Choosing Our Resort is Stressing Me Out !!

tink2007

DIS Veteran
We currently have reservations for 2 rooms at the Polynesian September 9 -13. I'm thinking of changing resorts because of the East Pool construction. We plan to have a lot of down and want to relax by the pool. There is not enough shade at the main pool.
We are a group of 8. Myself, my husband, our two children (24 and 20), and four of their friends. Three people in our group have never been to Disney so I want this to be a great experience for them. These are the resorts I've narrowed it down to.

1. Two suites at AoA - the extra space will be wonderful and two bathrooms with be great with four girls. I'm worried that the fold down bed and fold out couch will not be big enough or comfortable for four grown boys. Also, the pools, I don't remember a lot of shade around the main pool. My husband hates sitting in the sun.

2. Two rooms at WL. We love the WL but the rooms are so small for four adults. I love the boat transportation to MK. The pool is fine though I don't remember a lot of shade.

3. Two rooms at AKL. We love this place as well but again, the rooms feel smaller than WL. We love the pool and there are shady areas to sit. We have never had good luck with bus service at AKL. This makes me nervous. We plan to spend early morning and evenings at the parks so a lot of traveling back and forth.

4. Two rooms at KWR. We have never stayed at this resort. I've never heard anyone say that they have stayed there so I know nothing about it other than pictures on the Disney website. The rooms look larger than most. I like that there are several pools on property.
* I also am considering a two bedroom suite.

Any advice or experiences would be awesome. Please help me decide!!

Another vote to rule out AoA. There isn't any shade there.

The villas pool at WL has a lot of shade but rhe rooms are a lot smaller and doesn't have a day bed.

Have you considered an Epcot area report? The rooms are large and you can request a day bed. You can walk into Epcot and DHS from the resort. It is a great location for a group of 20 something's. :)

I recall the villas having a pull out bed when we stayed there... I could be mistaken

Unless the villas are different from the suites...

Will you have your own transportation? If so, you could bus to/from MK and drive everywhere else, which would take the pressure off the AK transportation situation.

Have you considered an Epcot area report? The rooms are large and you can request a day bed. You can walk into Epcot and DHS from the resort. It is a great location for a group of 20 something's. :)

Yes, I think that's a great idea! :thumbsup2

i have to agree - BC or YC would be a great choice. Rooms are larger, boat ordeals to EPCOT and DHS, SAB and Boardwalk at night

For your dates I am not seeing anything available but the Animal Kingdom. Personally I'd stay at the Poly.

Another EPCOT resort vote! walking to Epcot each night for a stroll/drink/snack through World Showcase is very nice! Pool at SAB has LOTS of shade, LOTS of sun, LOTS of swim areas, Boardwalk is just a walk away with night time fun, great restaurants (don't forget the Swan/Dolphin restaurants too).

Another vote to rule out AoA. There isn't any shade there.

The villas pool at WL has a lot of shade but rhe rooms are a lot smaller and doesn't have a day bed.

We are pass holders and there is no discount for the Epcot resorts for the dates we are going. I wish there were, we love the Beach Club.

Oh right!! That's around the time we are going, and rooms are booked up solid. I'm thinking it's blocked rooms for conventions? Maybe some will go back into inventory at some point this month.

AKL is on my must stay list. It's beautiful!! And I love the restaurants there too. The bus ride doesn't bother me being that the time you are going is considered such a slow time.

My parents and sister have stayed at Old Key West, they loved the resort, loved the space of the villa too. If I needed extra space I would consider this one.

If the pool shade is important try POR. Their quiet pools are very shady and private. If you get a pool view room your door opens up to a pool.

We are pass holders and there is no discount for the Epcot resorts for the dates we are going. I wish there were, we love the Beach Club.
I suggest you keep your reservation at the Polynesian and request a room far from the construction area. It will be the most comfortable for your group of 8. And the transportation to the parks are great from the Poly. The only worry that you have is getting some shade at the main pool, and that is just one of the things you'll have to work around, since there isn't a better resort option available.

Last edited:
I never pick a resort by room size. We really do nothing there except sleep after all. As long as everyone has a spot to lay down and a chance to use the bathroom, all's right with my World!!

Unless you can switch to an EP resort or another monorail resort, I would stay put. What you would have to sacrifice in terms of amenities, room size and location does make up for lack of shade and pool construction IMHO. I would simply request rooms away from the construction.

We currently have reservations for 2 rooms at the Polynesian September 9 -13. I'm thinking of changing resorts because of the East Pool construction. We plan to have a lot of down and want to relax by the pool. There is not enough shade at the main pool.
We are a group of 8. Myself, my husband, our two children (24 and 20), and four of their friends. Three people in our group have never been to Disney so I want this to be a great experience for them. These are the resorts I've narrowed it down to.

1. Two suites at AoA - the extra space will be wonderful and two bathrooms with be great with four girls. I'm worried that the fold down bed and fold out couch will not be big enough or comfortable for four grown boys. Also, the pools, I don't remember a lot of shade around the main pool. My husband hates sitting in the sun.

2. Two rooms at WL. We love the WL but the rooms are so small for four adults. I love the boat transportation to MK. The pool is fine though I don't remember a lot of shade.

3. Two rooms at AKL. We love this place as well but again, the rooms feel smaller than WL. We love the pool and there are shady areas to sit. We have never had good luck with bus service at AKL. This makes me nervous. We plan to spend early morning and evenings at the parks so a lot of traveling back and forth.

4. Two rooms at KWR. We have never stayed at this resort. I've never heard anyone say that they have stayed there so I know nothing about it other than pictures on the Disney website. The rooms look larger than most. I like that there are several pools on property.
* I also am considering a two bedroom suite.

Any advice or experiences would be awesome. Please help me decide!!
Here's a bit
For WL. Love it. Beauty, not spread out, & the boat ride after a long day is very relaxing

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter