• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Children's age restrictions at Disneyland

Michaella

Mouseketeer
Our son has just turned 10... do you think we could pass him off as a 9 year old for character meals etc?

You will not find a lot of encouragement on these board when it comes to breaking/bending rules to save a buck! ;)

And what kind of message does that send to your son when you lie to save a couple of bucks? Dishonesty is OK if it saves you 7 dollars? Is it really worth it to you?

And what kind of message does that send to your son when you lie to save a couple of bucks? Dishonesty is OK if it saves you 7 dollars? Is it really worth it to you?

Ugh. My dad used to do that at the movies. It sucked. OTOH, we were pretty poor so saving a couple bucks each on me and my cousin could make the difference between seeing a movie and not seeing a movie.

Dishonesty breeds dishonesty. I don't think it's ever ok to lie; but lying in a situation where your children understand you're lying is going to lead to problems. That's my opinion. Could you pass him off as 9? I don't know how tall/big he is, so I'm not sure. Is it right? Nope.

I wouldn't do it but I can agree and sympathize with you that it is awful! Since when is 10 years old anywhere near an adult!!

DD is 10 this trip and paying extra for her ticket was not too bad but all the dining increases are significant not to mention she still eats like a kid and wants to order off the children's menu. Trying to book a WOC meal and she doesn't like anything on any adult menu so I am going in prepared to pay for the adult meal and hopefully be able to get her a kids meal or just plain buttered pasta. We are planning on BB too and there is NO way she will like anything on the adult menu so we'll have to beg for "special" consideration in there too.

I am still trying to find the upside to dd being an "adult" in DL! Let me know if you find ANY positives at all.

I do know people that have done it though and had no trouble. I guess it depends on the kid and how comfortable you are with him saying he is 9. I would not ask dd to do that or lie in any situation. They often ask the kids as you are going into the gate.

Either way, you will have to have a talk. Dd still doesn't understand WHY she is an adult. We finally had to tell her it was just about money-ugh....

Character meals are one thing, and I wouldn't do it. My DD is 10 this year too.

However, buying children's meals from counter service or even standard table service is okay, as some adults purchase them too for smaller portion sizes. There, you are getting what you pay for, rather than a buffet at a character meal.

Character meals are one thing, and I wouldn't do it. My DD is 10 this year too.

However, buying children's meals from counter service or even standard table service is okay, as some adults purchase them too for smaller portion sizes. There, you are getting what you pay for, rather than a buffet at a character meal.

Yes, this was what I was going to say too. There should be no problem ordering off the kids meal for counter service or the regular table service restaurants, just not the character meals and buffets.

As for why 10 is considered an adult. I think one reason is that they figure by the time you're 10 years old most people are able to go on all the rides and attractions and therefore are using all the "perks" of having a ticket to DLR. At least that's what I always thought the reason was.

No one should feel obligated to order something their child will not eat. At BB my 14 y.o. won't eat off the adult menu so she orders from the kids' menu, my DD10 does the same thing. Also at places like BB or CO you can order from the kids' menu with no problems, we asked the server at CO if DD14 could order from the kids' menu because there was nothing she would eat from the adult menu (she was 13 at the time, she just turned 14 this month) and the server said she could either order as a kids meal or she could order a kids meal with the "double-double" feature, that's double the food for double the price. Since DD eats like a bird she ordered a kids size and barely finished it, but we did tip the server as if she had ordered the double-double feature. :) Also at CS places they won't question you at all, I've eaten off the kids' menus at CS places.

Also, if your child is 9 at the start of your trip then your child is 9 for the duration of the trip, for instance we took DD10 for her bday in December, we started the trip 4 days before her bday and left the day after so for Disney's purposes she was 9 the entire trip. Of course we had APs so the ticket prices didn't matter but for her bday meal at BB it did matter and she was noted as a child.

FTR I wouldn't say she was 9 for tickets or for character meals but if she wants a kids meal (or if DD14 or myself want one) we will order kids meals. :)

The way I look at it, I will have to start paying full price for them at some point, so it might as well be when they are at the right age. This way there is no lying or questioning about it. For me, lying causes lots of stress and worry, and I would rather just relax and enjoy myself, instead. I also want to be a good example for my children whenever humanly possible--and this one case where I am able to set that good example.

I do feel your pain, though--as my daughter just turned 10 and I just now bought our 3 day parkhoppers for our upcoming trip. The little devil on my shoulder was whispering "she just turned 10, who will know?" and then the Blue Fairy on my other shoulder whispered "you will know, and so will your kids--it is worth more to be honest about it!". My daughter actually came up to me when I was ordering the tickets and said "we could say I am 9 since I just turned 10..." and it felt good to tell her that it was important to tell the truth and do the right thing. She agreed, and I breathed a sigh of relief.

Your son is at an age where he knows what kind of lies are wrong and "right" - and if he's on the right track, he'll feel discomfort when telling the wrong lies. He's going to see that his age is older than the kid's menu because the age range is printed clearly to see, and he's going to come to his own conclusions why he's being 'passed off' as a younger child. If he learns that there are times when it's okay to lie for the wrong reasons, he'll learn to feel less discomfort when acting deceitful or telling these lies - and that you definitely don't want. ;)

As others brought up, when the menu is the same for kids and adults, pay the adult fare. In situations when the children's menu is different, let him ask the waitstaff if it's okay to be 10 and order from that section. It's a matter of being respectful. Anyhow, the food may be more appealing to him and I have a feeling that the waiter is going to be sympathetic and let him order what he wants. And a kid having the manners to ask permission for something? Shoot, I bet the server will be thrilled with his respectfulness!

("right" lies are ones with good motives, where you are gracious and say things out of respect or kindness. "Thank you grandma, I love the dinosaur sweater" ~ said the 14-year old boy.) :goodvibes

Our older son is 10, but at five feet tall, there's no way I could pass him off as 9! :eek:

I think it puts a burden on your son - what if a CM asks him how old he is, and he's forced to lie?

I just grit my teeth when I think of the adult pricing for kids... :mad::sad2:

Our older son is 10, but at five feet tall, there's no way I could pass him off as 9! :eek:

I think it puts a burden on your son - what if a CM asks him how old he is, and he's forced to lie?

I just grit my teeth when I think of the adult pricing for kids... :mad::sad2:

Well... but it's not paying the adult pricing for kids. It's paying the adult price for anyone 10 and over (which Disney deems an adult). I understand what you are saying :goodvibes I'm just trying to help with the mindset.

- Dreams

Well... but it's not paying the adult pricing for kids. It's paying the adult price for anyone 10 and over (which Disney deems an adult). I understand what you are saying :goodvibes I'm just trying to help with the mindset.

- Dreams

Not quite sure I understand - anyone 10-15 is a kid; 16-18 is debatable, since they can drive and vote.

By having the age restriction of 3-9, DL is forcing us to pay adult prices for kids. Simple as that.

Not quite sure I understand - anyone 10-15 is a kid; 16-18 is debatable, since they can drive and vote.

By having the age restriction of 3-9, DL is forcing us to pay adult prices for kids. Simple as that.

At Disneyland, 9 and under is consider a child. 10 and above is not.

Under 10 can wear costumes in the Park. 10 and above cannot.
Under 10 can use enter on a child's ticket. 10 and above cannot.
Under 10 at character meals pays child's price. 10 and above does not.

Park-wide, under 9 is a child, 10 and over is not.

Money aside, I do think it is sad that Disney (of all places!!) considers a ten year old to be an adult and limits such things as wearing costumes. :( Many ten year olds are only in 4th grade (some in 3rd!) and that still is so young in my mind.

The word "adult" seems to be the root of the negative feelings here. I'm pretty sure they put the mark at 10 years because that's probably when they feel the kids have matured enough to begin experiencing Disney more completely than a 3-9 kid. Just like 3-9 kids have a fuller experience than the 0-2 crowd (who get in for free and have even cheaper dining options).

In fact, when you look at the ticket pricing page, you'll see that they don't use child/adult terminology at all. They say "Ages 3 to 9" and "Ages 10 & Up".

The cutoff for kids' prices just about everywhere has nothing to do with the legal definition of the child/adult cutoff. It has to do with the age at which the visitor is able to realize the maximum amount of enjoyment/entertainment/service. If I'm buying movie tickets, the cutoff for child prices is 11. At the county fair, it's 12. At Knott's, it's 11. At Magic Mountain, it's 48 inches.

If there's nothing on the adult menu that a kid wants, the server probably isn't going to get bent out of shape if the kid asks to order off the "3 to 9" menu. But don't be sneaky about it and make the kid lie about their age. Like I said earlier, I've been that kid and it sucks. The CM will know the kid's lying and the kid will know it's a lie and everyone's uncomfortable.

Money aside, I do think it is sad that Disney (of all places!!) considers a ten year old to be an adult and limits such things as wearing costumes. :( Many ten year olds are only in 4th grade (some in 3rd!) and that still is so young in my mind.

Wow, is that true? I was 10 when I started 6th grade (although not for long, since I have a September birthday).

I agree that you shouldn't make the child lie. I can't remember the specifics now, but I do remember my mom telling me to lie about my age at restaurants or movies a few times and I got very anxious about it at the door, afraid we'd be "discovered".

I also agree that it's not necessary based on age as much as it is on how tall you are/how many rides you can go on, or in the case of meals, how much you will eat.

Just do the right thing ;)

Asking your child to compromise their integrity, further advocating such, is not worth the money you will save. Everyone is in the same boat as far as pricing goes, it's a set standard. As far as I'm concerned if you're unhappy with the cost or unable to meet it, no one is forcing you to attend and there are many other dining options.

Wow, is that true? I was 10 when I started 6th grade (although not for long, since I have a September birthday).

Yes, my daughter will turn 7 in first grade this year. She will turn 10 in the middle of 4th grade.

To me that is so young to be told she can't wear a costume in the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter