.

But OP as other have posted if you are expecting a special Xmas morning parade with celebrity performers you are going to be disappointed. They have the same xmas parade they play all week.

Also I have always read it not crazy busy but stupid crazy busy. :)

One more heads up....MK usually has morning EMH EVERY morning that week beginning at 7:00 a.m. However, there is no guarantee they will do this again. At any rate, you'll want to be up even before 6:30 to make that rope drop!

Thank you everyone! I would have thought "Magic Kingdom = Magical on Christmas Day", but I think we will stay far, far away. Now to confer with the rest of the party!

I'm really excited about the Candlelight Processional too :) Here's to hoping that the two year old cooperates.

Thank you everyone! I would have thought "Magic Kingdom = Magical on Christmas Day", but I think we will stay far, far away. Now to confer with the rest of the party!

I'm really excited about the Candlelight Processional too :) Here's to hoping that the two year old cooperates.

Candlelight Processional is a whole other ball of wax. For this you will almost have to have a package. For Xmas day people may line up as soon as the park opens for stand by.

Side thought, who do they get for this? I know they get a list of A/B celebrities for the days leading up to Xmas week but what celebrity is available for this time?

Side thought, who do they get for this? I know they get a list of A/B celebrities for the days leading up to Xmas week but what celebrity is available for this time?

It seems to me that they often get Gary Sinise for the dates that include Christmas.

We spent Christmas Day 2012 at Blizzard Beach. It was not crowded at all and it was a very fun, pleasant day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter