Christians- Rides/ Attractions to avoid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am confused. I am not debating anything, just curious. I am Christian, but am surprised to read some posts about not going to see the Dinosaur exibit and anything to do with big bang. How do y'all explain fossils and skeletons of dinosaurs that are found and not think they ever existed? As a Christian I always have felt there is room to explain the exsistance of the Big Bang and Dinosaurs. I mean, really- dinosaurs- how do you NOT believe that? (pay no attention to the big skeleton behind the curtain?) Can't we believe that there were dinosaurs and Adam and EVE? Why are they exlusive? Can't dinosaurs have been before ,after, or during Adam and Eve? And the Big Bang, I don't know if I believe that, but if it was proven, then I just say, "well who caused the big bang? - GOD" Can't God have created the Earth in 7 days AND started it all off with a Big Bang? I don't see why these 2 things have to be mutually exlusive either.

ALso, lots of talk about being Christian with no mention of how many denominations and "non-denominations" of Christianity there are. I dislike when one church "owns Christianity". and makes it sound as if ALL Christians (which means follower of Christ and not nesessarily means you can't believe in many things stated in this thread) believe this way, that there is no room for dinosaurs etc. Or that all Christians can't see or read things about a fictional sorcerer and keep it in context. This is what makes the non-religious think we are all zealots.

OP... I think I get where you are coming from. If I understand correctly:
-you are ok with magic and fairies and pixie dust.
-you are ok with Snow White, just worried about frightening your kids, so you won't do it.
-you want to abstain from attractions that glorify supernatural powers that are a part of a real-life religion. That is: attractions like Brother Bear glorifies Native American spirituality, so you would choose to abstain. Becuase Fantasmic glorifies the practice of sorcery, you'd stay away. You don't mind seeing a witch, but you don't want to glorify one.
-Brother Bear and Fantasmic glorify spiritual practices actually practiced in real life by some people, and these practices are counter to your beleifs and to what you've taught your children, so you would skip them.
-Things like pixie dust and magic are not a realistic part of anyone's religion; they are pure fantasy and make believe, so you are comfortable with them. Your child won't be confused by your appreciation of pixie dust and fairies and magic becuase they do not expressly counter Scrpiture.
-You seem to be of the opinion (and if you are, I agree) that a preschooler could easily seperate pure fantasy from reality, but parse and understand realistic fantasy that bears some resemblance is too much for him. Fairies=pure makebelieve, Sorcer Mickey=uncomfortable combination of make believe and something we don't beleive is ok.

It also sounds like you are ok with saying "some people believe xyz" and showing those other beliefs/cultures/religions, but just don't wnat to glorify them.

I don't know Disney well enough to make any recommendations, just wanted to know if I'm pickin up what you're throwing down.

I am confused. I am not debating anything, just curious. I am Christian, but am surprised to read some posts about not going to see the Dinosaur exibit and anything to do with big bang. How do y'all explain fossils and skeletons of dinosaurs that are found and not think they ever existed? As a Christian I always have felt there is room to explain the exsistance of the Big Bang and Dinosaurs. I mean, really- dinosaurs- how do you NOT believe that? (pay no attention to the big skeleton behind the curtain?) Can't we believe that there were dinosaurs and Adam and EVE? Why are they exlusive? Can't dinosaurs have been before ,after, or during Adam and Eve? And the Big Bang, I don't know if I believe that, but if it was proven, then I just say, "well who caused the big bang? - GOD" Can't God have created the Earth in 7 days AND started it all off with a Big Bang? I don't see why these 2 things have to be mutually exlusive either.

ALso, lots of talk about being Christian with no mention of how many denominations and "non-denominations" of Christianity there are. I dislike when one church "owns Christianity". and makes it sound as if ALL Christians (which means follower of Christ and not nesessarily means you can't believe in many things stated in this thread) believe this way, that there is no room for dinosaurs etc. Or that all Christians can't see or read things about a fictional sorcerer and keep it in context. This is what makes the non-religious think we are all zealots.

This s not only intended for the quote above. I just wanted to further explain because the discussion has become more of an argument than a resource for Christian parents with similar concerns. I was looking for

Again, this was not meant to be a debate (evolution/dinosaurs) just looking for practical advise on anything that seems to pose spiritual conflict for other Christians while at WDW. It is DEFINITELY not supposed to be a debate about denomination, lets PLEASE not go there...That could get really bad!

For the record, I (OP) believe in a literal 6 day creation while also believe in Dino's....I agree w/micro evolution but disagree w/macro evolution. Again, I don't want to be rude, but no-one knows me so I want to explain.
-I'm not ignorant, I know WDW is a "Magical" place
-I'm not scared of exposing my children to other cultures
-I'm not uneducated- I am not a genius but I'm working on my Masters Degree (hate to even mention that but I feel misunderstood!)
-I AM a Bible believing Christian who chooses to honor God in ALL things...even a trip to WDW Some people have mentioned that their faith and/or religion does not keep them from rides...my faith is ALL encompassing...it does!

Again, thanks for the input but I would love to hear from those who have similar values (not that other sare wrong) so that we can get opinions about HOW to deal with things we disagree with or things they think we should avoid.

Again as an example of what we believe, we think it' a small world is FINE yet Brother Bear at DL. If you have not seen it, PLEASE visit you tube and look for the Magic of Brother Bear before you comment.

THANKS AGAIN for all the input, it is VERY interesting and I have read some practical posts!

I think as a Christian, my only problem would be "pretending" to worship an Idol/totem. Rides are rides...mere fiction. If my child was old enough, there is not a ride I would not let him experience (barring this Brother Bear thing ya'll have mentioned...I have not seen it).

There are certainly rides he will not ride because of his age (2), such as The Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Snow White, Honey I Shrunk the Audience, as they ARE SCARY. Oh and Fantasmic is terrifying, so that is WAY OUT. I will ride the the rides, though, and still love and worship Jesus Christ.

With that said, I love reading Harry Potter and have no problem with "fictional magic". God is the only miracle worker and I know that and feel it in the depths of my heart, so why can't I enjoy a little fiction every now and then?

I agree with the poster that said to get a babysitter and you and your DH go for a "preview" so that you know what you are comfortable with letting your children ride.

OP... I think I get where you are coming from. If I understand correctly, you are ok with magic and fairies and pixie dust. It sounds like you are ok with Snow White, just worried about frightening your kids, so you won't do it. If I'm reading you correctly you want to stay away from attractions that glorify supernatural powers that are a part of an existing and real world view. That is, becuase Brother Bear glorifies Native American spirituality, you'd stay away. Becuase Fantasmic glorifies the practice of witchcraft, you'd stay away. Things like pixie dust and magic are not a realistic part of anyone's religion- they are pure fantasy and make believe, so ok becuase you can't lead your child astray while appreciate the fantasy. Becuase Brother Bear and Fantasmic glorify spiritual practices actually practiced by some people, you'd prefer to skip them.

It also sounds like you are ok with saying "some people believe xyz" and showing those other beliefs/cultures/religions, but just don't wnat to glorify them.

I don't know Disney well enough to make any recommendations, just wanted to know if I'm pickin up what you're throwing down.

YES! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I wish YOU were a Disney expert:laughing:

WOO HOO:yay::thumbsup2 :cheer2:

So excited to be understood!

Now If I could only hear some advise from others that MAY feel the same!

Anyone out there???

Thanks again:flower3:

This s not only intended for the quote above. I just wanted to further explain because the discussion has become more of an argument than a resource for Christian parents with similar concerns. I was looking for

Again, this was not meant to be a debate (evolution/dinosaurs) just looking for practical advise on anything that seems to pose spiritual conflict for other Christians while at WDW. It is DEFINITELY not supposed to be a debate about denomination, lets PLEASE not go there...That could get really bad!

For the record, I (OP) believe in a literal 6 day creation while also believe in Dino's....I agree w/micro evolution but disagree w/macro evolution. Again, I don't want to be rude, but no-one knows me so I want to explain.
-I'm not ignorant, I know WDW is a "Magical" place
-I'm not scared of exposing my children to other cultures
-I'm not uneducated- I am not a genius but I'm working on my Masters Degree (hate to even mention that but I feel misunderstood!)
-I AM a Bible believing Christian who chooses to honor God in ALL things...even a trip to WDW Some people have mentioned that their faith and/or religion does not keep them from rides...my faith is ALL encompassing...it does!

Again, thanks for the input but I would love to hear from those who have similar values (not that other sare wrong) so that we can get opinions about HOW to deal with things we disagree with or things they think we should avoid.

Again as an example of what we believe, we think it' a small world is FINE yet Brother Bear at DL. If you have not seen it, PLEASE visit you tube and look for the Magic of Brother Bear before you comment.

THANKS AGAIN for all the input, it is VERY interesting and I have read some practical posts!

I think we were posting at the same time...ignore my post. I just feel you can honor Him in all things and still ride FICTIONAL rides. I was taught that God has a sense of humor...

YES! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I wish YOU were a Disney expert:laughing:

WOO HOO:yay::thumbsup2 :cheer2:

So excited to be understood!

Now If I could only hear some advise from others that MAY feel the same!

Anyone out there???

Thanks again:flower3:

Okay, maybe I posted too soon. I think I get it now, though we will have to agree to disagree on Sorcerer Mickey....that's still just fiction to me.
Let me consult my handy-dandy guide book...

Besides the ones you've mentioned:
Tower of Terror (too scary and suggests an alternate universe/evil)
Stitch's Great Escape (but more because it is scary)

I don't think there are really too many that demonstrate "worship" of false Idols or gods. There are, however, several scary rides.

Good Luck, I hope I helped, even just a little...

My sister warned me (we're both strong Christians) that we would not appreciate/like Fantasmic, so it's crossed off our list of "to-do's" when we FINALLY get there for our first ever Dis vacation next month.

Beyond that? I have no desire to go to Tower of Terror, or Haunted House...dh can take the kids if he wants on my afternoon at Epcot w/ my Mom....my dislike of those is personal, not necessarily spiritual, and my girls both know what fiction is, and the difference between it and reality.:confused3

I think we were posting at the same time...ignore my post. I just feel you can honor Him in all things and still ride FICTIONAL rides. I was taught that God has a sense of humor...

Of course God has a sense of Humor......if he didnt would there be funny looking animals???? LOL, all joking aside.....I am a Christian as well and I will allow my children to ride the rides. My 2 yr old rode Haunted Mansion and was growling at the ghosts on it. I have tried to teach my kids that it isn't real. And as far as Dinosaur, (DS LOVES dinosaurs but is too young to ride that particular ride.) I do believe they were around during the time of Adam and Eve.....

You just got to look at what you think your kids have learned about God and what they will take away from the experience. My kids are 2 and 6. My 6 yr old has seen fantasmic and has LOVED it. But she also knows that its make believe and that God is in control of everything. My 2 yr old has NOT seen it, but will (barring rain) this september. In my opinion.....which you may not think is worth 2 cents, You have to let them experience things that you think would otherwise go against Christianity to teach them more about Christianity and your beliefs. I use all the things at Disney to teach my kids about God.

That being said.....I do cringe at the whole evolution part of Disney. and I agree with the comment "Couldnt God have made the Big Bang?"

OP... I think I get where you are coming from. If I understand correctly:
-you are ok with magic and fairies and pixie dust.
-you are ok with Snow White, just worried about frightening your kids, so you won't do it.
-you want to abstain from attractions that glorify supernatural powers that are a part of a real-life religion. That is: attractions like Brother Bear glorifies Native American spirituality, so you would choose to abstain. Becuase Fantasmic glorifies the practice of sorcery, you'd stay away. You don't mind seeing a witch, but you don't want to glorify one.
-Brother Bear and Fantasmic glorify spiritual practices actually practiced in real life by some people, and these practices are counter to your beleifs and to what you've taught your children, so you would skip them.
-Things like pixie dust and magic are not a realistic part of anyone's religion; they are pure fantasy and make believe, so you are comfortable with them. Your child won't be confused by your appreciation of pixie dust and fairies and magic becuase they do not expressly counter Scrpiture.
-You seem to be of the opinion (and if you are, I agree) that a preschooler could easily seperate pure fantasy from reality, but parse and understand realistic fantasy that bears some resemblance is too much for him. Fairies=pure makebelieve, Sorcer Mickey=uncomfortable combination of make believe and something we don't beleive is ok.

Amen and hallelujah!:thumbsup2

Wow, I just read through this entire thread. I have to say I was very misled by the title of the post -- for future reference, I think anyone looking for this type of information should ask for "Evangelical", or a specific denomination of Christians.

This is why people get offended. I clearly do not share the OPs belief, but the implication throughout this thread that if you don't you are not a "strong Christian" is disturbing. Do I believe less in my faith because I practice it differently than you do? Am I less faithful or determined in my convictions? I think that is what leads to all the controversy.

If the thread had been titled (this is an example, not singling out a specific group) "Creationism Christians" or "Southern Baptist Christians", I would never have opened it and been offended at the implication that I am not a "real" Christian because I don't share your beliefs.

I am perfectly capable of "honoring God in all things" and riding all the rides at WDW -- because nothing conflicts with my beliefs. You may not have intended this, but the posts come off as self righteous -- i.e. you are the honoring God in all ways because you choose specific rides, if others don't do that, they are not living up to God's standard. I just have one Bible verse for you -- "Judge not, lest ye be judged". I'm sure you can counter that with many others, but that is more applicable to my beliefs, so that is what I will share.

Wow, I just read through this entire thread. I have to say I was very misled by the title of the post -- for future reference, I think anyone looking for this type of information should ask for "Evangelical", or a specific denomination of Christians.

This is why people get offended. I clearly do not share the OPs belief, but the implication throughout this thread that if you don't you are not a "strong Christian" is disturbing. Do I believe less in my faith because I practice it differently than you do? Am I less faithful or determined in my convictions? I think that is what leads to all the controversy.

If the thread had been titled (this is an example, not singling out a specific group) "Creationism Christians" or "Southern Baptist Christians", I would never have opened it and been offended at the implication that I am not a "real" Christian because I don't share your beliefs.

I am perfectly capable of "honoring God in all things" and riding all the rides at WDW -- because nothing conflicts with my beliefs. You may not have intended this, but the posts come off as self righteous -- i.e. you are the honoring God in all ways because you choose specific rides, if others don't do that, they are not living up to God's standard. I just have one Bible verse for you -- "Judge not, lest ye be judged". I'm sure you can counter that with many others, but that is more applicable to my beliefs, so that is what I will share.

ITA, though I probably would've opened the post anyway. With that said, I know the rides/attractions pretty well and felt that once I understood what she was asking that I could give an educated answer.

Tlokien was Cathloic. CS Lewis was protestant. They were both christian before they met. They were good friends, and fellow writers who disagreed pretty widely on theology. Tlolkien was not evangelical, and as a Cathloic did not believe anyone could be "led to the lord" you were either Cathloic or going to hell. Tolkien and CS Lewis had several debates about literature as religious allegory. CS Lewis belived in using literature as allegory. Tolkien did not. The Lord of the Rings was not ment as a religions commentary, and Tolkien spent most of his life trying to get that message across. While your sentiment is a good one this is NOT how Tolkien intended his work. CS Lewis did however write as a witness.

As a Protestant, I've used Protestant language. Tolkien's friendship and discussions on Christianity was the primary reason for CS Lewis' conversion to Christianity. And contrary to popular belief concerning Protestantism, you do not become a Christian merely in order to escape Hell. You become a Christian in response to God's love for you. Hell's escape is merely an added benefit. In other words, love is the impetus, not fear.

As far as Lord of the Rings is concerned, no one has said that it was religious commentary. Nor was Chronicles of Narnia religious commentary. The Chronicles of Narnia is merely a story of God's love that uses Christian allegory.

But both are witnesses.

I just wanted to say KUDOS TO YOU! Our family is also a strong Christian family who believe every word of the Bible. I commend you for being a parent who is on the look out to shelter/protect their children from the wrong paths and steer them towards the right paths. Yes, I said shelter because I believe that children should be sheltered from certain things in this world, even though the world seems to believe that sheltering them is wrong.

We have sat through Fantasmic before, just once. I really have no idea what the show was about because my then-2 year old was being wiggly LOL. But I do not agree with the whole sorcerer Mickey thing either. However, my kids dont know the difference. They just think that he's Mickey with a big hat on. They haven't got a clue otherwise (they are 4 and 2). We dont avoid any rides at Disney. I like to feel the "magic" at Disney and share it with my kids. Not "spooky, evil" magic....more like a joyous feeling of excitement. If my kids ever ask a question about anything, I'll answer it how I see fit for their age and maturity.

I have to agree here. Especially saying that God "encompasses" everything to the OP. As if the rest of us throw God to the wind because we ride POTC.
I still stand by saying that I don't think that WDW is the best vacation choice if you are vehemently opposed to much of it. After all, the money you spent of passes will help to keep the rides you oppose running. So in effect, you are supporting all that you don't believe in.
At any rate, I hope you have a nice trip.:cutie:

- Stitch at MK- my son got scared, my hubby took him, so I don't know what was so bad but he still tells no "NO STITCH"

Stitch's attraction is just wierd and smells. My kids and DH refused to ever do that attraction again...and I'm right along with them, but not for religious reasons! But yet I think the Stitch character is cute and the kids love him at O'Hana. ;)

I would say definitely avoid Universe of Energy at Epcot since it talks about the Big bang theory.

Only avoid this one if you are a conservative Christian. Remember some Christian do believe that it is a possibility that there was a Big Bang and that the earth could be millions of years old. And since only God knows for sure what really happened, so no reason to judge others for their beliefs on this topic...we are all going to go to heaven :thumbsup2

Only avoid this one if you are a conservative Christian. Remember some Christian do believe that it is a possibility that there was a Big Bang and that the earth could be millions of years old. And since only God knows for sure what really happened, so no reason to judge others for their beliefs on this topic...we are all going to go to heaven :thumbsup2

That is a subject for debate but this is not the thread for it. ;)

I'm a conservative Christian, AND I believe in the Big Bang.

God said it, and BANG! It happened!:rotfl2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter