childswap question

dizzy about daisy

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone, we will be going on our first trip to DW with 2 boys ages 3 and 5. I know the 5 year old is all in for rides but not as sure about 3 yr old. He is for the most part really willing to try new things and is very adventuresome as well as likes most rides he has been on other places. If my DH takes the older child through rides with childswap and thinks the younger one can handle it after being on the ride could I than take the younger one through the ride instead of the child that just rode using the childswap?

dizzy about daisy said:
Hi everyone, we will be going on our first trip to DW with 2 boys ages 3 and 5. I know the 5 year old is all in for rides but not as sure about 3 yr old. He is for the most part really willing to try new things and is very adventuresome as well as likes most rides he has been on other places. If my DH takes the older child through rides with childswap and thinks the younger one can handle it after being on the ride could I than take the younger one through the ride instead of the child that just rode using the childswap?

Child swap is typically done in situations where the child is not tall enough to ride--not if they are just unwilling to ride. Unless the child grew taller during those few minutes, then no. ;)

Unless there's a height restriction, I'd just plan for you all to ride the rides together. If he chickens out, then just get out of line before boarding. I'm sure he'll be fine. Most of the rides are very young child friendly.

Can you quick swap if neither of your children want to ride something? Or are you better just grabbing FP, and one adult goes in, wait for them to come out and then the other adult rides.

browerjs said:
Can you quick swap if neither of your children want to ride something? Or are you better just grabbing FP, and one adult goes in, wait for them to come out and then the other adult rides.

Child swap is typically done in situations where the child is not tall enough to ride--not if they are just unwilling to ride.

mesaboy2 said:
Child swap is typically done in situations where the child is not tall enough to ride--not if they are just unwilling to ride.

My DD is 5 and terrified of the Tower of Terror but certainly big enough to ride it though. We were able to use the rider swap w no problems. She went on everything else though. I think it's all the screams you hear coming up to the building that gets her.

My DD is 5 and terrified of the Tower of Terror but certainly big enough to ride it though. We were able to use the rider swap w no problems. She went on everything else though. I think it's all the screams you hear coming up to the building that gets her.

You can always find a CM who bends a rule here and there. But Mesaboy is right. It is technically just for those who don't meet the height restriction. If someone lets you use it in another circumsatance, then consider yourself pixie-dusted.

I don't understand all the ins and outs our child swap. But my understand is that some folks have found a way to cheat the system with it so they are more careful with how they allow it to be used.

mesaboy2 said:

They offered us one when dd7 chickened out at the boarding of Everest. She's well more than tall enough.

mom2rtk said:
You can always find a CM who bends a rule here and there. But Mesaboy is right. It is technically just for those who don't meet the height restriction. If someone lets you use it in another circumsatance, then consider yourself pixie-dusted.

I don't understand all the ins and outs our child swap. But my understand is that some folks have found a way to cheat the system with it so they are more careful with how they allow it to be used.

I guess I don't understand the rules either... We certainly weren't trying to cheat anyone and we rode it several times during our stay without a problem at all, and we asked at the ride entrance to double check. I guess I can see how it could be abused if one parent gets a FP. However where it's just the three of us we all waited in line together and swapped at the entrance to elevators, that's what the CMs had us do. DH waited while I rode and then I took her outside and we waited for him.

They offered us one when dd7 chickened out at the boarding of Everest. She's well more than tall enough.

Note my use of the word "typically". Your experiences are exactly why I put it in there. ;)

Note my use of the word "typically". Your experiences are exactly why I put it in there. ;)

So from reading the thread, I guess the best thing to do is just ask the CM before you get in line if you have a child who is tall enough but might not want to ride.

I guess I don't understand the rules either... We certainly weren't trying to cheat anyone and we rode it several times during our stay without a problem at all, and we asked at the ride entrance to double check. I guess I can see how it could be abused if one parent gets a FP. However where it's just the three of us we all waited in line together and swapped at the entrance to elevators, that's what the CMs had us do. DH waited while I rode and then I took her outside and we waited for him.

I wasn't implying you were trying to cheat anything. I hope you didn't read it that way. Just alot of individual CM leeway on this. But technically they are only supposed to do it for those who don't meet the height requirement.

I still haven't figured out how people were "cheating" the system on this. Every time I start reading a thread to figure it out, the thread gets ugly and I top reading.

I wasn't implying you were trying to cheat anything. I hope you didn't read it that way. Just alot of individual CM leeway on this. But technically they are only supposed to do it for those who don't meet the height requirement.

I still haven't figured out how people were "cheating" the system on this. Every time I start reading a thread to figure it out, the thread gets ugly and I top reading.

I really dont know how you would cheat it either... since you only get one fast pass when you do do it. But I know people get really upset about it. We waited in line just like everyone else, just at the same time rather than getting a fast pass or doing the line twice.

I really dont know how you would cheat it either... since you only get one fast pass when you do do it. But I know people get really upset about it. We waited in line just like everyone else, just at the same time rather than getting a fast pass or doing the line twice.

People get their knickers in a twist over everything. I just roll with it. I mean some think that pulling more than one set of FPs for a ride is "cheating" :confused3

Oh well. They'd probably flip to know that a CM let me and DD7 in through the exit door to meet buzz and woody too, when DH and DD11 got to them. DD7 didnt want to wait in a 20 min line, so she went with me to get FPs for them to ride RNRC and when we came back we were waiting outside, patiently. DD7 saw her sister, and said "they are next" and I said cool. the CM said "you can go in with them, if you'd like" I told her that wasnt necessary, DD7 knew the consequences when she chose not to wait, and she said, really, its no problem. As long as 'one person is in line its all good'. Ok then. DD11 was a little put out by that. :rotfl2:

Swapping at the top of the line like you do is generally allowed IME. I think what others are referring to is the rider swap where the scared child doesn't wait in line at all. They do not (typically) give out rider switch passes in that case. But if you all wait and then one waits with scared child while the other rides....that is a different thing.

the only way i really see to "cheat" the system is really just using the rider swap to your advantage and not cheating.
- Both parents grab fast passes for ToT. Then, when their fast pass time returns they get a rider swap (child too short). So, one parent can ride twice (both by themselves) through fast pass line and the other one time.

in this instance, a rider swap isn't really necessary because both have fast passes and would be riding alone anyway. you can also do a variation of this by one parent grabbing a fast pass at RnRC and one at ToT so the returns times are close. Then go and grab a rider swap at each and knock out two of the big rides in 30 minutes with practically no waits.

i can see how people who are not able to use this would consider it cheating but both are allowed.

i did notice on this december trip that all of the CMs were making sure that all of the people riding or staying behind as well as the child were present.
if people were lying about having kids, then that is cheating the system.

This makes no sense to me. We had the exact same thing happen at Everest, DS 7 chickened out. I just told the nearest CM and she showed him the way to the exit (store) while the rest of us rode together. Why did you need a childswap at that point when you were all about to board :confused3 Exact same thing happened with DD 8 and RNR, again she was shown to the store while the rest of us rode.

This makes no sense to me. We had the exact same thing happen at Everest, DS 7 chickened out. I just told the nearest CM and she showed him the way to the exit (store) while the rest of us rode together. Why did you need a childswap at that point when you were all about to board :confused3 Exact same thing happened with DD 8 and RNR, again she was shown to the store while the rest of us rode.

There was a really long thread on here a while back about whether a seven-year-old is old enough to wait by herself while the rest of the group rides EE. Opinion was pretty well divided. My guess is that the CM on duty when 1stvisit0909's daughter didn't want to ride fell in the opposite camp from the CM's you encountered.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter