Children won't share a bed.. ideas?

Why can't your DH sleep with your DS, and you sleep with your DD? Girls bed, boys bed....its how my family has always slept in a hotel room.

Thats how we usually end up doing it on vacation as well - at least until they fell asleep then wed change. Then there was last year when they both had a bunkbeds - they loved that.

I say they are kids and we are the bosses - if they dont like it they can stay at grandmas and grandpas - lol - that never works though.

Hey folks, go back to Post #8. The daughter apologized to mom and said she was just being grumpy and said she would sleep with her brother.

Simple solution: You can sleep with your daughter, and your hubby can sleep with your son. That's the way it worked in my family growing up, and it worked for us.

Hard-nosed solution: Your the parent, tell your daughter that she is sleeping with her brother no ands, ifs, or buts; and absolutely no back-talk. Tell her to live with it. Use your power and authority :thumbsup2

Stay at CSR and either rent a cot or bring an air mattress.

vra5ia.jpg

The air mattress would also fit by the door.

As I finished typing my last response she came in with an "I'm sorry mom.. I'm just grumpy. Sharing is fine"
And you're right.. after a full day at the parks it won't be an issue.
Maybe I'll bring the air matress so I don't have to sleep with any of them:rotfl2:

Now your onto something:lmao:
Kerri

We have taken an air mattress several times. It is a single sized Coleman and I think it cost about $10 (it has been about 4 or 5 years since I purchased it) Buy one and take it with you - you can always return it when you get back home if you get there and find you don't use it.. (Much easier than listening to a tired child complain late at night)

Not to add further complications to this - since the OP has mentioned that the daughter is now okay with the situation - looking at the first post, it appears that they are going during Value Season (judging by the ticker in the sig line)

If they are already staying at CSR, for only $25-35 more per night, another option would be the Family Suites at ASMu.

There are, of course, benefits and drawbacks to this.

Drawbacks:
  1. Food court quality - at CSR you get the Pepper Market - rated highly - the food court at ASMu is okay - but not as good (judging by reviews)
  2. No TS restaurant at the All-Stars - although if most of your TS dining is in the parks or other resorts, this isn't a major issue
  3. The pool area is definitely nicer and more interesting in terms of theming at CSR - but unless the kids are really concerned about having a waterslide, the pools at ASMu are fairly large and still good for a swim
  4. General appearance of the resort - CSR, being a moderate, will simply look more upscale than ASMu - definitely in terms of the grounds, even if it is still an "outside" room access like the All-Stars.
Benefits:
  1. The Family Suite will give you TWO bathrooms - which may be ideal with kids of the age you mention
  2. Overall space - you will have about 314 sq. ft. at CSR - the Family Suite is 520 sq. ft.
  3. You will get a kitchenette with fridge, coffee maker and microwave - although you get the fridge and coffee maker at CSR, the microwave is a nice addition and allows for quick and inexpensive breakfasts in the room - possibly allowing for a quick departure in the mornings to get to the parks.
  4. Each child can have their own bed - leave the couch as is, and simply open up the chair and ottoman as beds. With their support system, there are no metal bars and are considered very comfortable for kids - no worse than an airbed, and better than cots.
  5. TWO televisions - one in the family room area with pull-out beds and one in the separate bedroom - TV's might not be an issue, but it's good to mention anyway
  6. The separate bedroom for the adults - gives the two of you a little privacy and the bed in there is a QUEEN as opposed to the double at CSR.
I'm sure that there might be other benefits and/or drawbacks specific to your family that I can't think of - but these are the basics that would likely apply in general.

We haven't personally stayed at the Family Suite yet - this year will be our first time - but looking at all the pics and reviews, we knew we wanted to if we ever got the chance.

We were also tempted to book CSR at one point - we haven't stayed there before either - and we liked the pics and reviews of that resort too - but for our family (Me, wife, son (8) and daughter (4)) - the extra space and privacy beat out the theming and pools. Most of our dining will be in-park too - so the restaurants weren't an issue either. It cost more than a mod - but that was something we were willing to do.

As an FYI, there have been some other threads of people asking whether the Family Suites were still available for this summer/fall value season during Free Dining. While the first week of Free Dining doesn't seem to have any Family Suites available - judging by your ticker, it looks like you will be there for the second last (or so) week, and when I checked a couple of days ago for the other thread, Family Suites came up as an option.

So, if you are booked for Free Dining, and would consider the Family Suite, you might be able to do so.

As I mentioned, I realize your daughter has had a change of heart - but I thought I would mention this in case it was something that sounded appealing.

Have a great trip!

You could just tell her that you will miss her on this trip. ;)

Either do the girls bed/boys bed. Or get the air mattress and let her sleep on it. You should have room at CSR to put a twin sized air mattress on the floor. Since she made the decision not to share beds, he should get the first choice on where to sleep. Or you get the bed by yourself and dad and son get to share a bed.

Or play musical beds for the entire trip.

This is what I do with my kids, the one not willing to share sleeps on the air mattress!

Personally I would veto ANY sleeping arrangement that did not include me sleeping with DW. My father felt the same way. My parents ALWAYS slept together. I would let the child who did not want to share be the one to sleep on the floor. (We are not making you sleep on the floor, but you may choose to.)

I think that going to WDW is special enough - after all she is the daughter (just the princess) and her mom is the boss (the QUEEN of the family).

Agreed. Thanking her for her apologizing and her maturity is all I'd do. Kids don't need to be rewarded for everything they do. I have two boys who wouldn't sleep in the same bed after they were 8 or so. The solution, the one who didnt' want to share the bed got to sleep on the floor in a sleeping bag. It was always my youngest one that had the choice to make because my oldest really didnt' care. After they hit 14-15 we started getting two rooms or a room with two beds and a pull out sofa because I thought that was a little old to make them share a double bed. DH and I never slept apart to accomodate the kids. Their backs can handle a cot or sleeping bag a heck of a lot better than adults.

Simple solution: You can sleep with your daughter, and your hubby can sleep with your son. That's the way it worked in my family growing up, and it worked for us.

Hard-nosed solution: Your the parent, tell your daughter that she is sleeping with her brother no ands, ifs, or buts; and absolutely no back-talk. Tell her to live with it. Use your power and authority :thumbsup2

The minute my kids start complaining about the accommodations, we'll stop going!:mad:
It's a PRIVILEGE to be able to get to go.

We are staying at a Value coming up. My hubby and I are large. We don't do Double Beds well, at least not together. One of our kids is adult sized normal, and the other is child sized normal.

We have done the single roll away, and switched the young one between beds with my hubby and I. We always have a hard fight about who gets the rollaway. The little one always wants it instead of sleeping with us.

This time we are being proactive. We have bought TWO cots. They are about 2 feet wide, and 6 feet long. We have explained that they each get one. The older is always ok, but I can see the younger one finding something to complain about - such as WHERE the cot is that she gets. UGH.

We plan on putting one either between the beds or along the wall where the window is. The other we will scoot the table over somehow and put it there. Or put one between the beds and the other by the window. Whatever allows me to get up in the middle of the night.

What is funny, the little one, when she was 2-4 years old loved for us to put up a "bed" in a closet area and she would sleep in the closets of hotel rooms. :rotfl2: We had a few strange looks from maids, but that was even when there were way more than enough beds. She just liked having her "own room".

Agreed. Thanking her for her apologizing and her maturity is all I'd do.

Though I am sure the OP has done this, I would definitely thank her for being mature.

I'm 28 and if I meant going to Disney I'd happily sleep with my 23 yo brother.

(that didn't sound right, did it? :lmao: )

WE always packed a twin size Aero bed. It just made less headaches. The kids are used to sleeping alone at home and are usually overtired when we go to WDW so to guarantee a good nights sleep for all it's worth it to have the extra bed.
Even when we went last trip with our DS (13) and DD (25) we took along the Aero bed for DS, no way I am sleeping with my DD she snores and hogs the bed:rotfl2:

Hope you have a peaceful trip..

Bev

Grrrrr.....:headache:
We have been planning this trip for almost a year now. DD will be 11 when we go .. ds will be 4.
There has been no complaint up until now about sharing a bed with her little brother. However tonight she decided to get really annoyed about it.

See my tag for my comment on a similar issue someone had. :rotfl:

Though I am sure the OP has done this, I would definitely thank her for being mature.

I'm 28 and if I meant going to Disney I'd happily sleep with my 23 yo brother.

(that didn't sound right, did it? :lmao: )

Eww. That does sound weird. I dont' have a brother, but I wouldn't share a bed with my sister now either.:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter