Child vs Adult meal plan - date of purchase or date of trip

I think that's an unfair blanket statement. QSDP and DDP are undoubtedly bad deals for adults form a dollars and cents perspective, but they are actually pretty good deal for kids age 3-9. It's not hard to come out "ahead" for equal number of adults and children.

DxDP is flat out a good deal if it fits your dining style, adult or child.

There's the caveat, though, the chosen plan has to fit your style. if it doesn't, then you're going to be disappointed in the results, regardless of what the numbers say.

As to the original thread subject, age grouping is supposed to be based on age as of the date of arrival at the resort.

One thing that the DDP solves is that it allows me to order what I really want. There is no other way for me to just stop looking at prices, and the gift card thing is included in that. I dont have it this coming trip as my traveling companion has TIW, so we will see if I can just let go for the whole trip.

I think that for most people, the math is the key. All of it. Yes, you have to pay for tips, but you pay the tip anyway, and now you exclude the taxes on all covered food. And with the plan you can let the kids get their own dessert, or snack.

BUt these plans are not meant to save us money, although they can do that. They are meant to keep us onsite, only offered to resort guests, and meant to drive you to keep your money Disney money. That is why I always tell folks to look at menus first, and be very honest about their dining habits. You knwo your family, if they want TS meals and if they like the respite offered. For my family, we found that I underestimated my DH and know that when he is with us, DxDDP is the only way we can go.

2) However, if you pay by Room Charge or a gift card, it is just as convenient - and almost always less expensive.
. . . folks who do want to save money sometimes buy a advance pre-paid guest gift card before the trip
. . . they use this for the meals
. . . even more convenient that DDP, and a money-saver

I disagree with number 2 for a couple of reason in our particular case.

As someone with food allergies, I don't necessarily know what the price of my specialized meals are going to be at non-buffets. I've been charged everything from the kids price for an allergy friendly waffle to what was clearly a set price at Le Cellier no matter what had actually been ordered.
Additionally, we splurge in a way that we wouldn't if we weren't on the dining plan. There's less guilt ordering the steak over the pasta when you can't reallocate the funds elsewhere. Similarly, I love that I get dessert on the dining plan, but might feel guilty spending that money on a splurge (again not knowing the price giving the allergy special made element) if I did the gift card method.

I have run the numbers and with our eating habits and assuming I'm charged the average entree price it's at usually a break even maybe + or - $20 depending on where we use snack credits and how many people want steak v. chicken.

I disagree with number 2 for a couple of reason in our particular case.

As someone with food allergies, I don't necessarily know what the price of my specialized meals are going to be at non-buffets. I've been charged everything from the kids price for an allergy friendly waffle to what was clearly a set price at Le Cellier no matter what had actually been ordered.
Additionally, we splurge in a way that we wouldn't if we weren't on the dining plan. There's less guilt ordering the steak over the pasta when you can't reallocate the funds elsewhere. Similarly, I love that I get dessert on the dining plan, but might feel guilty spending that money on a splurge (again not knowing the price giving the allergy special made element) if I did the gift card method.

I have run the numbers and with our eating habits and assuming I'm charged the average entree price it's at usually a break even maybe + or - $20 depending on where we use snack credits and how many people want steak v. chicken.

This is where I fall in regards to the gift card method. I cannot get past the prices. Maybe one day, but after that, its a problem.

Now this works in reverse when my DH is with us. We do choose the plan when he is with us, and I tell him it's paid for!!!!! WHen he looks at the cost of a steak or whatever else he woudl choose. WE never lose money on the plan, but I do know what we will usually order and the cost of OOP to compare.

1) We hear that A LOT at the Concierge Desk.
. . . we frequently joke at The Desk that these same people want to pay as little Income Tax as possible
. . . or do not want to pay list price for a new car
. . . but do not mind over paying at Disney

It's no secret that you dislike the DDP. But I think it's rude that you admit to making fun of people for liking the convenience of the DDP, especially in direct response to someone who likes the DDP for this reason.

It's no secret that you dislike the DDP. But I think it's rude that you admit to making fun of people for liking the convenience of the DDP, especially in direct response to someone who likes the DDP for this reason.

I think that for Disney there is a learning curve for guests, and rather than disparaging those who either are learning or have found what works for them, it would be more productive to provide assistance when possible.

People make decisions that may or may not make financial sense to others, but are valid for their vacation styles. We do like the convenience of the plan, but as I said upthread, I know I do not do well paying OOP. Rather than fight with myself, I prefer to just pay for it upfront and enjoy my meals. From painful past experience, I know me and I know my family. I also know I do not lose money, and am wicked good at managing my vacation dining plan.

This is why many of us find it more helpful to suggest that people plan ahead, look at menus, and do the math. Once someone decides what is the best value, it is rude to ridicule their decision, and terribly unprofessional to share how some CM's disparage their guests, speculating how their financial decisions at home compare to their Disney purchases to these fictional comments.

Disney is not like any other destination. Many times peole elect to stay onsite and their dining is confined to onsite restaurants. No running to Hometown Buffet, Burger King, or Panera for a cheap meal. SO how do families manage their food budget while ensuring they are comfortable with the families choices? For many the DDP is the answer. For others the Gift Card works. I find that once folks get laughed at, or the customary kneejerk reactions to the DDP crop up, the conversation gets derailed. Its a shame IMO.

Agreed. Especially since s/he works at the Concierge desk and admits to making fun of guests.

Convenience is worth just as much as cash to me. Like @Nancyg56, the convenience of not having to look at prices, not thinking about every dollar spent, making choices based on not worrying about the price is worth every penny "overpaid" for the DDP. It's just plain rude to steamroll into every thread about the DDP and basically call people stupid and make fun of them.

I agree with many of the other posters -- once your child is no longer a "disney child" then the dining plan makes less sense. My husband and I were just discussing this the other evening. The plan expects that you are going to get a soda w/ your meal and dessert with every TS meal (probably an additional $8pp that we normally wouldn't spend). We don't eat like that- we prefer water w/ our meal and dessert is usually eaten at a later time. Our next trip we are opting to put the same amount of money on a gift card and have the freedom to eat everywhere we want and to order what we want. If we only want a couple apps or to split a meal we can and not be restricted to certain restaurants on the plan or feeling the need to order soda and dessert. I really feel that we will not spend nearly as much as we would on the plan.

Most of us are able to run the numbers and see if we come out ahead on purely dollars and cents. What you can't quantify is the convenience factor as that can be different from person to person. I get sick of people acting like those of us who like the dining plan are idiots. Most of us are not, thank you very much. You may not see the value in it, but I and others do.

Most of us are able to run the numbers and see if we come out ahead on purely dollars and cents. What you can't quantify is the convenience factor as that can be different from person to person. I get sick of people acting like those of us who like the dining plan are idiots. Most of us are not, thank you very much. You may not see the value in it, but I and others do.

My DD is an accountant and for years she tracked our meals costs and then compared it to the cost of our plan. So far, we have never lost money. I seldom track after we arrive now, but have checked out meals and our likely orders before we leave home.

People tend to use their own dining habits to determine what is the best plan for others. You just cannot do that.

I never understand why there are always debates on the benefits of dining plan. It works for some and not others but why try to talk down to people that use it? First trip ever was oop, I hated the sticker shock and ended up spending as much as the dining plan. Since then, every trip I make a list of where I think we will want to eat, do the math, and always end up getting the dining plan. Sometimes the regular one, sometimes the QS one.

My now 10 year old isn't satisfied with a kids meal so I need to order an adult meal for her anyway. We always spend resort time and are soda/powerade drinkers so like the mugs and drinks at the parks. I enjoy dessert and so do my kids. I'll sometimes split 2 QS meals between myself and both kids so we don't feel like we're overeating and can all enjoy the dessert. Every trip so far, the dining plan has worked for us. Just because it doesn't work for all doesn't mean it's bad for all either.

The dining plan works for us because we make it work. If we were paying oop we would get to a TS restaurant and order two apps, alcohol, entrees, dessert, then we'd walk around and buy every snack we wanted, drinks, more snacks, maybe two QS meals where again we'd get 3 entrees, maybe a side, drinks, dessert or snacks...and we'd end up paying and eating way more than we pay and eat with the DDP. With the DDP we know the food we're allotted, and that's it. We spend not a penny more on food. Because we're not paying oop for drinks we're disciplined to use snack credits for drinks (which I refuse to do) or we drink water.

Shaming someone for how they choose to pay for their vacation is like shaming someone for renting instead of buying a home. It's not your business.

First, the DDP works for us. It may not be logical, but if the food and snacks are already paid for, we feel free er to order higher priced entrees at higher priced places. If we were to pay out of pocket, we would be eating cheap food we hate and no snacks, to save money. That's just the way it is.
Second: OP should not pay for that 10 year old as an adult. Disney isn't going to ask for verification, and if that child is happily eating off the child's menu, then go for it.

I never understand why there are always debates on the benefits of dining plan. It works for some and not others but why try to talk down to people that use it?

I agree with you. A thread asks a question and it gets hijacked by people arguing on this topic. DDP is not for us, but that's our personal choice as it suits the way we dine, it doesn't give me to right to criticise others who do

First, the DDP works for us. It may not be logical, but if the food and snacks are already paid for, we feel free er to order higher priced entrees at higher priced places. If we were to pay out of pocket, we would be eating cheap food we hate and no snacks, to save money. That's just the way it is.
Second: OP should not pay for that 10 year old as an adult. Disney isn't going to ask for verification, and if that child is happily eating off the child's menu, then go for it.

If the child is 10 the child is a Disney Adult. Ordering off of a children's menu is fine if the meal is not a buffet or AYCTE meal.

If they are on the dining plan they will have no choice but to pay for the child as an adult. And as far as any all you can eat or buffet go, they definitely should pay for the adult portion and not try to cheat by paying less.

One thing that the DDP solves is that it allows me to order what I really want. There is no other way for me to just stop looking at prices, and the gift card thing is included in that. I dont have it this coming trip as my traveling companion has TIW, so we will see if I can just let go for the whole trip.

I think that for most people, the math is the key. All of it. Yes, you have to pay for tips, but you pay the tip anyway, and now you exclude the taxes on all covered food. And with the plan you can let the kids get their own dessert, or snack.

BUt these plans are not meant to save us money, although they can do that. They are meant to keep us onsite, only offered to resort guests, and meant to drive you to keep your money Disney money. That is why I always tell folks to look at menus first, and be very honest about their dining habits. You knwo your family, if they want TS meals and if they like the respite offered. For my family, we found that I underestimated my DH and know that when he is with us, DxDDP is the only way we can go.

I'm the opposite. The dining plan forces me to eat in a manner I normally would not, or I lose money. I was always runnng prices in my head and scheduling table service ADRs when I really didn't want to in order to make sure I was ordering items that would not lose me money. After I kicked the dining plan and started ordering what I wanted, I was so much happier. Plus, it always ends up being cheaper anyway. Win/win!

I'm the opposite. The dining plan forces me to eat in a manner I normally would not, or I lose money. I was always runnng prices in my head and scheduling table service ADRs when I really didn't want to in order to make sure I was ordering items that would not lose me money. After I kicked the dining plan and started ordering what I wanted, I was so much happier. Plus, it always ends up being cheaper anyway. Win/win!

And you and I are perfect examples why there is no one right answer for the DDP value. Every family needs to do the math and examine their own dining preferences. To me, research is key, and that applies on just about every spending aspect of planning a disney stay.

A little OT, but in July my DD, DSIL, and DGD stayed at teh Poly. This is DD favorite resort and they booked it knowing that with the heat, they would use the amenities enough to justify the cost. It was HOT and HUMID. Anyway, they had the DDP and used it well, even plannig CS stops that would double as cooling spots as well. Late one evening they were on a bus with a Mom and her two little ones, maybe 8 and 4. Mom had booked the Grand, so DD asked her how they liked the resort. They had not seen any of it. What????? You are staying at the Disney Flagship resort and you are not enjoying it? Nope. SHe wanted to "get her money's worth" from their park tix, so she was dragging those little ones from RD to park close every day, no breaks. SHe replaced the ice in her styrofoam cooler that was kept in the room, and packed lunches in that heat. Told my daughter that the sandwiches were terrible and soggy by lunch time and horrible by dinner, but she did not want to "waste" money tanking the kids out to eat. Now that heat index was what? 110 degrees? DD said it was all she could do not to tell the lady that the money wasted on the Grand, a resort this little family did not even get to enjoy, could have been used to fund her entire trip, food and character meals, etc, if she had just spent ten minutes pricing out the mods or values. DD said those poor little kids looked like they were half dead.

Flame me if you must, but that close to his birthday? I would have registered him as a 9 year old on the reservation at the beginning. Problem solved. Master Mickey doesnt need that extra revenue. Honestly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter