Christmas at Disney..What restaurants are a must?

bobgobblin15

I've got the disney fever!!
Hi, my husband and I are wanting to take our 4 children ranging from teenager to toddler to disney next year for Christmas. We have been to disney many many moons ago but we never did character dining etc. Our toddler will turn four next year, so she is getting to the age of really enjoying disney things. I would really like to do Cinderella's Royal Table and Minnie's seasonal dining. I know you can book up to 180 days in advance. Do the spots go fast? What should we expect. Also, what was your experience with the factasmic and Minnie's dining? Are there any other character dining you would suggest?

are you talking about going around Christmas or actually n Christmas?

I am going during the free dining period after Thanksgiving, and I felt that the reservations filled up fast. It's not impossible, but challenging to make changes if you have to switch your days around. I would note that this year the fantasmic packages did not become available until after the 180 day period, so don't be alarmed if you don't see them at that time. However, if they continue the Jingle Bell Jingle Bam holiday show at Hollywood Studios, you might prefer that, and you can't see it the same night as Fantasmic because they begin at almost the same time. Be Our Guest reservations are hard to find, so if you are even considering it I would recommend booking, and then you can always cancel. We are also traveling with 4 children, two toddlers and two teenagers. We're doing Cinderella's Royal Table, Minnie's Holiday Dine, Be Our Guest, 'Ohana (dinner), and we're also considering a Crystal Palace breakfast.

We are wanting to go next year from December 22 to the 26-27. It is too close to the holiday season this year to even try and pull it off in my mind lol. Marissa227, you must feel the same pain as I, trying to vacation with four children. Are there any money saving tips that you would have to share? Also, when and if you are able to make a reservation does that guarantee a character will stop by your table?

Also, a huge congratulations on the upcoming marriage.

We are wanting to go next year from December 22 to the 26-27. It is too close to the holiday season this year to even try and pull it off in my mind lol. Marissa227, you must feel the same pain as I, trying to vacation with four children. Are there any money saving tips that you would have to share? Also, when and if you are able to make a reservation does that guarantee a character will stop by your table?

Also, a huge congratulations on the upcoming marriage.
Thanks so much!!! If you book a character meal, the cast members are good about making sure each character visits your table. We found the most cost effective place for us to stay was the Cabins at Fort Wilderness because there is enough room for all of us, and we got the free Dining Plan. We also like that we can pull our vehicle right up to our cabin and drive where we want to go, instead of waiting at the bus stops. Another thing is you have a full little kitchen, so you can bring some groceries and save on food costs. We plan on doing breakfast and snacks in our room. I also check the Disney Store website frequently for sales, so that I could order some t-shirts and souvenirs before we go down. If you look after season this year, you can probably pick up a lot of winter/Christmas items marked down, instead of paying full price during your trip.

We have talked about driving down, we live in WV. If we could drive straight it would be fifteen hours. Since we can't its even longer. So we are talking about flying and renting a car. A full kitchen is the one thing I make sure we have wherever we go, especially since having the youngest. Such a picky picky eater. I have to be able to cook for her and the majority of the time take the food with us because she will not eat the things that our older kids will. That is a good idea to look after the season for for stuff! We took a disney cruise last year and that was something that I learnt to do before you go so you don't buy souvenirs once your stuck on a boat:sad2:.

Ok so you are planning on one of the busiest times of year, parks at capacity, people literally shoulder to shoulder, hours to ride anything

If you are planning on staying onsite, w a full kitchen, you are looking at the few cabins or a dvc timeshare, prob two br. Again, at peak costs

So saying that, you want adrs for each ts meal and you need to book at earliest opportunity. If you plan on dinner in a park and n Christmas get there at opening and stay the day, otherwise you may not get back in for dinner

We did Christmas day in Magic Kingdom in 2009. We had an early ADR at Crystal Palace. I have to admit there was something even more magical to me about walking down main street that day. We did lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern then left the park by 3 (by 2 it was getting beyond crowded and we'd heard they had already put in place the first wave of capacity closings.)

We have spent the last 6 Christmases in WDW and heading there again this December. We always have a Christmas dinner in Narcoossee's, and Christmas lunch at Grand Floridian Cafe. It's a beautiful resort that's perfectly decorated for the holiday season. This is the delicious almond-crusted cheesecake. Heaven on a plate.

upload_2016-10-25_20-58-51.png

Last edited:
If you are staying at Fort Wilderness, I would see if you can do Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue.

Hi, my husband and I are wanting to take our 4 children ranging from teenager to toddler to disney next year for Christmas. We have been to disney many many moons ago but we never did character dining etc. Our toddler will turn four next year, so she is getting to the age of really enjoying disney things. I would really like to do Cinderella's Royal Table and Minnie's seasonal dining. I know you can book up to 180 days in advance. Do the spots go fast? What should we expect. Also, what was your experience with the factasmic and Minnie's dining? Are there any other character dining you would suggest?

Hey there! We're currently gearing up for our 7th Christmas trip in 8 years. We typically go from Dec. 24th through Jan. 1st.

First things first, as many have touched on and will warn you, yes, it's very crowded and packed. Shoulder-to-shoulder people, long lines, etc. It's enough to scare anyone away. In fact, it nearly scared us away when we first booked. It was about 2 weeks until our trip and I'm procrastinating studying for finals and decided to start looking into Disney. I start finding blogs and posts about how it's insanely crowded and people regret going, the whole nine. It was obviously too late to cancel and... we weren't canceling, but we were concerned. Outside of the record low temperatures in 2009, we had a blast. We went back again in 2010, skipped 2011 (a family friend got married in Disney and I had just graduated and started a new job) and went back every year after. In fact, in 2011 we hosted Christmas. Midway through doing ALL the dishes and cleaning up, my mom looked up and goes "I'll wait three hours for Spaceship Earth before I host another Christmas." Funny enough, after Sandy wiped out our house and it was under construction, we STILL went to Disney.

It's not for everyone, but if you make the best of it, it's an incredible stay. Accept that you won't see and do everything. Use the trip to do some different things around WDW. All the resorts are gorgeously decorated, the campgrounds at Fort Wilderness are decorated by the campers, and there's plenty of shows, etc.

Now, to get to your question...

The restaurants you choose are going to really depend on your children's tastes. I have a little cousin who won't eat anything but chicken fingers and ice cream. But who knows... in today's day and age of Food Instagrams and the Food Network, maybe your teens are total foodies... Edit: just read that you have a picky eater... okay.

First things first, I wouldn't recommend Minnie's Holiday Dine. The food looks good but I've heard less-than-stellar reviews. Again, everyone is different, but I've heard it's worse than Chef Mickey's. We always do Narcoossee's for dinner on Christmas night. It's our favorite and it has a real elegant feel to it. If you can score an ADR during Wishes it's even better.

We also like to take a day and just eat around the world at EPCOT. It's kind of a "bleh" day after Christmas. We're tired from traveling 12/24 and waking up early 12/25, so we sleep in then head to EPCOT. EPCOT does a Holidays Around the World, which features storytellers in each pavilion, telling of the country's traditions during Christmas. They also sell snacks traditional to that country. This year we'll head to Via Napoli for a pizza for "dinner." Via Napoli has gigantic pizzas for like $50. That sounds like a lot, but split between 4 people it's not bad for ~$10-$15 per person.

I'm rambling on here, so I'll narrow it down to a few spots, based on traveling with a picky eater and the fact that you want a nice experience during Christmas:

Magic Kingdom: Crystal Palace. Big fan of Crystal Palace's breakfast. It's with the characters, so it could be a cool experience on Christmas Day. We're doing Xmas Day breakfast here. Another vote for CRT.
EPCOT: Do the Candlelight Processional. You can choose from a few different restaurants. Find one that fits your taste.
DHS: I'm a fan of 50's Primetime, but you can also skip.
AK: Tusker House, although it is another buffet, it's very good and will have a kids' section .
Resorts, TS: Honestly, I'd go with 'Ohana or Cape May Cafe. Cape May Cafe's breakfast is fantastic. 'Ohana is a very popular spot at Disney.
Resorts, Signature: We love Narcoossee's. We also love Artist Point.

Money-Saving Tips:
1) Simple enough: start saving now. Put away a little money each month. We each pay our own was (myself, my sister and my parents.) I've been putting away around $150-$200 since last January and have around $2k saved up.

2) Get the Disney Visa and use it for EVERYTHING. The Disney Visa gives you points that could be used toward paying off your trip or redeemed for a gift card. We had a $300 gift card last year that we used for snacks here and there.

3) Go a day or two earlier. Free dining should be in effect until Dec. 20th or 21st. This shouldn't really affect your family as you'll be cooking most days, but funny enough—we do the meal plan and we considered going down early last year. Had we gone two days earlier, we would have actually saved $200-$300.

Booking ADRs
The popular ADRs will go fast. My "hierarchy" of reservations usually goes: 1) Book dinner for holidays 2) Book the most popular restaurant 3) Book everything else.
Many people will book in chronological order then when they get to December 26th and want 'Ohana, it'll be gone. Instead, this year I booked dinner on Christmas and NYE, then 'Ohana, then Beaches and Cream being that it's so small, and so on... I got everything I wanted.

Also, save the most popular restaurant for the end of your trip. This works more so for those that travel like my family. Many families are like yours: they go just for Christmas or just for NYE. We go for the entire week. SO - because of the 180+10 window, we have far less competition in getting BOG for December 30th than December 26th.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter