Children with a disability....

Jerdoctor

Earning My Ears
Hello, I have a child with 22q11 deletion syndrome. Basically this means part of his 22nd chromosome is missing.

He has issues with heat and standing for long periods of time. He is now tall enough to go on some of the "bigger" rides, but I'm afraid he won't be able to because of the lines and such. Does Disney offer "line passes" or something to that effect, and how would I go about that?

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup2

I haven't ever heard of passes but it certainly would be worth a call to Disney. Would it help to have a wheelchair for when he gets tired?

See thats the problem here.. He can walk all day like a normal 6 year old kid, but its when we are standing still is when his legs stiffen up...

Thank you though! :thumbsup2

your best place to get answers to your question(s) would be over on the DISability board... i believe the "line passes" you are inquiring about is called a "Guest Assistance Pass" and allows a separate entrance/waiting area for guests such as your son...

hope that helps :flower:

This board does rock. I have found support, new friends, help and smiles. The other folks truly understand the problems we face rather than just nodding, they really know! You can yell, scream, laugh, cry and care. It is a wonderful place to find others with like problems and the same dreams.

Good luck with you DS at WDW and the GAC.

April :Pinkbounc

The guest assistance card doesn't allow you front of the line access, and can actually make for a longer wait. They allow you to wait in a shaded area, or a queue that's wheelchair friendly or doesn't have stairs.

WDW doesn't offer front of the line or no-waiting access for anyone. Yuor best bet is to travel during a very off-season such as the second or third weeks of January or September, when many raides are "walk-on."

Utilize "Fast Pass" as much as possible to minimize waits.

He could also walk in place on the rides that don't offer a seperate line or fast pass.

Anne

While the GAC (Guest Assitance Card) doesn't allow front of line access (the only cards that do are for children on Wish trips) and it isn't meant to shorten or eliminate waits in line, but it does provide accomidation for people who need accomidation.
If you have any questions after reading the GAC information in the FAQs thread, go right ahead and ask.

Fastpass is a big help (as was already mentioned - click here for information about Fastpass). You can send the most energetic person in your party ahead to get Fastpasses. Also, some attractions are busy in the morning, but get much quieter as the day goes on. For example, Spaceship Earth at Epcot is very busy when the park opens - people see the line and think they better get in line before it gets any busier. If you wait until afternoon, you are often able to walk right on. The same thing happens at AK - that park is busy in the morning, but (at least in our experience), by 3pm, it's much. much quieter.
Another thing to remember is that if you can get there when the parks first open, it's usually not as busy. The busier time is usually after 10am or so. That means that for many rides, you can go on in the morning with very little wait (and maybe get a Fastpass for later so you can go on again later in the day).
Also, some of the Guidebooks or things like Tourguide Mike have very good touring plans based on knowing what is busy when.

Another thing to think about is getting a "Stroller as wheelchair" sticker. If you rented a WDW stroller (very big, doubles are even bigger) he could sit in that while waiting in line, with the cover on him for shade. If you combined that with a good touring plan (I love Tourguidemike myself), getting there early and fastpass you might be set

You didn't say if you are staying on property, but if you are, I would recommend looking at the Extra Magic evenings and consider trying them. I was in WDW in May, and was able to see a lot of the parks in the evenings. It involves staying out late, but there are fewer guests and shorter lines at that time. Not all the rides are open for the evening hours, but quite a few of them are.

Well, we are stying on site... We have POR booked, but are wavering towards CSR and a SLIGHT chance we'll do the WL.

I was talking to a friend that has a child who is autisitic and she said they ended up at the front of the line with this card almost every ride they went on. She said they finished each park in about 4 hours and went back to the hotel to swim and relax. I'm guessing because this was a slow time? Who knows...

We have been to Disney World 4 times and have gotten a GAC for our DS who is autistic and has epilepsy. We have traveled at the off season each time because he can't handle the heat and the crowds. We have been fortunate enough to get a GAC that we were either able to use as a fastpass or board a ride at the handicap entrance. If we went on rides where the line was short we got on the regular line, going during the off season does help. We also rent a car so we don't have to deal with the crowds or heat while waiting on the bus line or a crowded bus sometimes without a seat available. We also take mid-day breaks back to the hotel pool to cool off and get refreshed. My DS also tends to get tired due to his seizure meds so my DH and sometimes split up and one of us stay in the hotel room with hime and rest up while the other one goes back to the park with our other DS for fireworks. I'm thankful DW has these GAC's I hear DL does'nt. We could'nt make the trip without it.

winniethepoohsmom said:
I'm thankful DW has these GAC's I hear DL does'nt. We could'nt make the trip without it.
DL has the same type of Guest Assistance Cards as WDW has.

They are based on the needs of the person with a disability. The disABILITIES FAQs thread has a pretty good explanation of how the GAC works. Exactly how the GAC works depends on how busy it is and how many CMs are working on the attraction. For a GAC that allows alternate entrances, it may be the Fastpass line; it may be the wheelchair entrance (for the few attractions that have on)l it may be getting kind of a handwritten fastpass.
You may not need a GAC at all during slow times or if you come when it isn't busy - for example, in the late afternoon, Kali River Rapids and the Safari at AK are often so slow that people in the regular line are getting on pretty much as fast as they can walk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter