Chili recipe that is flavorful but not too spicy?

minnie1012

DIS Veteran
Hi My husband and I enjoy chili but all my recipes are really spicy. My kids really don't like spicy food and my daughter also has alot of stomach issues. I found some non spicy ones but they weren't too flavorful. So I was wondering if anyone had a chili recipe that was really flavorful but not too spicy?

Thanks!

I use chili powder, cumin, oregano and hot sauce but you can omit the hot sauce to keep it from being too spicy.

I have enjoyed this recipe for years now, and you can adjust the amount of chili posder to your taste.

Halftime Chili
yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings
A winner in the Bon Appétit Recipes Sweepstakes

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
8 large garlic cloves, chopped
3 pounds ground chuck
5 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes with added puree
1 14 1/2-ounce can low-salt chicken broth
1 12-ounce bottle beer
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
2 15- to 16-ounce can prepared chili beans

Heat oil in heavy large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic. Sauté until onions are translucent, about 8 minutes. Add chuck and sauté until brown, breaking up meat with back of spoon, about 5 minutes. Add chili powder, cumin, basil, oregano and thyme. Stir 2 minutes. Mix in crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, beer and tomato paste. Simmer until thickened to desired consistency, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Mix in beans. Simmer 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 3 days ahead. Refrigerate until cold, then cover. Rewarm over low heat before serving.)

Check out the Pioneer Woman on Food Network.She did a chili recipe today that looked super quick and very easy. Sorry I'd post a link but I can't.

I follow the recipe on the McCormick's MILD chili packet ( usually in with the salad dressings and spices packets aisle) and then add my own touches:

corn
onion
cheddar cheese

Then I serve it over shell noodles or cornbread.

I work with a lot of people who don't care for spicy food. I always bring chili for potlucks. Instead of my usual spices and green chile, I just add one can of Ro-tel--I refuse to use the mild version but it is an option to tone the spice down even further if you want to do that. It gives it a good flavor but it's not overly spicy.

What about White Chicken chili? My DS who is 8 doesn't care for really spicy stuff either, and also isn't a big fan of beef. The recipe I have is done in the slow cooker...It uses great northern beans, cilantro, a little lime juice, dash of hot sauce.... not a whole lot else. Yummy! Add a blob of sour cream before you serve, and my DS usually outeats me :)

I just remembered...it's from the Betty Crocker website, if you're interested.

My version has a slightly sweet taste:

2 cans chili beans
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 small onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef, browned
Chili Powder (to taste; I use approx. 3-4 Tbsp)
Brown Sugar, approx. 1/8 C. or to taste

Garnish with shredded cheese and Juanita's tortilla chips

This is a non spicy chili, and you can substitute different styles of tomatoes (stewed, diced, sauce, etc) and beans (kidneys, plain pintos, etc). It's my family's favorite chili! I have done it both stovetop and in the slow cooker--I prefer the slow cooker. It definitely tastes best after having cooked slowly all day.

The best way to add flavor and no heat is with plenty of garlic then things you like onions, roasted peppers, cumin, beer, good beef stock, wine, a hearty beer etc.

I agree with the McCormick Chili packets - I double the packets for more flavor but it is not spicy and has no heat

Okay, My DH doesn't like his food to 'hot'.
But, spice and flavor are fine.

I do a really simple recipe.
No special secret ingredients...
I use garlic. A good amount of garlic powder.
And regular, like McCormick, chili powder.
And, no it does not taste 'italian'.
Just flavorful! ;)

I used to use some cumin, but it is not necessary...
It is a more distinct taste.
So, make sure that it is to your preference....

I dice and saute onion and greenpeppers.
Add the meat.. I do both a regular chili with ground beef, and a white chicken chili. (for chicken chili, a regular traditinal roasted chicken from Walmart does the trick... and you don't have to saute it. Just dice up the meat and throw it in.)

Different kinds of beans... well drained, or almost rinsed...
Pinto and small red kidney, or white with red kidney for white chicken chili.
Warm them in the big pot, with some water or beef/chicken stock, while you are sauteing everything else.

The Swanson stock... NOT BROTH... the stock, in the carboard type carton with the plastic screwtop... It is great.

Add your spices to the saute mixture at the last minute, or you can just add them to the big pot when add your saute to the pot to combine everything.

Last, I add some good Muir Glenn diced tomatoes.

Let simmer on LOW...
Barely simmering...
Everything is already cooked, and you don't want your ingredients to begin to break down and disintigrate.

Now, for me, I can do more spice.
I could add some ground red pepper, or some diced Jalapeno...

But just the chile powder alone is not that hot or spicy. ;)

This is my Grandmother's Recipe, the whole family has been using it for years

brown 1 lb ground beef
and 1 choppd oinion

add 2 cans hot chili beans
1- 8 oz can tomato paste
and 2 -3 tbsp chili powder

I use Publix brand beans even the hot ones are not really hot
but you can use the mild ones.

I simmer it as long as I have time, some times it simmers for hours
sometimes we eat it right away.

lb. ground beef
1 cup each of onion and bell pepper
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can del monte mexican tomatoes
1 can pork-n-beans (give it a little sweet taste)
1 can dark red kidney beans
1pkg of McCormick (mild) chili seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
pinch of sugar

serve over rice. mmmmmm mmmmmmm good!

I've always used Carrol Shelby Chili mix and added my own burger, garlic, onions, cans of crushed tomatoes and cans of mexican chili beans.

Cook ground beef with small chopped onion together. Drain off excess grease.

Add Campbell's canned tomato soup and canned dark kidney beans.

You can add mushrooms too, if you wish.

Simmer for 20 minutes or so.

Tasty but not spicy at all.

A good key is to brown the meat really nicely before adding it to the chili. If you just cook it, and it's more greyish, then it won't add a nice flavor. This is also the step I add the seasoning the meat. Then it simmers in the crock pot.

I use just chili powder, garlic, onion, cilantro (there's a lot of people that either love it or hate, so maybe if you omit it, they might like it), and there's a weber's spice called smokehouse maple. That stuff is amazingly good, I love it. It gives a good flavor to any meat.

But taste the meat as you add the flavors, till it's good, then add it to a stock pot with the beans and tomatoes. I also think the longer you cook it, the richer the flavor, but it simmers the heat down a little.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter