• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Chinese restaurant: chopsticks or fork?

I love to eat with chop sticks and do so whenever I have a chance. I got really good at it when I spent a week in China (they'd give you a fork if requested, but I decided that 'when in Rome...') and like to show off. Everyonce in a while my hands will be too tired to deal with them (I type a lot at work and my hands hurt sometimes) but most of the time I'll use the chopsticks.

I'm proficient with chopsticks, even to the last grain of rice, but don't use them at all any more. I have Arthritis in my hands and the pinching motion can make using them difficult and painful. :sad1:

Chopsticks for both Chinese and Japanese food. If the rice is made correctly there shouldn't be any problems. Heck I was even able to eat brown rice with my chopsticks on Sunday, no shoveling needed. ;)

DD and I use chopsticks but DH uses a fork. I'm not very good with them so they're great diet aids ;) :rotfl2: .

Jerry Seinfeld used to do a bit about eating with chopsticks...

"Have the Chinese never seen the shovel...?"

I use chopsticks when I am using a bowl and a fork when my food is on a plate..much easier :)

Chinese restaurant: chopsticks or fork?

I'm more of an "eat-on-the-fly-use-feathers" type. Do prefer the roadkill to be fresh, though. Kinda picky like that. :blush:

Traditionally the Chinese use chopsticks with a bowl. They pick up a piece of meat or veggie and then scoop the rice into their mouth with their chopstick. So when we're out eating Chinese food, I'll use a fork. Why, because if I tried to use chopsticks on a plate with rice my mom would laugh at me because she is Chinese ;)

Deb

I found that if I take my pocket knife and sharpen one of them to point I can use it to skewer the big peices and if I whittle a flate spot on the other one, I can use it as a scoop for the small stuff like rice.....or I just use the fork :teeth:

nile455 said:
I know how to use chopsticks, but I find it much easier to eat certain Chinese foods like rice and smaller items with a fork. I realize I am the only person in the entire restaurant using a fork, and I could care less. How about you? Do you care how you "look" in a chic restaurant, or would you use a fork because it picks up certain foods better?
I use chopsticks only. I have been using them since I was a very young child so picking up anything with them is not an issue for me. I lived in Japan from age 2 to 6 and was taught by my Japanese nanny. Btw I prefer Japanese chopsticks to Chinese, but can use either equally well.

My Dad taught me how to use chopsticks when I was a child, so I find them v. easy to manipulate. Therefore, I always use chopsticks when I eat Chinese (even at home!).

If I didn't know how to eat w/chopsticks, I'd use a fork.

I grew up using chopsticks, so I prefer to use them. I do agree, though, that the plate is not widely used in Asia....bowls are more typical. Chopsticks are easier to use with a bowl, but I can use them with a plate as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter