child that is too small...waiting for others question

Just ask for a fastpass swap.

That was my first thought, too, but it wouldn't work in OP's case. (Unless OP was willing to let the little kid wait behind with one of the taller kids, but I doubt OP would be comfortable with that.)

I completely agree it's a safety rule and I'm not suggesting Guest Relations over rule it. I'm suggesting she ASK at GR - maybe there is a system in place that I don't know about (having not encountered this problem myself) that they could use.

Unfortunately no such system exists. If it did, someone on the Dis would have heard of it. It really is as simple as the kids wait in line by themselves, or they don't ride. There is no system in place at WDW as there is at some other parks for the parent to walk along with a smaller child and then hop out of line. The truth is, too many parents would try and cheat and get a smaller child on to a ride they shouldn't be on.

I am getting mixed up with WDW and universal orlando/IOA.... I will be there with all kids. 2 tall enough to ride and 1 too short for a couple attractions. Can I wait in the line with the older kids and then exit at the top? They are tall enough but I am not comfortable having them wait alone without an adult.
YOU can wait in the line with the two older kids and then exit when you get to the front of the line, but your too-short kid cannot wait in the line with you.

YOU can wait in the line with the two older kids and then exit when you get to the front of the line, but your too-short kid cannot wait in the line with you.

Good point, but I'll bet OP is even less comfortable with this idea than with the idea of letting her two older kids ride by themselves.

The child too small to ride will not be allowed to enter the line. You might want to prepare your children ahead of time that they won't be riding certain rides unless you are willing to let them enter the line without you. You could get fastpasses for them for some rides which will cut down their wait but it won't eliminate it completely so they will still be out of your sight for a while.

That said if my ds12 and dd9 wanted to ride something I didn't I would have no problem letting them go through the line alone. If you wait at the exit, you would catch them both even if they did get separated somehow.

Don't kids have to be a certain age to ride alone/go through the queue alone anyway? There's a big difference between letting two 8 year olds stand on line vs two 12 year olds. OP, how old are the taller kids?

Don't kids have to be a certain age to ride alone/go through the queue alone anyway? There's a big difference between letting two 8 year olds stand on line vs two 12 year olds. OP, how old are the taller kids?

Yes, they have to be 7. The OP said that they were older than that.

Years ago, they used to let the smaller kids go thru on a kid swap. The 2nd parent would wait at the exit and go on the ride. We did this many times on many rides with my then 3yr old. I know the new system, you just grab a fast pass but is there a reason this stopped other than easiness? There are also locations for disabled people to enter? I would think GR might have some suggestions. Maybe not but it can't hurt to ask.

I would think going as a single parent this is a tough situation. OP, how old are your kids? I would be likely to flag down a friendly-looking family to go in line with my kids. I think that is the best case scenario if GR can not do anything. Your other option is to send younger child to a kids club for the evening while you and the two older kids go on the thrill rides.

But it is up to the OP. We all parent differently. Every kid is different. No one should judge.

Years ago, they used to let the smaller kids go thru on a kid swap. The 2nd parent would wait at the exit and go on the ride. We did this many times on many rides with my then 3yr old. I know the new system, you just grab a fast pass but is there a reason this stopped other than easiness? There are also locations for disabled people to enter? I would think GR might have some suggestions. Maybe not but it can't hurt to ask.

I would think going as a single parent this is a tough situation. OP, how old are your kids? I would be likely to flag down a friendly-looking family to go in line with my kids. I think that is the best case scenario if GR can not do anything. Your other option is to send younger child to a kids club for the evening while you and the two older kids go on the thrill rides.

But it is up to the OP. We all parent differently. Every kid is different. No one should judge.
The reason is people tried to sneak their too small kid on the ride causing a safety hazard and a delay at loading as it was sorted out (kid remeasured, parent yelling that he was fine, kid crying etc etc).

I am getting mixed up with WDW and universal orlando/IOA.... I will be there with all kids. 2 tall enough to ride and 1 too short for a couple attractions. Can I wait in the line with the older kids and then exit at the top? They are tall enough but I am not comfortable having them wait alone without an adult.

While I have not experienced your situation, I would not feel comfortable allowing my child to stand in a line/ride que out of my line of sight. Perhaps when he's a teen I would feel better,but at 9, I just don't see that happening. I don't care that there are cameras...I still think its too easy for something to happen. I've had rude and inappropriate people and comments around me before, people trying to push by me in line, rides that break down and you're stuck in the middle of a huge line, etc.

OP if you've come back to read, I don't think you'll be able to wait in line with the younger child but I certainly understand and agree with your concerns.

Is there any chance you could bring another adult along with you; a friend, a coworker, a relative? I'd be looking into finding someone that you can share your vacation with. It will change the dynamic of the vacation, but then your older kids will be able to ride the rides you youngest can't.

Maybe consider leaving your youngest at one of the kids clubs one night? Then you could brig the older ones to whichever park has the rides they most want to do. Just a thought. This is a tricky situation!

Is there any chance you could bring another adult along with you; a friend, a coworker, a relative? I'd be looking into finding someone that you can share your vacation with. It will change the dynamic of the vacation, but then your older kids will be able to ride the rides you youngest can't.

That's a possibility, but OP should keep in mind that it is just a small fraction of the rides that have height requirements (a handful at each park). Most things can be experienced by the entire family.

Maybe consider leaving your youngest at one of the kids clubs one night? Then you could brig the older ones to whichever park has the rides they most want to do. Just a thought. This is a tricky situation!

The kids clubs have a minimum age, though (I think 4?). I also suspect that OP might be hesitant to do this, given that OP is uncomfortable with letting OP's two older kids ride together without OP.

First, there is no second parent for the OP's scenario. There is still a rider swap option, but that won't work for the OP because there is no second adult.

Since WDW allows children 7+ to be in the queue without an adult, suggesting using accessible access because the parent chooses not to have kids alone in the queue is quite outrageous, isn't it? What if I didn't feel safe in the queue? Should I get access as well? (No guarantee that access would be any faster, could be longer using the accessible queue, and the too small child still would not be allowed, BTW)

First, there is no second parent for the OP's scenario. There is still a rider swap option, but that won't work for the OP because there is no second adult.

Since WDW allows children 7+ to be in the queue without an adult, suggesting using accessible access because the parent chooses not to have kids alone in the queue is quite outrageous, isn't it? What if I didn't feel safe in the queue? Should I get access as well? (No guarantee that access would be any faster, could be longer using the accessible queue, and the too small child still would not be allowed, BTW)

First, I can see why the OP wanted to leave the thread because your tone is rude and condescending. She is asking a question, not asking to change the rules.

Second, I realize there is not two adults but the kids used to be able to go in line. My daughter did with us all the time and we swapped at the end. Why she can not do it just to observe and then not swap is what I am questioning. There is no difference. Why the rule changed, because it wasn't a security/safety issue a few years ago. Kids chicken out and go thru exits all the time at the end, so there is a place for her and her younger one to leave at the end. That is all.

Third, I am not sure if you are a mom but you do realize that some 8 year olds might want to go on rides and sometimes a single parent is not comfortable with letting them be by themselves yet. I was giving her suggestions to help her. Who are you to say that Disney wouldn't let her do anything? A previous poster already said a CM bent the rules for her.

It doesn't matter how "safe" WDW is. You are naive to rationalize it that way. Things happen anywhere and miscommunications can happen too between parent and child where to meet etc. I like to have eye on esp in a crowded setting - what if they would get split from each other as the crowd leaves the ride?! The younger child would panic. And, sometimes in line, a child starts to doubt they should ride the ride and fear sets in.

You don't need to explain yourself. If you do not feel comfortable having them alone in line, then maybe you can request to stand in line and then exit at boarding. I know most rides have exits for those that changed their minds. Or how about maybe taking along another adult? Grandmothers work great in these instances!:thumbsup2 Have a fun and SAFE vacation.

Second, I realize there is not two adults but the kids used to be able to go in line. My daughter did with us all the time and we swapped at the end. Why she can not do it just to observe and then not swap is what I am questioning. There is no difference. Why the rule changed, because it wasn't a security/safety issue a few years ago. Kids chicken out and go thru exits all the time at the end, so there is a place for her and her younger one to leave at the end. That is all.

Third, I am not sure if you are a mom but you do realize that some 8 year olds might want to go on rides and sometimes a single parent is not comfortable with letting them be by themselves yet. I was giving her suggestions to help her. Who are you to say that Disney wouldn't let her do anything? A previous poster already said a CM bent the rules for her.

Because the younger child is too small to ride, so he can't enter the queue at all. This is because too many people were bringing too small kids through the line and then trying to get them on the ride. This is a rule that absolutely cannot be bent.

You don't need to explain yourself. If you do not feel comfortable having them alone in line, then maybe you can request to stand in line and then exit at boarding. I know most rides have exits for those that changed their minds. Or how about maybe taking along another adult? Grandmothers work great in these instances!:thumbsup2 Have a fun and SAFE vacation.

This will not be allowed. Period. The OP has to decide for herself if she wants to let her kids wait in line without her or if she won't allow them to. As long as she is the only adult on the trip those are her only choices. This is a safety issue and on those Disney does not bend.

It is at Universal where you all go through the line together and then whoever is not riding waits in the family room at the loading station and then they get directly on the ride when the other members of the family finish.

Yup

But you can't leave them alone or unattended in there ( not that you would OP)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter