• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Choosing a park based on ADRs or Crowd Calendar

alopez926

Mouseketeer
Hi All,
I failed to check the crowd calendar before booking my ADRs and it turns out all of the ressies I wanted were only availalbe in "red" crowd parks. Go figure. Because I had so much trouble getting ADRs at all, I was maximally flexible with dates, parks and times, but it yielded a not so positive result.

We're going in November during free dining (but are not on the plan), and it's virtually impossible right now to get reservations in MK or HS for a party of 8 (or even splitting into two parties of 4). I snagged a Fantasmic dining package and BOG, which I am very hesitant to give up.

Would you cancel these and try to re-book on days that aren't "red" days? Parks are estimated to be at 5 or 6 when we are there.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

We are taking our fourth trip in as many years this summer. I have never once looked at the crowd calendar. We've gone in June, November and January and this summer will go in August. We've never experienced crazy crowds. Bottom line, I wouldn't change anything.

Do you have park hoppers? Which sites are you using for crowd calendars? What are the other park levels during your trip? Not sure if I would completely change everything but I would consider playing around with it.

Do you have park hoppers? Which sites are you using for crowd calendars? What are the other park levels during your trip? Not sure if I would completely change everything but I would consider playing around with it.

Hi, We just have Base tickets as we're traveling with my 76 year old mom and my brother's family who have never been to Disney before. I am looking at the easyWDW crowd calendar, but I now see that the Undercover Tourist calendar is significantly different, with most of our park days being yellow rather than red. I guess it's all pretty subjective.

I really like to use to crowd calendars when planning which days we go to which parks. I've found it very helpful. For example, when we went this past June it was a crowd level 8 at all of the parks, but we went to the most recommended parks each day with a general game plan in mind and we never really had to wait more than 30 minutes to ride anything or see any characters. I was shocked at how much we were able to accomplish each day.

With that being said, if it's a tough reservation to get like BOG, I would just keep the reservation and plan your park days around them. (Even if you had park hopper, I personally feel that it's annoying to hop parks in the middle of the day just to go to lunch, but I'm sure others do this all this time.)

How many ADRs are we talking and which restaurants? How dependent are you going to be on FP+? I would keep my options open as long as possible. For instance, we have BOG at 4:15pm on one day and I will keep it for my little girls but that isn't an ideal day to be in MK. I will try to schedule another BOG dinner up until a few days out from our trip because our FPs needs aren't in high demand and will be available the day before. I think this is one reason many people "hoard" ADRs. It isn't to be mean and greedy. It is to help with flexibility as the days draw near and crowd calendars will change. Which they will continue to do in the weeks leading up to the event. I say keep your ADRs and try to schedule your back up itinerary as well.

How many ADRs are we talking and which restaurants? How dependent are you going to be on FP+? I would keep my options open as long as possible. For instance, we have BOG at 4:15pm on one day and I will keep it for my little girls but that isn't an ideal day to be in MK. I will try to schedule another BOG dinner up until a few days out from our trip because our FPs needs aren't in high demand and will be available the day before. I think this is one reason many people "hoard" ADRs. It isn't to be mean and greedy. It is to help with flexibility as the days draw near and crowd calendars will change. Which they will continue to do in the weeks leading up to the event. I say keep your ADRs and try to schedule your back up itinerary as well.
Thank you. Good advice. I'll see if things open up a bit as the trip gets closer. We are only going to be in the parks for 4.5 days so not much flexibility--especially with the Christmas Party cutting into a few evenings at MK. I'm keeping BOG no matter what. May try to switch around Mama Melrose Fantasmic package, Teppan Edo and Yak & Yeti if possible and still hoping I can find an Ohana before we arrive. Lots of time til then.

I think that is totally doable and i even think that BOG could be moved if you are following your cancellation board and are checking MDE a few times a day.

We went during Nov free dining 2 years ago and had no problems with crowds, even though the ADRs were hard to get. I had my little color-coded schedule with notes from multiple crowd calendars, and it was all just fine. :) Don't stress about it too much - especially if your ADRs are where you want them.

A 5 or 6 is not bad. 8 - 10 is bad! I would leave the reservations alone. The one thing I plan on when choosing my parks is the extra magic hours....but usually with extra magic come the higher crowd levels. Once I chose the days Im going to the parks, I start choosing the restaurants. Off peak dining times is best because A) they are a little easier to get and B, while a lot of others are eating, you can get into the attractions!

Figured that I would chime in because my question relate to the above.....We are a party of 2- myself and DD20- more RD not so late type of people. Going Dec 16-25 (arriving late and leaving early so park days are 17-24 )- havent been at Christmas time since 2001. We have FD and most of our ADR's are dinner. With that being said, I'm concerned because a bunch of them are out of the parks ( and we are not late dinner eaters ). I'm thinking that this probably means, we will not be going back to the parks after unless we are supercharged.
This is what I worked up and I think it's okay. Any insight is appreciated. I also think some of it depends on the BOG ADRs being available at my 180+
Here is my first draft. 11 days out until ADR's- we're there for 9 nights on FD( upgraded to Reg DP)-myself and DD20. I know I'm one up on TS but, I think we need to plan to have a sit down lunch on the 23rd
Thurs Dec 17- RD- MK -all day. Lunch Contempo, Dinner WCC( never been), Evening DTD
Fri Dec 18- RD-AK , Lunch WPE- Afternoon MK Dinner 430 (this way we can get on lines for bands at 4)- BOG (first time for dinner) Christmas Party
Sat Dec 19 - RD - HS, Lunch Starring Rolls, Afternoon Epcot, Dinner Biergarten (never been)
Sun Dec 20- RD-MK ,Lunch QS? , Afternoon HS- Dinner Sci FI or MM Fantasmic (DD saw Fantasmic last year, I havent seen it in years- havent been to Sci Fi in probably 10 years -DD doesnt remember- based on time of year, assume we will share a vehicle with another party)
Mon Dec 21 RD- MK, Lunch QS? Afternoon Epcot - Dinner Via ( CP ) (never been)
Tues Dec 22 RD- Epcot- Lunch QS? Afternoon AK- Dinner Boma (our favorite)
Wed Dec 23-RD MK-ALL DAY Lunch Plaza (never been but figure we need an ADR for sit down meal due to crowds)- DInner 1900 Park Faire (DD's request)
Thurs Dec 24-RD AK- Lunch Y&Y, Afternoon HS, Dinner Ragland Road ( Enjoyed 2 1/2 years ago- DDs request)- early night need to leave at 5 am on Christmas

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter