Chilkoot Charters, Skagway excursion

doebeleb

Mouseketeer
I really want to see emerald lake while we are in Skagway. Initially I was planning on renting a car and doing the drive ourselves, but now I've started thinking about trying to couple it with the train as I think it will be more entertaining for the kids (9,6,2). I have been looking at two of the bus/rail tours through Chilkoot, either the Bennett Scenic Journey or Yukon Rail and Bus. It's hard to tell from their website the difference between the two. Bennett seems to take you further on the train and Yukon stops at one of the musher camps but otherwise I can't tell much difference. Anyone done either of these? Recommendations? Other ideas?

I really want to see emerald lake while we are in Skagway. Initially I was planning on renting a car and doing the drive ourselves, but now I've started thinking about trying to couple it with the train as I think it will be more entertaining for the kids (9,6,2). I have been looking at two of the bus/rail tours through Chilkoot, either the Bennett Scenic Journey or Yukon Rail and Bus. It's hard to tell from their website the difference between the two. Bennett seems to take you further on the train and Yukon stops at one of the musher camps but otherwise I can't tell much difference. Anyone done either of these? Recommendations? Other ideas?

I was looking at the same thing, curious to hear responses.

We did the Yukon Rail & Bus (with my kids adding on the Dogcart experience). We took the bus up and the train back.

I think the difference between the two is primarily lunch and the Bennett train goes a bit further. Our excursion stopped for lunch at the Caribou Crossing Trading post, where the dog mushers are. It was a cute little semi-village where they had the lunch set up, puppies, dog mushers, ice cream shop, etc. We also stopped at the town of Caribou Crossing.

It looks like the Bennett Scenic Journey stops for lunch at a difference place so you won't see the Trading Post/Dog Musher camp at all. But most of the other sites looks the same (Caribou Crossing Depot, Emerald Lake, Yukon sign, etc).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter