Child Proofing BLT 2 Bedroom Villa

disneyfan1992

Mouseketeer
Not sure where to post - Mods please move if needed -

We have 2.5 year old twins who are very very curious and love to explore.

At home, every cabinet and drawer in the kitchen has childproof locks. Stove has childproof knobs. Lock on fridge. You get the idea.

Spending a week at BLT in 2 bedroom villa and wondering how best to childproof the rooms, but especially the kitchen area.

We were thinking just blocking off the whole kitchen area with gates might be easiest instead of trying to child proof every drawer and lower cabinet. We have child gates we could bring (we are driving), but don't know if any would be long enough to block off the kitchen area.

Is there a detailed map / floor plan (with dimensions - measurements) that would show the width between the kitchen island and the walls in the kitchen area?

Thank you?

Not sure where to post - Mods please move if needed -

We have 2.5 year old twins who are very very curious and love to explore.

At home, every cabinet and drawer in the kitchen has childproof locks. Stove has childproof knobs. Lock on fridge. You get the idea.

Spending a week at BLT in 2 bedroom villa and wondering how best to childproof the rooms, but especially the kitchen area.

We were thinking just blocking off the whole kitchen area with gates might be easiest instead of trying to child proof every drawer and lower cabinet. We have child gates we could bring (we are driving), but don't know if any would be long enough to block off the kitchen area.

Is there a detailed map / floor plan (with dimensions - measurements) that would show the width between the kitchen island and the walls in the kitchen area?

Thank you?

You are going to have a difficult time with this and need to keep a close eye on your children. I don't think you can childproof the drawers and cabinets in the kitchen. And you don't want to use duct tape or anything else that with damage the finishes. The patios do have an upper lock, but once the child is on the balcony, you'll need to have a tight hold on them if they tend to climb. They could be on a chair on the balcony and over the railing in seconds.

I don't think gates will work at all in the kitchen because the kitchen layout can depend on whether you are inside the C or outside the C.

You may just need to work with your children before you leave home to teach them about the dangers of what they might find.

Thanks Deb & Bill for response.

We have a MK view booked - so I *think* we would be assigned to the outside the C section (???). Please correct me if I am wrong.

We are also in a dedicated unit.

We can also bring a play yard and extension panels to "rope off" the kitchen area as I don't think an actual tension gate will extend far enough. But how many feet of play yard panels would we need for each side of the island?

Any idea where if there is a link to the actual floor plan drawings with dimensions?

Thanks Deb & Bill for response.

We have a MK view booked - so I *think* we would be assigned to the outside the C section (???). Please correct me if I am wrong.

We are also in a dedicated unit.

We can also bring a play yard and extension panels to "rope off" the kitchen area as I don't think an actual tension gate will extend far enough. But how many feet of play yard panels would we need for each side of the island?

Any idea where if there is a link to the actual floor plan drawings with dimensions?
Are you a DVC owner? If so, you can call your guide. Maybe they can find out that information for you. From all the photos I have seen, it looks like it may be difficult to block off the kitchen since there are 2 entrances into it around the breakfast nook/island.

Hi, RobinB.

Grandparents are the DVC members.

I don't know what a guide is, but I will ask them.

Thanks for suggestion.

I had one of those type of kids.

I always just went through the complete area at every hotel room and put everything up that would be considered dangerous.

I also brought plug protectors with me and put those in every unused outlet to stop him from doing something bad like finding a fork I forgot to put up in the high cupboard and putting it in the outlet.
Yeah - I had this happen at home - caught him just in time.

And then before we would leave, I'd put everything back after my husband finished putting the suitcases in the car so he could keep an eye on my son.

And I did bring the gate we used to block off the bathroom when we drove. That was very helpful.

I was very glad when both kids outgrew those stages but my son was way worse than my daughter.

ry%3D400

This is the photo of the two bedroom lockoff floor plan from the member website. As you can see, it will be hard to block off the kitchen from the kids.

The blue is the table with the seating around the table.

I don't know of any to scale drawing with dimensions on them.

The entrances to the kitchen aren't that wide. I think tension gates would work. I would bring them anyway and see. Either way, moving all of the dangerous stuff up high would help too. GL!

Another thing to think about with the gates (looking at the photo provided above). You wouldn't want to block your egress out the main doorway. So totally blocking off the kitchen may be close to impossible.

We were at BLT last May with our twin niece and nephew. They were just a touch under 2-1/2 years old. Our nephew was a handful and his dad had to keep an eye on him constantly.

Do your children try to climb over their play yard? If they don't, it might work.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

We have not used the play yard in awhile so don't know if they would climb over or not.

We have swinging gates that are tension mounted so those would probably be the best option. They do not try go climb over the gates we have in installed in the house.

Thank you again.

Another thing to think about with the gates (looking at the photo provided above). You wouldn't want to block your egress out the main doorway. So totally blocking off the kitchen may be close to impossible.

I can't remember the layout perfectly, but I think you could block the kitchen on both sides of the island so the kids couldn't get into the kitchen part only. I'm not 100% sure, but it's worth trying if she has the gates anyway.

I'd also ask for a lower floor, so the balcony isn't as much of a danger. We do anyway, because I'm paranoid about heights and my granddaughter is 6 and not a climber. But we were at the Contemporary for one night on the 9th floor last month and I was a wreck!

Not that you won't still have to watch them! I don't remember how much "stuff" there is in the lower cupboards but I don't think there's that much to move if you want to go that route.

I'd also ask for a lower floor, so the balcony isn't as much of a danger. We do anyway, because I'm paranoid about heights and my granddaughter is 6 and not a climber. But we were at the Contemporary for one night on the 9th floor last month and I was a wreck!

Not that you won't still have to watch them! I don't remember how much "stuff" there is in the lower cupboards but I don't think there's that much to move if you want to go that route.

A lower floor really isn't an option. The Theme Park View category starts on either 5th or 6th floor.

I'm sure the OP will make sure the twins can't get onto the balcony.

OP - I do not think you will be able to block off the kitchen with child tension gates. No real place to anchor them properly. But the kitchen/living area isn't really all that big so I think you will be able to keep an eye on the twins without too much trouble. My sister has twins so I know how tough that can be, especially if they are climbers or intent on exploring. (Hers are). It won't be like home, though. You won't want them on their own at all, even for a few seconds.

With any luck, they will be so tired that they will sleep most of the time that you are in the villa. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter