Christmas at Disney2005

disneyxmas05

Earning My Ears
We are planning a trip to Disney starting December 23, 2005 and we leave December 28th. We are looking for advice for traveling during the busiest times of the year. Can anyone help?

Will this be your first trip to Disney or have you been there several times?

We were there last year from about 12/18 - 12/28. The biggest advantage for us was our annual passes and the visits we had made earlier in the year. If there was a line, we skipped it. If the parks closed because they reached capacity, we moved on to another.

If we had been trying to see it all and do it all, the holidays would NOT be the time to go. We just enjoyed the atmosphere and worked in the attractions we could. Even at that we had a few minor disappointments, like the pin trading event we had anticipated and missed because they weren't allowing non-guests to park at the resort because of the crowds.

Sheila

swilshire said:
We were there last year from about 12/18 - 12/28. Sheila

What day during your stay did the parks seem to really crowd up? We are thinking of going Dec. 19-26, and I am hoping that it won't start getting busy until around the 22/23rd.

swilshire, I have been to Disney 3 times and my husband once. I took my oldest when she was 3yrs old. She loved it. She will be 9yrs old this time, but her brothers are going to be 3yrs and 21 months when we go. I'm hoping the kids will be excited about the atmosphere and we are going mostly to see the Characters. Do you know anything about the Christmas activities at Magic Kingdom? The parade and show they show on television every Christmas day? I would like to take my daughter, but my travel agent says the tickets are $75.00 a piece above what I've already paid. I'm wondering if it is worth it? I've also read that going to Magic Kingdom on Christmas day is the worst. Any advice?
Thanks

Hi there,
I do not know if you are aware that the Parade that they show on Christmas Day is actually pretaped! :confused3
If you search you will find a lot of information on Mickey's Verry Merry Christmas Party(MVMCP) which is held on various dates through December, the last being December 20th I think. The tickets are approx. 43.00 for Adults and 33?for kids.

I know there are all kinds of different Christmas parades held at each park and alot of beautiful decorations at the resorts.
good luck
Kristin

I actually wasn't aware of that, but I did notice the other discussions. I wish my travel agent would of let me know that. Oh well, I guess that solves that issue. Are you aware of any special activities that are actually on Christmas Day? Thanks for the info.

krishouse said:
Hi there,
I do not know if you are aware that the Parade that they show on Christmas Day is actually pretaped! :confused3
If you search you will find a lot of information on Mickey's Verry Merry Christmas Party(MVMCP) which is held on various dates through December, the last being December 20th I think. The tickets are approx. 43.00 for Adults and 33?for kids.

I know there are all kinds of different Christmas parades held at each park and alot of beautiful decorations at the resorts.
good luck
Kristin

I don't think they need to be concerned about the MVMCP during the period that they are looking at. I normally go a week or so before Xmas when the parade is the Share your Dream Come True (or something like that) parade. During the MVMCP they run a Xmas-oriented parade and they have Mickey's Tis the Night Before Xmas at the theater. Last year I went during Xmas week. I went to the MK on the 23rd and the parade was the Xmas parade and the theater did have the Twis the Night. I also went to the MK on Xmas and the 1:00 PM parade was cancelled due to the rain (they may have ran it later at 4 or so but I left soaked way before then). I may be wrong but I think that the parades that they see will be the Xmas parade given the dates that were listed.

Thanks so much for the info, I really appreciate it. I'm sure we will find plenty to do. Does anyone have any advice as to which park is the best to visit on Christmas Day?

I have a question on the same lines. The OP mentioned that her travel agent said the tickets for xmas day were $75.

We have AP's. Will we have to purchase seperate tickets if we want to go to the MK on xmas day? I've already purchased tickets to MVMCP for 12/20.

thanks

Mac and Us said:
I have a question on the same lines. The OP mentioned that her travel agent said the tickets for xmas day were $75.

We have AP's. Will we have to purchase seperate tickets if we want to go to the MK on xmas day? I've already purchased tickets to MVMCP for 12/20.

thanks

Mac and Us...we'll be seeing ya at the MVMCP on 12/20...we bought our tickets a couple of weeks ago. We arrive at WDW on 12/18 and depart on Christmas Day...not sure of the times as I'm holding out for Southwest's airfares...

momsgoofy said:
Mac and Us...we'll be seeing ya at the MVMCP on 12/20...we bought our tickets a couple of weeks ago. We arrive at WDW on 12/18 and depart on Christmas Day...not sure of the times as I'm holding out for Southwest's airfares...

We're arriving on 12/17 and departing at 4am on Fri, 12/29. I can't wait. The worst part is that we were just there for 2 weeks in April! As soon as we got back I started planning our Christmas trip. We already had reses but I changed the check in date so that we would check in on Saturday instead of Monday. I want to be there as long as possible!

Where are you staying? We'll be at Fort Wilderness. We'll be driving our motorhome.

Do you or anyone else know if we will have to pay to get in the MK on Christmas Day? We have AP's.

Mac and Us...

We purchased DVC on our Thanksgiving 2004 cruise so our first trip home to Saratoga Springs will be at Christmas. We are actually taking a trip 6/1 - 6/6, staying at OKW that we only planned about the second week of April...life has been very hectic for us due to some family (my father and sister) health and other issues...felt like I have had little control over my own life and schedule so since DS is finished with school earlier than expected (no snow days this year) we are able to sneak off for a much needed vacation.

We originally planned to arrive for Christmas on 12/17, but dropped that day from the trip so we could have more points for the June trip...and have been told by many people that Christmas day travel (air) is not as hectic as 12/24 or 26. We'll see...

As for having to pay for admission on Christmas day...I don't think so. We also have APs (first time) and it is my understanding that only Florida residents APs have black out dates...you may want to call WDW to verify...or go to the official website and send an email. I've done that several times when I can't locate an answer...I usually get a response within 48 hours.

We loved Epcot on Chrismas Day. Our kids got a kick out of seeing Santa at all the countries! They were 6 & 2 at the time and were awed that Santa could make it to all the different countries plus deliver presents! ;-).

The parks are packed during Christmas and New Years so be prepared and take your time. We use to spend every Christmas in WDW but after last year we decided to travel somewhere else. Have a great time and enjoy all the decorations. :flower:

Mac and Us said:

thanks

This is incorrect, admision tickets to the theme parks are the same price all the time - they don't charge extra for holidays.

I don't see where the OP mentioned this and if a TA said this I would find a new one asap??

Your AP is good for all 4 parks for one year no exceptions. You can go to any or all of the 4 parks on Christmas Day with just your AP.

MVMCP is a separate event that takes place after hours at the MK. Even on 12/20 you will need your AP for admission to the theme parks during normal hours. Once MK closes then you will use your MVMCP tickets to enter for the party.

HTH
TJ

We were thinking of going to Epcot on Christmas, because I had heard Christmas is really busy. We are prepared to take our time we are traveling with little ones and we are realistic that we won't get to see everything. Thanks again for the extra info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter