Choosing a date?

LuluLovesDisney

<font color=red>If you're not outraged, you're not
I was just wondering how everyone chose their dates -

Did you always want to marry in a particular season?
Was it difficult to find a date that would allow everyone you really wanted there to attend?
Was it difficult to plan around work schedules, etc. ?

Thanks!!:goodvibes

we are hoping to get 2nd sept 2008 as its our anniversary and the date df proposed as well. we have 4 weeks left till we know if we have the date or not!

We choose the low season and when it was cheaper for everyone to fly over form the uk

We had to go to Florida in July as my sister-in-law is a teacher and my youngest niece is still at school so we had to fit it around the holidays. If we had waited until easter we wouldn't be getting married until 2009 and I wanted 2008. My H2B has to book his holidays over a year in advance!

There are only ten of us going at the moment and they are the most important people to us. His parents, my parents and my brothers family. We bribed them to come as we are paying for the first week of their holiday. This is slightly expensive but so much cheaper than a wedding in England.

We are asking other people to join us and they are more than welcome but we are quite content if it does just end up being ten of us.

I am hoping for November.. I love the fall season... So I wont hear from Disney until Nov. if I get the date for a 2008 wedding... Keeping Fingers crossed:guilty:

Our anniversary of when we got together is August 17th (which was our original date) but because the flight was available on the 16th, it seemed to rushed to get married on the 17th so I moved it to the 20th. I love the Summer season, I grew up in Australia and it's always been my favourite time of year, so I always knew it would be Summertime.

Interesting topic-- I've always wondered why people choose certain days as well.

I love December for several reasons... the holiday season, my birthday and it finally cools off a bit here in Florida! DF and I love all of the decorations at WDW during the holidays and in the past (not so much anymore) it was less crowded at WDW. Since I teach we had to choose a day that was close to winter break. DF wanted to get married on a Friday or Saturday (hopefully easier for guests to travel) so we chose December 14. We thought 12/21 would be too close to Christmas for some of our guests. Of course I was a bit biased since it is my birthday as well...:rolleyes1

How I chose my date, was really looking at who can attend during different times.

DF proposed Dec 18, 2006. I wanted to have my DFTW as soon as (mentally) possible. However this is the year of weddings for me. First I looked at what time would be best for my wedding party. There area few it doesn't matter what time they just have to put in for it. And then the rest are driven by their children. So I knew I needed either summer or winter break from school. Since I didn't want to bake my guests, The Winter break session was the best time.

Now since it was the year of weddings I didn't want anything to over lap.
Here are all the dates I had to do something at different weddings.

5-12, 7-7, 10-4, 10-20 Plus all the bridal showers ect

So December was enough time to fully participate, yet still have my time to shine. I knew I wanted Saturday, I just couldn't see getting married on a weekday. So then Disney decided the rest on thier availablity

I knew we had to get married in the summer in order for most of my family to attend (I am the oldest of 30+ cousins and at the time the youngest was a year old) and for it to be easiest for me to get away from work for the wedding and honeymoon (and any future vacation for our anniversary), the summer is our slow season. I was aiming for the end of June or early July, as I thought August would be unbearable and I wanted to spread out the celebrating (my birthday is 12/26, so I figured the end of June would be a good time to have our anniversary). In July of 2004 the WP was closed for refurbishment so that left the last week of June. The 25th and the 28th were the dates that our venue selections were available, and the 28th would have been my MOH's first anniversary, so we picked the 25th.

I didn't have quite as much coordinating to do since I knew it would just be me and DH for our wedding...and I had a heck of a time choosing a date!

In the end, I managed to figure out that if we were married in September, we could have a "mini-celebration" every quarter!:rotfl: DH's birthday in March, mine in July, our anniversary in September, and, of course, Christmas in December. It worked for us!;)

I don't have my date yet, but we're shooting for Sept. 27th. If we weren't going to Disney then it would have been in late May, but seeing as that's rather hot and unbearable (not to mention crowd levels) at Disney we wanted it later. Plus, most of my friends will have just graduated in May and would be starting new jobs--so I couldn't really expect them to put my wedding first!

Why we decided September was because it was cheaper, meaning we could have our wedding on a Saturday (so people could take weekend trips if they can't get off of work or school), and far enough away from May that my friends could feel comfortable taking a few days off from work. I chose late Sept because hopefully the chance of rain will be less!

Needless to say, some people still aren't happy with a September wedding, but it's satisfying the majority that I'm concerned with.

We're getting married on February 11, 2008. I'm still in school, so that left school holidays for the wedding if we wanted to go longer than a weekend. Summer and Christmas were too hot and/or too busy, so that left winter break in February. I picked the 11th because it was a prime number (did I mention I'm in school for math?), and further away from Valentine's Day. Plus I wanted it closer to the beginning of our trip so that it wasn't on my mind the whole time.

I also thought, being in Canada, that a trip to Florida would be more appreciated in February.

I am hoping for November.. I love the fall season... So I wont hear from Disney until Nov. if I get the date for a 2008 wedding... Keeping Fingers crossed:guilty:

So are we. I'm shooting for Thanksgiving week for our VR. That way the children will be out of school and DH and I will only have to take off 3 additional days of work. We are hoping for a November 24th VR at SBP.

Thanksgiving week is our favorite time to be at Disney, the weather is cooler and the Christmas decorations are going up and the parks are just beautiful!

We are getting married in January. At first when choosing a a date we were most worried about when would be ok weather wise in Florida. We though the fall would be perfect. Which is why it is busy season. So then we took into consideration budget for us and our guests and saw that January was a low season and even though cold for florida weather it would feel great to everyone coming down from the north. It will be cheaper for our guests and the parks less busy. And I think since we really have no kids coming we didn't have to worry about school schedules. I am also excited because my wedding will be far away from all the summer weddings that usually happen at home so I think it will feel special.

Interesting topic-- I've always wondered why people choose certain days as well.

I love December for several reasons... the holiday season, my birthday

I was thinking the same thing. On top of it our anniversary is in December too. I originally wanted Christmas Eve, but figured it would be way too difficult for people to get down there. Add in prices and crowds and that was a definite no. We choose our anniversary instead. As for our guests, I knew it would be somewhat difficult with it being inbetween holidays and all. I knew it would be the best time for everyone to come to Disney though.

I wanted to get married in May & my fav # is 27....so we got married on 5-22

(5 + 22 = 27) and it happened to fall on a Monday which was cheaper!

I chose Labor Day weekend, because I wanted a summer or early fall wedding (my favorite time of year), and I thought a 3-day weekend would make it easier for people who can't take a lot of time off work. It's not ideal for teachers, but we only have a few of them. And for everybody else, it's nice that it falls within a less crowded, 'value' season at Disney.

We went with a Sunday wedding, because our ceremony and reception are both in the morning. Since many guests will fly down Friday after work, this gives them a full day in the parks before the wedding.

It turns out that our date is September 2nd, 2007, which is exactly two years after I first visited Austin. And if I hadn't visited Austin and decided to move there shortly thereafter, I never would have met DF. September 2nd is also a significant date in Atlas Shrugged, my favorite book. (But I only just recently realized that. It wasn't a reason for the date.)

My DF and I have been dating for 5 years and got engaged on our 5 year anniversary. We decided we wanted to keep the same anniversary date so we chose June 24, 2008. :cloud9:

We chose October because it is a slower time at work for me so taking a couple weeks off won't be a problem. Also nearly all of our guests will have to travel pretty far and October seems to be a cheaper travel season (but a premium wedding season!? Go figure :confused3 ). Our wedding date isn't confirmed yet (crossing our fingers), but we are looking at Oct 9th 2008, that is 10.09.08 (what can I say, I'm a numbers person :rotfl: ) And that date happens to fall on a Thursday which means lower minimums too! :thumbsup2
But with our wedding, F&W Fest at Epcot, and MNSSHP at MK all going on while we are there, there is so much fun stuff for us to do with our families and guests. It should end up being a great time for everyone.

We chose our wedding date around family members. My brother will be graduating from college and I didn't want to do anything before then and then we looked at high school schedules because of other family members and picked memorial day week so that people already had a day or two off

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter