Chocolate Fountain for Teenager party?

rszdtrvl

DIS Veteran
Would this be a hit or a miss? Huge mess or worth the mess?

I am considering getting one for my son's 16th birthday party next week.

If it would be a hit, what items would you purchase for the kids to dip into the chocolate?

I am really teetering - trying to figure out if it is a good idea or not......

It might be fun. Is it boys and girls? I think girls would get more into it than guys, but that is just my two cents. I think boys would prefer a cheese fountain! :thumbsup2

We had one for DD's 4th grade Valentine's Day party at school and the kids LOVED it and it really wasn't messy (surprisingly). We had graham crackers, marshmellows, strawberries, bananas, pound cake cubes and pretzels. The fruit went first (another surprise!). I think it sounds like a great idea and do a cheese fondue as well!

We have a little tabletop one and the kids love it. It really isn't terribly messy - we put a pretty serving tray under the fountain itself and that catches 90% of the drips. I usually pick up strawberries, bananas, oranges, marshmallows, and pretzels to go with it. My 14yo son likes to try different things too - gummy worms, gumdrops, Peeps, all sorts of craziness.

I would be for a group of teens - ages 14-18. I really am leaning towards it. I think it would be a lot of fun for them. And I have laminate floors, so any mess would be pretty easy to clean up.

When we go to weddings, that is the first thing my boys ask, "Is there going to be a chocolate fountain?" If yes, there are ALWAYS eager to get dressed up. If not, they beg to stay with grandma!

I think it'll be a hit!

(Then again the fondue pot is a hit too! - cheese or chocolate)

ETA- marshmallows, pretzels, sara lee pound cake cut into cubes, nutterbutters, bananas and strawberries, graham crackers and they will search the house to try out "other" things, even doritos chips (blech! - but they have so much fun)

We have one at home and use it for dd's end of year class parties. The older the kids the less messy they have been.
In addition to the dippers mentioned we have had rice crispy treats (on sticks like lolly pops), oreos, ruffles potato chips, pretzels, a bowl of raisins to scoop up the drips on the plate. Strawberries and marshmallows are always the most popular. Just make sure you have lots of extra napkins, small paper plates, and something to use (like skewers) to put the food on to dip it.

I am going to try to find some small appetizer forks for them to use. Plus, I have a bunch of lollipop sticks too.

I looked around town and didn't find one (didn't really expect to) and ordered one today from Amazon.com. Should be here Thursday - party is Saturday.

My daughters friends love our chocolate fountain. We dip pretzels, pound cake, bananas, strawberries, red licorice, Rice Krispie treats, gummy worms, marshmallows. Thats all I can think of right now.

They would love it!

In addition to the other items people have already mentioned, rice krispie treats are also great for it, and also oreos. :)

If I were using it I would also want pineapple as an option, but I'm not sure if the boys would necessarily want that.

My son loves pineapple, so we will definitely be getting some of that. Keep those suggestions coming please! I really appreciate the info!

How about mini candy canes? Or would that be gross? But I like mint chocolate....not sure if that would hit the mark though?

Oh, and any "chocolate fountain recipes"?

Everything I read online said 1/2 c. oil for every 5 pounds of chocolate. I just got a little fountain, and am definitely not going through 5 pounds of chocolate.

Any tips of hints to get the chocolate to the perfect consistency?

Everything I read online said 1/2 c. oil for every 5 pounds of chocolate. I just got a little fountain, and am definitely not going through 5 pounds of chocolate.

You might be surprised how much they go through. My BFF has one and we have used it with all age kids. It is soooo fun and the kids love it. All the above mentioned foods are great. You can do the rice crispy treats in a theme shape on a stick. I would use sticks over forks as they are easier and more sanitary as they can just toss them rather than trying to find their same fork every time they get a snack. It is for sure a grazing food.

I would get it out Friday and try it out before the party in order to be sure it works right and you have the right consistency.

You might be surprised how much they go through. My BFF has one and we have used it with all age kids. It is soooo fun and the kids love it. All the above mentioned foods are great. You can do the rice crispy treats in a theme shape on a stick. I would use sticks over forks as they are easier and more sanitary as they can just toss them rather than trying to find their same fork every time they get a snack. It is for sure a grazing food.

I would get it out Friday and try it out before the party in order to be sure it works right and you have the right consistency.

Like small BBQ skewers? Thanks again! Y'all are the best!

I got some 4" skewers and decided on having the following to dip :

Pretzels
Graham Crackers
Peanut Butter Cookies (on a stick)
Marshmallows
Banana Bread
Rice Krispy Treats
Mini Brownie Bites
Apples
Bananas

The Rice Krispy Treats and Banana Bread will be cut into smaller pieces. And I will possibly buy Swedish Fish and/or Sour Patch Kids.

Sound okay?? Along with the chocolate fountain, there will also be potato chips, punch, and birthday cake.

I owned a catering company and had a huge 3 ft chocolate fountain and a small 24inch fountain. They are party pleasers and I've never heard anyone say, "I wish I didn't have that chocolate fountain." Many times we'd use the little one for ranch and have veggies to dip. (I've never seen kids eat so many vegetables!)

So, I'm not sure if you have time, but I always order specific chocolate fountain chocolate that does not require oil. Whenever you add the oil, the taste of the chocolate becomes diluted. Go to http://www.sephra.com or sometimes Bed Bath & Beyond sells it. If it's crunch time, you can use any kind of chocolate that is 60% cacao or higher. Walmart sells a 60% cacao by Ghiradelli that is delicious. If it's a small fountain, you'll need about 6lbs of it, but beware, as the kids eat it, the fountain doesn't cascade as nicely. Have some extra bags on hand to melt in a pinch and if you don't use it you can always return it!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter