Christmas at Disneyland, how's the weather?

DiznyDeeDee

Earning My Ears
Hello,
My husband & I have planned a suprise trip to Disneyland for our family. The kids don't have a clue. They think we didn't go to Disneyworld this past summer because we had a pool put into our backyard. LOL They will really be shocked when they open their presents on Christmas eve to find a big note that says "your going to Disneyland!"

Anyway, we have never been there in December and wanted to know what the weather is usually like. What kind of clothes should I pack?

Thanks for all your help,

DiznyDeeDee & family
:disrocks:
::cop: :earsgirl: princess: pirate:

2000- All Star Sports
2001 - All Star Sports
2002 - Disneyworld off site
2003 - Disneyland Hyatt Regency
2004 - Disneyland Feb. & Disneyworld June
2005 - All Star Music
2006 - California

DiznyDeeDee said:
Hello,
My husband & I have planned a suprise trip to Disneyland for our family. The kids don't have a clue. They think we didn't go to Disneyworld this past summer because we had a pool put into our backyard. LOL They will really be shocked when they open their presents on Christmas eve to find a big note that says "your going to Disneyland!"

Anyway, we have never been there in December and wanted to know what the weather is usually like. What kind of clothes should I pack?

Thanks for all your help,

DiznyDeeDee & family
:disrocks:
::cop: :earsgirl: princess: pirate:

2000- All Star Sports
2001 - All Star Sports
2002 - Disneyworld off site
2003 - Disneyland Hyatt Regency
2004 - Disneyland Feb. & Disneyworld June
2005 - All Star Music
2006 - California

wow I wish I was a kid and getting that kind of gift...as it is I have to pay my own way if I want it :sad2: we just recently had a post regarding weather in dec...and all I can say is California is crazy when it comes to weather...you never know...it could be cold one day and blazing hot the next...the only recommendation I really have for you is to just keep an eye out on the weather channel or online the week before you are going and see if there is a pattern...right now its pretty warm and last year at thanksgiving I was wearing shorts..california weather is definitely not know for predictability :confused3

I would come prepared to wear shorts during the day, and by nightfall be freezing enough to wear hats, coats and gloves. :cold: Really! This has happened to us. During the day...nice and warm, :sunny: but when the sun goes down, WATCH OUT! Actually I am coming in Dec. too, and I will probably wear capris and a tee-shirt, and then have all my warm gear stuffed in a locker just in case it gets cold. My husband will probably wear shorts, and just a sweatshirt as he is much more warm blooded than me. :rolleyes1 It could also rain, but that is rather rare, but it's nice to be prepared. :umbrella: When we have sat and waited for a parade or fireworks, a blanket was wonderful. A blanket is also nice to sit on and wait for Fantasmic. Now we are staying at the GC, but I still might cart all of this in, as I might be too tired to walk back. I don't know yet. Think I'll play it by ear. We went to WDW last Christmas, and I'll be packing about the same this year as last. Which means everything in layers. Have fun. You will love the decorations and attraction overlays. :santa: :tinker:

We are also going in December! In December 2004, I had brought tons of warm clothes and actually had to buy some short sleeve t-shirts! It was in the high 80's to 90's and I was roasting in long sleeves. Another year in December we all needed heavy jackets. You just can never tell so bring layers!

Don't mean to highjack this thread, but is anyone at DL Dec. 27-29 and wants to meet?
And don't forget, if you don't pack enough, that means souvenirs. I have a Mickey knit cap, sweatpants, sweatshirt, etc that are all souvenirs of different Dec. trips.

dwheatl said:
Don't mean to highjack this thread, but is anyone at DL Dec. 27-29 and wants to meet?
And don't forget, if you don't pack enough, that means souvenirs. I have a Mickey knit cap, sweatpants, sweatshirt, etc that are all souvenirs of different Dec. trips.
Hee! Hee! :teeth: That's what happened to me on one of our Dec. trips. Have gloves, a sweatshirt, and a Santa Mickey Fleece hat, :santa: thanks to an extra cold night! :tinker:

:rotfl: I sometimes purposely "forget" ;) to bring a sweater or sweatshirt so that when my DH sees me shivering, he tells me we should get me something to stay warm!!
As to the weather question, I too will say that there is no set rule for CA weather. It can be very hot, but even on a hot day in December, it gets very cool at night. We also have very cool weather and sometimes (gasp) rain. When your trip gets close go to www.weather.com and you can get a 10 day weather report. This should help with packing. But leave room in those suitcases for "emergency supplies"

well coming from the east coast I will heave on heavy clothes before I even get on the plane Dec 22, I plan on packing light weight and no heavy weight, I'll just buy sweatshirts there, I wear jeans all the time anyhow. all I know is I'll be going soon and to me that is a big time. :santa:

The thing about LA in winter, is it can be very sunny, clear but windy and FREEZING. I would bring hats and gloves. Someone said shorts. I would not count on wearing shorts in Dec. Dress in layers, and dont forget the sunscreen and chapstick. It can be very dry and windy. On new years day parade it always looks soo sunny and warm and wonderful, but once that dry wind kicks up you can freeze to death.

Shorts, maybe. Sweatshirt, gloves, warm hat, gloves, scarves, definitely. It can get really cold while waiting for Holiday Fireworks and snow. Oh, and warm socks-the cold from the pavement can seep right through your shoes. And if you're waiting on the west side of Fantasmic, you will most likely get wet from the spray. Then you'll really be cold. Oh, and sometimes it actually does rain in California-so be prepared. And our evenings are typically damp here, all year round.

After all this, you wonder if I go to DL in December-of course :cool1: I wouldn't miss the holidays at Disney.

Have fun and keep warm!

Leofoenget said:
The thing about LA in winter, is it can be very sunny, clear but windy and FREEZING. I would bring hats and gloves. Someone said shorts. I would not count on wearing shorts in Dec. Dress in layers, and dont forget the sunscreen and chapstick. It can be very dry and windy. On new years day parade it always looks soo sunny and warm and wonderful, but once that dry wind kicks up you can freeze to death.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the wind. One year on New Year's Eve the wind was driving grit into everybody's eyes. People had to feel their way out of the park. That was unusual, but a cold wind does blow through DL in December.

We were there last Christmas and it was very HOT! We wore our sandals, shorts and t-shirts and tank tops. It does cool off a bit in the evening. The kids had a ton of fun playing in the pool at HOJO's.

We brought a pair of jeans with us, but they never got taken out of the suitcase except for the trip home.

Being from Calgary, it was warm spring weather in the mornings and summer weather in the day.

We were laughing as we walked by people in our sandals and shorts and they were wearing parkas with fur, toques (winter hats), and full winter gear.....

I suppose it totally depends where you are from..

We were there last year just before Christmas, and the weather was absolutely beautiful. Kids swam--we wore shorts/capris. Nighttime required light jacket/sweatshirt, and I do remember the guys having to buy caps to keep their heads warm. Overall, just perfect. (We're used to hitting WDW during the summer, and I remember we kept remarking we weren't used to being in Disney without sweating!)
But do check weather.com right before you go. I recommend layers.
And enjoy the "snow" on Main Street. Beautiful. :sunny:

DisneyDotty said:
We were there last year just before Christmas, and the weather was absolutely beautiful. Kids swam--we wore shorts/capris. Nighttime required light jacket/sweatshirt, and I do remember the guys having to buy caps to keep their heads warm. Overall, just perfect. (We're used to hitting WDW during the summer, and I remember we kept remarking we weren't used to being in Disney without sweating!)
But do check weather.com right before you go. I recommend layers.
And enjoy the "snow" on Main Street. Beautiful. :sunny:

Well last year we (CA) had a very wacky winter. It stayed very warm until about Feb then it rained (felt like) non stop until almost June. You can't go by last year as a guide to CA winter weather.

Shelebeen said:
We were there last Christmas and it was very HOT! We wore our sandals, shorts and t-shirts and tank tops. It does cool off a bit in the evening. The kids had a ton of fun playing in the pool at HOJO's.

We brought a pair of jeans with us, but they never got taken out of the suitcase except for the trip home.

Being from Calgary, it was warm spring weather in the mornings and summer weather in the day.

We were laughing as we walked by people in our sandals and shorts and they were wearing parkas with fur, toques (winter hats), and full winter gear.....

I suppose it totally depends where you are from..

That's so funny! I'm from Calgary too and last time we were there we were wearing shorts and going on the grizzly river run getting soaked and the people we were sitting with were all huddled together in their wintercoats and sweaters and my sisters and I are having a great time cooling off in the splashes of that ride! It definately depends where you're from.

I have one more thought on Christmas weather in CA. As someone who was raised in NJ and has now lived in CA for quite a number of years now, CA cold is NOTHING like Cold in the east, mid-west and north. When I first moved here, I wore no more than a sweater on days when Californians were bundled up. Even after living here for so long now, I still hardly ever wear a coat. So "quite cold" here is 50's to low 60's. Of course it gets quite a bit colder at night. So in most cases you will definitely not need to bundle up!

Thank you so much for all your advice. We are from East TX/South AR. I am sure we will love the weather. Big change from being in layers & layers. LOL

Oh, can anyone tell me how you post a pic in your messages?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter