Childern's activities ???

markm0926

Cast Member
Just wondering how the children's activities work on board ship.

Must you sign up your child once you board ?
Is it first come , first served, and does it fill up?
How long do they stay there?
Does it cost extra?

anything else I should know?

Tons of questions, I know.

Thanks in advance !!!!!

Hi markm0926 -

Yes, you want to sign your kids up for the club/lab soon after you board the ship -- only because it gets much more crowded during the first evening.

It does not fill up. If your kids are booked on the cruise there is enough space for them. It does not cost extra. The kids can stay there all day and throughout the evening until 1:00 AM!
They give you a pager when you check your kids in. They will page you if your child wants to leave the club/lab or if there is a problem. They will ask you for a password that they will use when you check your children out. The system seems to work pretty well.

Some kids love it and don't want to leave others can take it or leave it. Each child is different. They have lots of activites both Disney-related and not. They play sports, do crafts, play on the computers, etc.

Any more questions please ask!

Enjoy!

UMTerp

I have those same questions. Also, does it make me a "bad mommy" to hope that my DD (3) will want to spend ALOT of time there so that my DH & I can spend some time alone together? This is our first ever cruise in the 10 years we've been married & am very much looking forward to it, but wouldn't dream of not taking DD with us (that's why we picked Disney!). Can anyone else shed some light as to how much time their DS or DD (age 3 or 4) used the club? Thanks!

My DGD was 5 and she loved the clubs because she met a new friend at the Mickey Pool the first day and they did everything together. You may check you child in as soon as it opens and leave them as long as they will stay. We checked her out at dinner time so she could be with us at dinner and we kept her with us on Castaway Cay because they do not take them swimming. Just use your own judgement and enjoy!

Yes, the kids can stay in the club/lab at mealtimes. The CM's take them to topsiders to eat at a specific time (listed in the children's navigators). My kids did this when we went to champage brunch at Palo. Last year they ate dinner in the club when we went to Palo dinner. This year they went to our regular restaurant alone since they are a little older. Our servers took great care of them and then they returned to the stateroom to wait for us.

Krystina'sMommy - no, you are not a bad mom! That is what makes this cruise a great vacation for everyone! The kids get to do some fun activities and the parents get to spend some alone time to do whatever they want! My DD was 5 when we cruised the first time and liked spending time in the club. This year she wanted to spend most of her time in the pool so we didn't have as much free time. If your child is comfortable with daycare they will most likely enjoy the club.

Originally posted by Krystina'sMommy
I have those same questions. Also, does it make me a "bad mommy" to hope that my DD (3) will want to spend ALOT of time there so that my DH & I can spend some time alone together? This is our first ever cruise in the 10 years we've been married & am very much looking forward to it, but wouldn't dream of not taking DD with us (that's why we picked Disney!). Can anyone else shed some light as to how much time their DS or DD (age 3 or 4) used the club? Thanks!

Don't fell bad at all.
I was thinking/feeling the same way, but the kids will enjoy it and we adults will have some relaxation time also.
A Disney cruise is so perfect for this reason!!
A break from the kids and the kids having a break from us makes the trip that more fun.

Okay...while everyone is talking about the kids club...I too have a question or two...how muc time do the kids in the kids club get to spend outside? I really want my kids to enjoy the kids clubs and want to spend lots of time there but I also hate the thought of my kids being trapped inside all day..do they have the oppurtunity to get out in the kids club as a group??? And if they don't take them swimming on Castaway Cay...do they take them swimming on the ship on other days??

Thanks

Okay....just answered my own question by reading another post...no swimming with the kids club...:( bummer.

Not for the little ones - no swimming. (Most of us this think this is great, as the pools are too crowded and busy to trust someone else watching your kid - plus ten others - in the pool). I think the 10-12 set has a pool party. They are pretty much inside in the room (and the ship is pretty dark) except for mealtimes. Scuttle's Cove on CC is outside and they will get plenty of (maybe too much) sun there.

My four year old really enjoyed the club. Over our four day cruise she didn't spend that much time there - mostly evenings and a little bit during the day when we were on ship. Our five year old was less enthusistic - he willingly went to the club and enjoyed it when he was there, but he didn't beg to stay the way my daughter did when we'd pick her up.

In the evenings, they lay down mats and show Disney movies until the wee hours....

They do need to be potty trained - and that's completely self sufficient - no help with the "paperwork" or getting clothing off and on or needing to be reminded, etc. Some parents with kids that are "close" will make regular stops back for potty breaks, which will work fine if you child isn't accident prone if you stop regularly to help.

Older children have sign in sign out privledges. There is a middle bracket where you can grant them privledges or not. Can't remember the ages - my kids were definately still in the needing to be signed in and out by a parent age.

I did see the counselors take some of the older kids to the sports deck for some fun one day.

A suggestion for parents of the little ones. Don't send little girls in a one piece bathing suit. It is too hard for them to get off while using the restroom.

Denae

are the kids' clubs open while the ship is in port? can the kids stay in there if we choose not to go ashore? thanks.

On our last cruise DS didn't want to go to the club the first day. We didn't want to deal with the crowd to sign him up so we went the next day and did it.

clairesmom ~ Kids can stay at the club/lab when the ship is in port. Some parents leave their kids there when they go ashore. We haven't been to St. Maarten or St. Thomas yet so I want DS to go with us so he can see it too.

Kids in the clubs "occasionally" have activities on the sports deck but they're mainly inside. The CM's (including my DD) have at least 2 years experience working with kids and all of them really enjoy their jobs. You don't keep working 7 days a week, 10 hours a day for four months at a time if you don't like it. My DD is starting her second contract tomorrow and many of her friends are currently on their second or third contract.

If you leave your children in the Club or Lab while you go off the ship shopping or on a shore excursion be sure to tell the CMs that you're leaving the ship and when you'll be back so if your child asks for you they can set expectations appropriately.

As for the "bad mommy" idea, absolutely not. I always found that when my kids were younger, I was a BETTER mommy when I had some time to myself and they had some time away from me. Then when we were together, we all enjoyed ourselves more.

Krystina's mommy...be sure you present the club to your child as a treat. Something she "gets" to do. Also I recommend checking out the cruise meet for your trip to see if you can find others cruising with kids the same age that you could meet up with the first day and let your child can make a friend before she goes to the club. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions. I talk to DD once a week and can get answers then.

Thanks for the reassurance! I'm sure your DD (& the rest of them) really do love their jobs & have plenty of experience with kids. I am pretty sure my DD is going to LOVE it! We've already started telling her about all of the cool,fun things she's gonna "get" to do & she's excited.

:bounce: :Pinkbounc I'm so excited! We are now under the 100 day mark!:bounce: :Pinkbounc Can't wait!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter