• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Children Walking or Riding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well honestly on the Dis 'good parenting' is pushing your able bodied child around until they are in their tweens ;)

I consider 'tweens' to be 10-12, in which case, I agree with you. But the age group being discussed as 'too old' for a stroller in this thread was much younger than that.

it's not normal for a 4+yr old to be in a stroller outside of WDW.
It's not normal for a 4+ year old (or anyone really) to be in a hot, crowded park walking so much (8 or so miles a day) outside of WDW a day either. The walking/heat involved w/ a trip to Disney is not even comparable to that 'back home.'

And as far as 'should there be an age limit,' who has a right to decide that for other parents/children? IMO, that should be left up to them to decide, or for Disney to put a limit in place, not something to be decided by other parents. If anyone feels there is an appropriate age when a stroller is no longer an option for their kids, then by all means, put your foot down and make that decision, but don't expect others to do as you do.

And no offense taken--I took you comment to be completely 'general' and your opinion on the subject, as are my comments. :)

This debate is also the nap vs no-nap.

My DD's stopped taking naps by the age of 1. The younger one will fall asleep occasionally but there is no way my overactive older one would but I followed the "you have to do this" rule and killed two afternoons in my room with the two of them literally bouncing on the bed but no napping.

I think your park style plays into whether you need a stroller. If you are a fast walking commando that spends the entire day in the park (no nap) then the stroller is perfect for moving much quicker then a ambling distracted overwhelmed 5 yr old. However, if your just taking in the sights and don't care that your children are walking into people you go for having them walk.

Also, not everyone goes to the parks every day for 10 days. If you lying around the pool and resting you're kids might keep up but my style exhausts adults.

Last year when we went, my oldest son was 5 and would not have been caught dead in a stroller. He walked the whole time. We did of course take breaks throughout the day. My daughter was 3 and she did go in the stroller, as well as our then 9 month old.

:thumbsup2
Thank you for being a responsible parent.

My parents took me (then 10) and my brother (then 12) to WDW way back in the 80's. Neither of us were in strollers :wizard: :rolleyes: 20+ years later they are still responsible parents :goodvibes

To the OP, I would say that 4 or 5 is the age limit. Beyond that parents should tour the parks at their children's pace, and those children with disabilities should be in a wheelchair-not a stroller.

popcorn::

Well, we have 3 children, 2 of whom can far outlast my youngest (7). Who's pace should we tour at? :confused3 I've found that we can all have a much more enjoyable vacation if she can hop in the stroller and ride when she gets tired instead of slowing everyone down. We've found that this is what works for our family.

Also, my 10 year old has sever's disease. She will probably be fine 90% of the time, but chances are it's going to flare up occasionally during the trip so we will have the stoller if she needs it (although she swears she'll be fine and will not ride in a stroller, but we shall see). I'm sure people will stare, but she is a competitive gymnast and far from lazy. Ironically, the reason she may need the stroller is BECAUSE she is so active.

I can't understand why people care so much about things that don't affect them. :confused3

I think the "wouldn't be caught dead" comments interesting.

My DD's wouldn't be caught dead giving me an attitude. If they're told to go into the stroller because it is in their best interest there is no way I'd let a 5yr tell me what I can or can't do. Who's the parent?

ds1 (3) doesnt use a stroller at home but at disney it is an essential. He is not used to the heat and humidity of orlando coming from the UK and though he is normally a little ball of energy running around from morning to night at disney the heat just saps that energy away, without a stroller he would ask to be carried which then ends up with a hot sticky child and adult, not a nice combo.

I think do whatever is best for your child and family, all children react differently to enviroments and stimuli and only you know how your child is going to react and cope.

EltonJohn wrote:Thank you for being a responsible parent.

My parents took me (then 10) and my brother (then 12) to WDW way back in the 80's. Neither of us were in strollers 20+ years later they are still responsible parents

To the OP, I would say that 4 or 5 is the age limit. Beyond that parents should tour the parks at their children's pace, and those children with disabilities should be in a wheelchair-not a stroller.

Perhaps you didn't mean to be offensive with this statement but you most certainly were. My child is not disabled but she does have medical conditions that will make it difficult for her to enjoy WDW in the same way as other kids her age. To put her in a wheelchair would be ridiculous! Do you even care that if everyone followed your suggestion many young children would feel further ostracized from a society that doesn't quite 'get' them? But if you're only concerned about your own convenience, as your post suggests, maybe you haven't considered that wheelchairs are larger and more difficult to maneuver than strollers. Which means more people are likely to be bumped into.

To everyone upset that older children are in strollers:
I truly cannot understand why so many people are worried about how other families at the parks are handling their children. Don't you have many, many magical things to be doing? Must you complain even while visiting the happiest place on earth? How does some stranger's child being in a stroller ruin your vacation? Why do you let it ruin your vacation?:sad2:

I can't understand why people care so much about things that don't affect them. :confused3

My DD's wouldn't be caught dead giving me an attitude. If they're told to go into the stroller because it is in their best interest there is no way I'd let a 5yr tell me what I can or can't do. Who's the parent?

:worship: Thank you!

I think do whatever is best for your child and family, all children react differently to enviroments and stimuli and only you know how your child is going to react and cope.

To everyone upset that older children are in strollers:
I truly cannot understand why so many people are worried about how other families at the parks are handling their children. Don't you have many, many magical things to be doing? Must you complain even while visiting the happiest place on earth? How does some stranger's child being in a stroller ruin your vacation? Why do you let it ruin your vacation?:sad2:

Thank goodness I'm not alone!:banana:

On our last trip our youngest DD was 6, and she was in the stroller all week long. We hadn't planned on getting her one until we arrived, and realized that it was going to make for a much more pleasant week for us AND all the other WDW visitors.

I think she would have been hot, tired and cranky even with breaks, if she would have had to walk all day. I think my oldest DD who was 10 at the time, wished she could have fit in it also ;)

P.S. to the poster that thinks putting kids in strollers makes them lazy.....my "stroller riding daughter" is also the 400m state winner. She is a track/soccer/tumbling fanatic. Loves Volleyball and baseball, has video games that she never plays, and yet knew she needed to rest her legs and feet during our Wonderful Disney Vacation.

I guess it just depends on the child. When my dd was 7, it didnt even occur to me to bring a stroller, or rent one.. she walked the entire time, all day and did fine. My ds who is now 4, well, I definately foresee having him in one when we go back in Feb. when he is 5, he could not walk all day. So I think it just depends.. to each his own, it doesnt bother me, but I have to admit, I was a little surprised on our trip, when I was waiting for dd and dh to get off R&RC and was waiting with my boys, next to a man with a graco stroller- it was turned around and I just assumed there was a baby in it. after a few, a boy comes running over to him , and he looked about at least 10 or so (he was at least the size of my dd11) he came yelling "that was awesome!"(talking about R&RC) then hopped in the stroller and they walked away!

The thing is, not all children are equal. Period. Whether there is a visible disability, an unseen medical reason, or just a plain, tired and cranky kid. Parents choose to do what is best for the ENTIRE group. I am the parent. I have the last word in our family. But in no means, do I EVER discount my children.

I think it is fantastic to the parents that can get all their kids on the same page. PLEASE, tell me how you do that. My life would be so much easier; going out to eat can be so much drama in our family. Seriously, how do you do that? In our family, while all my monkeys are active (my mom would say that is an understatement—they are pistols), my kids have widely different personalities. DS7 gave up naps at 2 and DS2 is currently giving up naps at 2, but DS4 is so attached to a two hour nap in the day even the preschool is trying to help me break him of it. They recognize that it will take all of pre-k to get him off the nap and ready for K. DS7 goes to bed early and rises early. DS2 goes to bed late and rises early. DS 4 stays up semi-late and sleeps in (compared to the other two). DS4 still doesn’t sleep through the night. DS7 hates pizza, DS2 LOVES pizza, and DS4 loves pizza, but is allergic to dairy. DS7 plays football, basketball & baseball in constant rotation. DS4 can keep up with his brother in any of those sports (who is very good), but prefers gymnastics and karate. DS7 has a ton of friends who are girls; DS4 thinks girls are yucky. And he does gymnastics—the only boy; of course, he leaves those girls in the dust, except with the splits.

My very long point is, I’d have two that need to keep going while one needs a break, and it is a constant rotation. Do we not get to do anything during vacation? Do I let any one child run the show? Not in our family. If I can give the child who needs a break keeping him happy and keep the rest of the family happy too, why wouldn’t I? Why shouldn’t we all have a great vacation?

One of the reasons we do that is when DH and I were there, we’d see kids running to keep up with parents. One look at those little faces and you could see total and utter exhaustion on their faces. No wonder there are so many kids who don’t enjoy the vacation, have the resort pool as their favorite thing, or are having major melt downs. And then we’d hear parents threaten the kids with a stroller. This horrified the kids, but had it been presented differently, DH and I thought they’d be jumping on it. Of course, that is not the case with all kids, but we vowed if our kids were ever that way, give them a break and don’t make a stroller taboo.

We are majorly active (DH could have had college scholarships in more than one sport; it’s where the kids get it) and I’m not exactly a slouch. My kids eat constantly and are NOT obese; their pediatrician would actually like to see them put on weight. DS7 would give up a cookie in place of an orange/apple/carrots/broccoli any day. Our biggest problem at WDW is that there are not enough healthy food options; my kids don’t eat a lot of junk—they HATE fast food. My kids are very, very active (see my previous post), but WDW is different. It’s 10 days of constantly being on your feet. And the heat. We live off the gulf and it’s in the mid-nineties today (94 predicted, and it’s not a record), but FL is different, it’s water on both sides. I kind of think that maybe it is the more active children that want in the strollers. They have learned when their bodies need breaks and the consequences for not listening to their bodies. If my 7 year old wants in the stroller for a while, that’s fine with me, even with him being as tall as most 9-10 year olds. I need the work of the weight on my arms anyhow. Do I offer him a stroller? No, but if he asks and I know that it will solve problems…

The other thing that really surprises me is how many people are constantly getting rammed with strollers. I’ve rarely seen it. The people I do see getting hit with strollers are generally the people who are darting out in front of strollers. If you are “constantly” being hit, I’d take a step back and pay more attention. Sure, an accident can happen (and I know it does), but if it is happening to you a lot, well, you might be having a part in it. I have only done it once (OK, I have hit DH a few times, but those weren’t exactly accidental), and even the person I hit, kept reassuring me not only was it OK, but she saw that it was no where near my fault. Someone (at WDW) who wanted to get through the bottle neck on Main Street after the parade, shoved me to move me, despite the wall of people in front of me that I was waiting patiently for to move; they had tons of people in front of them. To be honest, at WDW, I have been shoved, pushed and slammed many times in the crowds or on the boats, and it was NEVER by someone with a stroller. The time on the boat I was 6 months pregnant and the man shoved me saying “I can’t get around you!” Yeah, maybe because I’m standing in the corner? Did he want me to jump overboard?

I also agree with the pp who said something about kids wandering around. Last December DH and I directed no less than 4 small children back to their parents because they were wandering off. One set of parents didn’t even have a clue. And, NO, that is not all kids, but some of those kids should be in a stroller.

The first time we went, youngest son was only about one month past his 4th birthday. I didn't want to be saddled with a stroller so we didn't get one, figuring we could always rent one if we needed. He did great. Only one day do I remember him complaining about walking at the end of a very long day at MK. We are a pretty active family and I've always taken my boys for walks, bike rides, etc. ever since they were very little. I'm sure it depends on the child. You know your child better than anyone.

I don't see why its any one elses business what other people are doing. Mind your own business and your own family and let other people do as they see fit.

My DDs will be 7 and 4 when we visit WDW. They will be riding as much or as little as they want. But at least they will have the option. Both are small for their ages. My 7 year old weighs 36 lbs and 44" tall. My 4 year old weighs 28 lbs and is 38" tall. They are both very healthy, just small. Both are very active and take dance, gymnastics and play outside everyday. But I realize that they are going to get tired. I know they wont get as much sleep due to staying in the parks later and the added excitement. I would rather have a happy, rested kid, than a miserable, tired kid. I walk 5 miles a day and my DH runs 10 miles a day and we both realize that we will be tired each day of our trip. The excessive walking and standing, added to the heat and stress of trying to keep up with 2 kids would make anyone tired. I purchased a jogging stroller from my neighbor for $75. It was hardly used. This will probably the one and only time I use it but at least it is cheaper than renting and I will have for the walk from the monorail stop to our room at Poly.

The other thing that really surprises me is how many people are constantly getting rammed with strollers. I’ve rarely seen it. The people I do see getting hit with strollers are generally the people who are darting out in front of strollers. If you are “constantly” being hit, I’d take a step back and pay more attention. Sure, an accident can happen (and I know it does), but if it is happening to you a lot, well, you might be having a part in it.
I also agree with the pp who said something about kids wandering around. Last December SH and I directed no less than 4 small children back to their parents because they were wandering off. One set of parents didn’t even have a clue. And, NO, that is not all kids, but some of those kids should be in a stroller.

::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes::

One of my first trips years ago my arms hurt so bad not from pushing the stroller but from yanking it to a stop. I can't tell you how many times a smaller child steps in front of my stroller. I think to myself. Why are your parents letting you weave and wander all over the sidewalk?

One parent yelled at me because I collided (while walking) with his child who ran ahead then came to a complete dead stop. I didn't respond to him directly just lectured my DD loudly how I'd be mad if she did that, it is rude to stop, watch where she was going.

I think the "wouldn't be caught dead" comments interesting.

For one thing, I wouldn't force him to get into a stroller. The kid is perfectly capable of walking. My kids don't give me attitude either. Did I say in any way that he gave me attitude???????? NO! I didn't. So get off your high horse thinking your so much better of a parent than I am. :sad2: :mad:

oh, and let me add, I don't care who is putting their kids in strollers or how old their kid is. People are going to do what is best for their families and that is great.

We brought a stroller for my youngest DD until she was almost 7. It was just an inexpensive umbrella type stroller bought and used solely for WDW trips. She was beyond the weight limit for it but that el cheapo stroller made it through 5 weeklong WDW trips (the wheels fell off toward the end of trip #6, a couple weeks before DD's 7th birthday). She didn't ride in it all the time, but she used it enough that it was worth bringing to the parks. She also would nap in it; it didn't look like a comfy spot to nap, but it worked for her. It was great for putting stuff in, also. FWIW, she hadn't used a stroller at home since she was a year old - strollers for her were strictly a Disney thing.

Obviously this is a touchy subject, but it doesn't have to be. It is possible to post what your family does and why without using the words---responsible parent, good parent, lazy parent, irresponsible parent, etc.

People come here to ask legitimate questions and get answers, and that is what we should give them instead of attacking one another directly or by using derrogatory generalizations.

I think it is great that some kids can hack it all day at WDW, some just can't. Again it a family decision, decide what is best for yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter