Children of fallen military have chance for trip

thmar

DIS Veteran
I did a search but did not find this posted yet...if it has already been posted please forgive my repost...

Children of servicemembers killed since Sept. 11 have until Wednesday to try to get on board the Snowball Express - destination Disneyland, with a couple of fun stops along the way.
The M. Scott Kerr Foundation is sponsoring the Snowball Express in conjunction with Rotary Clubs of Costa Mesa, Calif., and other major contributors. He set up the foundation to help alleviate any disparity between military benefits and the actual costs of day-to-day living, said Michael Kerr, founder of Snowball Express.

Designed to let the children know their sacrifices aren't forgotten, the Dec. 15-17 event is free to participants. "They don't pay one penny," Mr. Kerr said. "They've already paid everything they need to pay to this country."

"They did not have to die in combat," Mr. Kerr said. "Any death either prior to deployment, or not, qualifies them to be included. They could have died stateside, overseas, training mission or likewise."

This holiday even for about 1,000 military children and their guardians is not full yet. So far, about 200 families are registered with 350 children. We have room for 500 families and 1,000 children so please spread the word," Mr. Kerr said.

"We're trying to get everybody registered by Nov. 15," he said. When the group arrives in Orange County, Calif., they'll be treated to dinner and a viewing of "The Glory of Christmas," Kerr said. The non-denominational production will take place at the Crystal Cathedral, home base for an international ministry.

"They will be given an enormous amount of gifts at this event, too" he said.

Those items will be combined with what's donated to Snowball Express through toy drives, Mr. Kerr said. These gifts will be shipped directly to the children's homes.

"On Sunday, they go to Disneyland," Mr. Kerr said.

The Snowball Express was created by Mr. Kerr in Phoenix in 1997 to put a little holiday cheer into the lives of homeless and at-risk children. The events of Sept. 11 had curtailed the program.

"When I came ... out here to Orange County (Calif.) to actually marry my high school sweetheart, we were driving down one day by Camp Pendleton," he said. "I was telling her that I wanted to bring this event to Orange County, but I didn't really know what groups I could reach out to."

As it turned out, the answer was right in front of them.

"She pointed over at the base, and she said, 'I bet you could find a few kids over there,'" he said. "It snowballed from there, no pun intended."

Mickey News Note - Please visit their web site at www.snowballexpress.org to find out more or to give to this amazing Organization!

Ahh, that must the the private party i was hearing about...

such a wondering foundation to let them go to disneyland for free...

Thank you for posting the website. I just found the perfect charity for donations this season because it includes my favorites - military families, children and Disneyland.

Tink33 said:
Thank you for posting the website. I just found the perfect charity for donations this season because it includes my favorites - military families, children and Disneyland.

Yes, I know...a great combination!! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter