Choices at the California Grill

billsfan

Lets Go BUFF-A-LO
We are eating at the California Grill for the first time this October.
I have never tried the three things I am planning to eat for dinner.
I am not trying to maximize our Deluxe Dining plan but I want to try Sushi for my appetizer, Buffalo for my entree and the Cheese Plate for my dessert.

The amount of food will not be an issue for me but will the combination of these three thing not mingle well in my tummy?:confused3.

I love fish/seafood but I have never eaten sushi. I live in central Ohio and I have never been to a resturant I would trust eating sushi in.

I love beef and deer meat. I always wanted to try buffalo but I don't really know how to prepare it.

I have also never eaten a piece of cheese that I didn't liked but I have probably never eaten cheeses like at the California Grill.

So please help me food connoisseurs and let me know if this combination of foods will likely send me to the smallest room of our villa for the rest of the evening.:scared1:

I don't see why it would, but you know your body and how your stomach reacts best.

If that's what you want to eat, go for it!

If you haven't tried sushi before, I would advise you not to try it for the first time at California Grill, even though I think their sushi is fantastic. I also think nobody here is qualified to tell you what will cause you to have indigestion! (That's different for every individual, you know?) ;)

I think that it takes a while for newcomers to sushi and cheeses to grow to appreciate them. It took me a while to do that, not in one sitting!

As for buffalo, it's leaner than most beef, but otherwise very similar flavor profile. Because it's lean, I think it's best if it's medium rare to medium. IMHO, buffalo isn't good if it's cooked longer. I think you'd like it since you like beef.

I say go for it. I have an iron stomach and wouldn't have a problem.

For the sushi, I'd suggest maybe sticking with a tuna. It's milder than some of the others and if you are new to it, the tuna is a good place to start.

The cheeses will mostly have a strong flavor. Do you like dry bleu cheese, goat cheese? I love the cheese plate but my husband does not. He likes cheese but a little goes a long way. The desserts at Ca Grill are some of the best at WDW so I'd hate to see you miss a good one to only find out you don't like strong tasting cheese.

You should be fine with the buffalo since you like red meat. I don't eat a lot of red meat so buffalo tastes the same to me.

I think you will like the buffalo if you like other game meats. It's very beefy and a bit leaner that beef. We prefer it in my household because of it's lack of anitbiotics, etc.

As far as sushi goes, I would try sushi somewhere else first and see if you like it. CG has great sushi and I'm definitely going to order it but I LOVE sushi.

I love cheese of all kinds. If you like strong cheeses, soft cheese and hard cheese you should be fine. I always order cheese plates if available.

Good luck with your dinner!! :goodvibes

As previous posters have stated, you know what will make you feel ill better than we do...

If you really want to try sushi (really, can't think of many better places to try it for the first time), you could always let your server know of your inexperience when you're ordering. I remember reading on a trip report that a couple did this and they were given a special plate, 1/2 California roll (crab and cucumber) and 1/2 Shrimp Tempura roll (tempura shrimp and mango and probably one of the greatest things created by man). The Shrimp Tempura roll is not on the menu but they do prepare it if you ask for it. This way you won't be getting into very unfamiliar territory if you want to play it safe. For what it's worth, DH had sushi for the first time @ CG and has been eating it ever since.

I don't think you'll find the cheeses toooo challenging. I mean, it's not mozzarella string cheese or Kraft sharp cheddar, but I haven't had anything at any of the WDW restaurants that I regretted trying. They come with nice accompaniments, too, and it's not as if you get huge servings of each so if you don't like it, it'll go to waste. Give it a shot, what have you got to lose?

I don't see buffalo on the menu on the WDW website?

I don't see buffalo on the menu on the WDW website?

Another good point. I don't recall seeing buffalo at California Grill, and I've eaten there many times. I usually see it at Artist Point at the Wilderness Lodge.

And menu items are sometimes rotated on/off the menu seasonally.

We had dinner at CG about 2 weeks ago and the bison was replaced with lamb.

With the exception of their signature dishes, their menu changes constantly based on availability of quality ingredients.

If you have never had sushi before, then I would go with a California Roll or a Shrimp Tempura Roll. I love love love the Spicy Kazan roll, there is some raw in it, but not very much. As someone mentioned the Shrimp Tempura Roll is not on the menu, but my daughter has ordered it several times.

The meal seems like a heavy one, the cheese may send it over the top, just see how you feel when dessert time rolls around. I have never ordered the cheese plate at CG, because the dessert choices were just toooo tempting.

We are eating at the California Grill for the first time this October.
I have never tried the three things I am planning to eat for dinner.
I am not trying to maximize our Deluxe Dining plan but I want to try Sushi for my appetizer, Buffalo for my entree and the Cheese Plate for my dessert.

The amount of food will not be an issue for me but will the combination of these three thing not mingle well in my tummy?:confused3.

I love fish/seafood but I have never eaten sushi. I live in central Ohio and I have never been to a resturant I would trust eating sushi in.

I love beef and deer meat. I always wanted to try buffalo but I don't really know how to prepare it.

I have also never eaten a piece of cheese that I didn't liked but I have probably never eaten cheeses like at the California Grill.

So please help me food connoisseurs and let me know if this combination of foods will likely send me to the smallest room of our villa for the rest of the evening.:scared1:

Billsfan,

I've eaten sushi at CG many, many times. I think the quality is good...not like LA (Geisha House, etc) but quite good. Honestly, you can get as good or better in Ohio. I see you're from Dover. Nagoya at Levis Commons (near Toldeo) and Restaurant Hama (Columbus, Easton ) have excellent sushi. Here's my tip...start with a roll, regardless of it being cooked or not. These tend to have less "fish" and more of everything else. If you go with Nigeri or Sashimi, you may get more raw fish than you bargained for. That's how I broke my wife in...spicy tuna rolls ;) Enjoy!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter