• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Christening Fantasy...

malacajo

Mouseketeer
My mother was telling me today about old stories of ships, etc. My grandfather was a chief engineer on many and she grew up on ships, she is 82 yrs old. Anyway, she was asking me today who was going to Christen Fantasy? She said it's always a woman that does it. I'm sure that's common knowledge, but I didn't know that!

They haven't announced the godmother of the Fantasy yet. I don't think they announced the godmother of the Dream until a week or two before the actual christening.

They haven't announced the godmother of the Fantasy yet. I don't think they announced the godmother of the Dream until a week or two before the actual christening.

wouldn't it nice if someone from Walt's family would be the godmother. i belive that Roy E was the godfather of Magic. I belive his daughter Diane is still alive or mabey one of his grand childern

Pat[I said:
[/I]rickprincess;43694261]wouldn't it nice if someone from Walt's family would be the godmother. i belive that Roy E was the godfather of Magic. I belive his daughter Diane is still alive or mabey one of his grand childern

Roy and his wife Patti were the Godparents of the Magic. Tinkerbell was the Godmother of the Wonder (first time ever a character had been a godmother of a ship).

Jennifer Hudson is Godmother of the Dream.

Can't wait to hear who is going to be Godmother of the Fantasy.

MJ

I think the fumiest ship crisening story has to be the one for the QE2. it was christened by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the 2nd, the ship was supposed to be named just the Queen Elizabeth as it was replacing the old Queen Elizabeth that was named for the current Queen's mother (the Queen Mum), however when she christened the ship she said "I here by christen the the Queen Elizabeth the 2nd" or something to that effect. The officials at Cunard where a little bit anoyed by that but how can you argue with the Queen of the United Kngdom of England, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

I think that the Fantasy will have another character as the Godmother instead of a real person. We were just on the Wonder's 6 night on Jan 2nd, and when we were playing Dcl trivia there was question which who is the Godmother of the Wonder. Patti Disney (Magic), Tinkerbell (Wonder), Jennifer Hudson (Dream), and finally The Fairy Godmother, Maybe for the Fantasy??

Just a thought!!

I think the fumiest ship crisening story has to be the one for the QE2. it was christened by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the 2nd, the ship was supposed to be named just the Queen Elizabeth as it was replacing the old Queen Elizabeth that was named for the current Queen's mother (the Queen Mum), however when she christened the ship she said "I here by christen the the Queen Elizabeth the 2nd" or something to that effect. The officials at Cunard where a little bit anoyed by that but how can you argue with the Queen of the United Kngdom of England, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Love this story, I had no idea...:)

I think that the Fantasy will have another character as the Godmother instead of a real person. We were just on the Wonder's 6 night on Jan 2nd, and when we were playing Dcl trivia there was question which who is the Godmother of the Wonder. Patti Disney (Magic), Tinkerbell (Wonder), Jennifer Hudson (Dream), and finally The Fairy Godmother, Maybe for the Fantasy??

Just a thought!!

Kelly Ripa or Whoopi Goldberg???

Oh!, I was thinking the character of The Fairy Godmother, just like Tinkerbell for the Wonder

My vote for Diane Disney or Julie Andrews

Julie Andrews is the Godmother of one of the Crystal ships.

I found this from another website and I cut and pasted...very interesting about who has been Godmother/Godfather of various ships over the years...it from 2008 so recent names are not on there.

Godmothers of Ships

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New-ship 'christenings' and naming ceremonies epitomize the glamour of cruising
Monarchs and heads of state have had the honor, as have legendary actresses of the stage and screen, world-class athletes, comedians, astronauts and even an animated film character. Traditionally, ships were "christened" - or named - by "godmothers" who launched the ships from their building blocks into the sea for the very first time. To mark these occasions, bottles of champagne or sparkling wine were broken against the ship's hull.

These ceremonies were - and are - meant to bring good luck to the ship and those who sail on it.

ROYAL CARIBBEAN INTERNATIONAL
Royal Caribbean International, through a partnership with NBC's Today show, launched a national search for the godmother of its new Freedom of the Seas. The winner, Katherine Calder of Oregon, has served as a foster mother to over 400 children. Other godmothers have included Queen Sonja of Norway, Lauren Bacall, Whoopi Goldberg, Gloria Estefan and former first lady, Rosalynn Carter.

HOLLAND AMERICA LINE
Holland America Line has capitalized on its Dutch heritage with Princess Margriet of The Netherlands christening three of its ships. Tennis great Chris Evert has served as godmother, as has broadcaster Joan Lunden. Famous actress godmothers have included June Allyson, Debbie Reynolds, Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen, and actress Marlee Matlin, who did the honor for Noordam in February 2006.

CARNIVAL CRUISE LINES
It took British actress Dame Judi Dench three attempts to smash a bottle of champagne against the hull of Carnival Cruise Lines' Carnival Legend. In her last attempt, she soaked herself, earning the nickname Dame Judi Drench. Actress Mira Sorvino, Newswomen Paula Zahn and Katie Couric, retired Army Pvt. Jessica Lynch and astronauts Tamara Jernigan and Sally Ride have been godmothers.

CELEBRITY CRUISES
Patricia Barrett Carpenter, wife of astronaut Scott Carpenter, christened Celebrity Cruises' aptly named Mercury. Robyn Roux, wife of the line's Michelin-starred culinary consultant, master chef Michel Roux, christened Millennium. Godmothers have also included Paulina Rider Wilhelmsen and Jean Marie Arneberg, wives of Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd., board members, of which Celebrity is a unit. They are named Summit and Constellation, respectively.

NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE (NCL)
Melania Trump, wife of Donald Trump; actress Kim Cattrall of "Sex in the City;" Brooke Burke of E! Entertainment Network; and 2002 Miss America Angela Baraquio have named NCL ships. Elaine Chao, U.S. Secretary of Labor, christened Pride of America and Margaret Inouye, wife of Hawaii Senator Daniel Inouye, named Pride of Aloha, both of which sail for NCL America.

DISNEY CRUISE LINE
The godmother of Disney Cruise Line's first ship, Disney Magic, was Patty Disney, wife of Roy Disney, who is the nephew of Walt Disney. Tinker Bell christened Disney Wonder, marking the first time an animated character was named as a godmother. She not only released the bottle of champagne against the hull but also sprinkled pixie dust on the ship.

SEABOURN CRUISE LINE
Godmothers for Seabourn Cruise Line's fleet of ultra-luxury yachts include none other than "America's Sweetheart," child star Shirley Temple Black, who christened Seabourn Pride. Seabourn Spirit was christened by Aagot Brynestad, mother of Seabourn's founder, Atle Brynestad. Sister ship Seabourn Legend, which briefly sailed as both the Royal Viking Queen and Queen Odyssey, was renamed by Atle Brynestad's wife Linn.

CRYSTAL CRUISES
For its part, Crystal Cruises chose legendary actresses as godmothers. Acclaimed singer and actress Dame Julie Andrews served as Crystal Serenity's godmother at a Southampton, England, ceremony in 2004. Angela Lansbury had the honor of christening Crystal Symphony in 1995. In 1990, Mary Tyler Moore named the line's Crystal Harmony, which has since been transferred to parent company NYK Line.

CUNARD LINE
Cunard Line's QE2 and Queen Mary 2 were named by Queen Elizabeth II. Her Majesty used the same pair of gold scissors at QE2's christening as her mother and grandmother used for Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth. Cunard traditionally used sparking wine, but for Queen Mary 2 used Veuve Clicquot Champagne to celebrate a partnership with the venerable wine maker.

MSC CRUISES

Legendary Italian film star Sophia Loren christened MSC Musica in Venice. Ms. Loren, who personifies Italian beauty, elegance and style, also is godmother of MSC Lirica and MSC Opera and acts as an official spokeswoman for MSC Cruises worldwide, reflecting the cruise line's identity as "Beautiful. Passionate. Italian."

REGENT SEVEN SEAS CRUISES
Regent Seven Seas Cruises' Seven Seas Voyager was christened in Monaco, with His Royal Highness Prince Albert in attendance. Barbara Carlson Gage of Carlson Companies, which owns the line, was godmother. Maria Gauguin, great granddaughter of the famous painter, was on hand for Paul Gauguin christening ceremonies, while Carole Poylo, a relative of the ship's owner, Jean-Marc Poylo, christened the ship.

MJ

I never heard that one and to be honest I seem to remember the QE2 being named that during building.......but this is another:

The one that is documented is about the RMS Queen Mary. In the 1930's the Cunard line presented the plans for the vessel to King George V and requested permission to name the vessel *after the most gracious lady to sit on the English Throne*. The King thinking it was a complment to his wife, Queen Mary said he would ask permission of the Queen. The rest is history and the vessel was named RMS Queen Mary.

The only problem here is that the Cunard Line wanted the name the vessel Queen Victoria.

AKK

I think Julie Andrews or Angela Lansbury would be classy choices, both with significant Disney ties.

OTOH, Whoopi Goldberg would be a horrible choice due to her polarizing political views.

I think Julie Andrews or Angela Lansbury would be classy choices, both with significant Disney ties.

OTOH, Whoopi Goldberg would be a horrible choice due to her polarizing political views.

great ideals. my peronal favorite Belle. But really I would think it would be cool if Walt's daughter Diane Disney Miller could be the godmother. I serously hope that whoopi isn't even considered

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter