Choosing Home Resort?

Happy Mama Shel

Earning My Ears
Hi all! This is my first post on a DVC thread. 8-) We're looking at buying into DVC and we're trying to figure out which home resort would be best for our family. Our family consists of myself, my DH and our 3 boys, ages 6, 5 and 2. We're going on a cruise next week and have one night before and after planned at the WL and YC, where we'll check out VWL, BLT, BCV, and BWV. Can I just go to the DVC desk at these resorts and ask to see rooms?

From the pictures and videos we've seen, and because of their proximity to MK, we really love BLT and VWL and I think we'd be happy owning at either of these resorts. We are leaning more toward BLT because I like that the contract expires in 2060 (I'll be 77!). We could probably afford about 200-220 points at BLT. We plan on going every year and I would like to get a 1 bedroom most years, but when we take family or friends we'll need a 2 bedroom, so the year before or after we would have to get a studio. Being a family of 5, we won't fit in a studio at BLT. How hard is it to get a studio at VWL, VPB, VGF (BWV and BCV are going to fit 5 people also, right?) 7 months out? Should we be looking at buying into a resort where we will all fit in a studio instead of BLT?

With the DVC expansion at VWL, Disney will eventually be selling new/more contracts, right? I'm thinking maybe we could buy at BLT now and then add 100 points or so at VWL in about 5 years. Is the expansion expected to cause the price of the existing contracts to go up?

Thanks so much! Any other tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated! :D

I have read that (and many of your other informative threads!), it was very helpful! I'm trying to follow the advice of buying where you want to stay. We really like to be close to MK, so that's why AKL is out for us, otherwise we probably would have made an offer on a contract there already!

I say buy where you LOVE to stay. There is a difference because at this stage you only think that you know what you will like. Looking and staying are two different things.

In a few short years we found out that several of the resorts that we bought because we thought we would like them, turned out to not be our favorites, including BLT.

:earsboy: Bill

Something else to consider is when you will be traveling and if the 11 month advantage is really important. We own at SSR and have traveled during NH school vacations, but we will be staying at VGF again during the April vacation. The points cost much less at SSR, but we are able to stay at places where the points are high. Also, we don't have kids to bring anymore and aren't interested in being close to MK or EPCOT. Your kids will not be interested in MK forever. That could be taken into account too.

I have asked to see a room and was not able to.

What is the price difference between VWL and BLT? Christmas is nice at VWL and they will sleep 5.

I bought at VWL back in 2006 and while I have made more than 10 trips to DVC resorts in those years, I still have not stayed at VWL...it's nothing against VWL cause we loved our WL trip back in 2005, but the stars just have not be properly aligned for us to stay at VWL. We generally go during off periods so the 11 month booking window has not been a big deal for us, but one of these years we will plan on a late Dec visit and having VWL as our home will come in handy.

Unless you're traveling at peak DVC times, you probably don't need to think about buying somewhere that you can get 5 into a studio. Most years you are staying in a one bedroom. The years when you need to get a studio, (unless traveling at peak times) there should not be a problem getting one somewhere that sleeps 5 as long as you book right at 7 months. If you like the MK, then BLT is for you. We own there, and having walking access to the park is incredible. Having monorail access to the other MK resorts for dining and to Epcot is also very convenient. BLT tower also gives you an extra full bath in a one bedroom that you don't get in some of the older resorts. Even though AKL is out for your purchase, the resort is large enough that they almost always have units available at 7 months outside of peak times, so definitely try to stay there occasionally. It is our favorite resort, and a real winner for the kids.

From the pictures and videos we've seen, and because of their proximity to MK, we really love BLT and VWL and I think we'd be happy owning at either of these resorts. We are leaning more toward BLT because I like that the contract expires in 2060 (I'll be 77!). We could probably afford about 200-220 points at BLT. We plan on going every year and I would like to get a 1 bedroom most years, but when we take family or friends we'll need a 2 bedroom, so the year before or after we would have to get a studio. Being a family of 5, we won't fit in a studio at BLT. How hard is it to get a studio at VWL, VPB, VGF (BWV and BCV are going to fit 5 people also, right?) 7 months out? Should we be looking at buying into a resort where we will all fit in a studio instead of BLT?

With the DVC expansion at VWL, Disney will eventually be selling new/more contracts, right? I'm thinking maybe we could buy at BLT now and then add 100 points or so at VWL in about 5 years. Is the expansion expected to cause the price of the existing contracts to go up?

Thanks so much! Any other tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated! :D

Just to comment on 7 month availability. The studios at VGF are pretty hard to come by, one of the more difficult ones overall. We're owners and were unable to book a standard studio for mid-March at the 9 or 10 month mark. BLT is much easier at the 7 month mark, especially lake view. Right now PVB and VWL are easy to come by but PVB is only 10% sold out and has 360 studios, and VWL is undergoing major construction but that will most likely change once new sales begin.

We bought a full contract because we wanted full value out of a direct contract. Plus it was where we wanted to stay. Good luck!

MUST echo what others have said - absolutely BUY where you wish to STAY. The 11 month booking window is precious. In many cases, it is functionally impossible to get a good room at 7 months.

Sandy and I bought into DVC directly through Disney. We refused to buy at all, until they put together a contract for the Villas at Wilderness Lodge. Now, there is going to be a little construction going on.... but we have ZERO regrets, and are by damn BOOKING there :). Already set for Nov 2015, and April 2016 :).

As you can see, most will say buy where you would like to stay. For my family we wanted to be connected to a park or parks. At the time we bought MK was our thought but BLT, VGF, or Poly were not DVC options. The only 2 we considered was the BCV and BWV, both are walking distance to Epcot and DHS. We ended up with BWV and couldn't be happier. Thankfully and surprisingly my kids favorite park is Epcot so we will always walk through Epcot and hit a couple of rides before jumping on the monorail to MK. Lastly, the Boardwalk area itself offers different shops, eateries, and street performers. Great atmosphere.....good luck on your decision.

Thank you all so much for your responses! After some more consideration we decided to make an offer on 210 points at BWV. Our offer was accepted and sent for ROFR. Now we play the waiting game!

Thank you all so much for your responses! After some more consideration we decided to make an offer on 210 points at BWV. Our offer was accepted and sent for ROFR. Now we play the waiting game!

Congrats and best of luck with ROFR. BWV is our home resort and have zero regrets. Being able to boat or walk to two Parks is such a nice option.

My kids are 5 and 2.... We LOVE our BWV.

My older sister owns at BLT. She bought direct in 2009, when kids were 8 and 6,

Fast forward... Once her kids were 11/9 (since 2012), they almost ALWAYS stay in the boardwalk area now. Her kids prefer Epcot/Hollywood to MK. She wishes she had BWV or BCV points now. She told me to buy that area, in fact. I do not regret it one bit...

The BWV standard rooms are AWESOME- great point savers. And you can sleep 5 in a studio, or get a nice 2bd (especially standard) for much less than BLT.

I think you made a great decision!!! Welcome!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter