Children with disabilities question

moxiecola

Mouseketeer
We just moved to Florida 4 days ago and we are going to Disney for the day tomorrow. I have 2 kids, age 15 & 9, with autism/ADHD that have a hard time waiting in lines and will meltdown or try to leave if the wait is too long. I haven't been to Disney in 15 years. I remember the GAC had been available back then but never had a need for it. My kids are fairly high functioning and look "normal" but something like this can set them off and ruin the day for everyone. What do I do? Will we qualify for the new pass if requested? I've never done this before and my kids have never been to Disney or a park this size but they do have trouble in smaller parks where there is a wait (and we usually just avoid all the rides because of this). I fear this could turn into a disaster.

The new pass is the DAS it allows you to wait the time you would be in line out of the line ( -10) minutes). You will need to go to GR and explain your child’s need as it has to do with waiting in line ( they do not care about DX) Here is the thread on the DAS ( only read post one as the other are after the DAS started). Just because you have the DAS does not mean you have to use it but you can if you need to.

also depending on what park they have guest experience both that can give you a return time for any ride in the park ( link is in my signature)

you really left it too late to get any practical advice since your trip is today. you must be able to explain the Castmember WHY the kid(s) cannot wait in a standard line. do not use any buzz words like ADHD or the Spectrum. simply explain what happens if they are in a line too long. how long IS too long, anyway?

that being said: the DAS will NOT eliminate waiting in lines completely. when you go through the FP line it can still be a ten minute or longer wait. it also will not work at restaurants, or most attractions without a FP line. which of the 4 parks are you going to? I'd completely avoid Galaxy's edge altogether.

will they have anything to keep them distracted or occupied while in line? what sets them off? would noise canceling headphones help?

"Pass" is probably not the best term to use, as it implies a level of degree of service which the DAS doesn't address. Maybe solution? Or response?
I will use pass as my spelling is to bad and it is easer for me to use pass

Not that it matters, but Disney uses DAS card.

OP - I hope you had a great time today!

"Pass" is probably not the best term to use, as it implies a level of degree of service which the DAS doesn't address. Maybe solution? Or response?

Disney guest Relations CMs refer to it as a pass pretty often. It's the Disability Access Service Card, technically, but since it is digital now, they call it a pass for the most part.

Disney guest Relations CMs refer to it as a pass pretty often. It's the Disability Access Service Card, technically, but since it is digital now, they call it a pass for the most part.
Yep I hear this all the time too

Disney is super crowded in comparison to 15 years ago. If you are experiencing concern over waiting in 30 minute lines, they might not be able to wait in line for Security LOL
local, smaller amusement parks with a short line are nothing compared to WDW where wait times can spike up to 3 hours for more popular rides.
Get your FP+ and learn to use the system effectively.
And yes, focus on explaining what happens when they stand in line "too long", whatever that is, for them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter