Child-proof locks on veranda doors?

CandleontheWater

Forever in love with Hathaway Browne
So, we are so close to booking our very first Disney cruise! :cool1: but I had a quick question about the veranda doors.

I know that this might seem crazy, but I'm worried about DS being able to get the veranda doors open, and then getting outside. I have an irrational fear that he will get up in the middle of the night, open the door, climb on one of the deck chairs, and then fall overboard, while I am asleep.

I know, its crazy, but anyway, are there child locks on the veranda doors? Is there anyway to babyproof them so that DS will NOT be able to open them.

If not I think we'll skip the veranda so I can sleep at night!

So, we are so close to booking our very first Disney cruise! :cool1: but I had a quick question about the veranda doors.

I know that this might seem crazy, but I'm worried about DS being able to get the veranda doors open, and then getting outside. I have an irrational fear that he will get up in the middle of the night, open the door, climb on one of the deck chairs, and then fall overboard, while I am asleep.

I know, its crazy, but anyway, are there child locks on the veranda doors? Is there anyway to babyproof them so that DS will NOT be able to open them.

If not I think we'll skip the veranda so I can sleep at night!

There is a lock on the doors about 6 - 6 1/2 feet up. Not child proof, but also not easy for a child to reach without climbing on something. Also, the verandah doors are pretty heavy and not that easy to open.

You should have no worries:thumbsup2 Not only do I believe that the doors are child proof, for many they may be adult proof:)

There are a series of things that you need to do in order to open the door. Just make sure that it is closed and locked at night and you will sleep comfortably.

The lock is about 5 feet high up on the door. It is at/above my shoulder height (average height woman). Then, the doors are VERY heavy--as in adults have trouble with them. If your toddler can get this open, he is superman!

That said, there is then no way he can climb the plexiglass barrier. There is no place to get a foothold--the bars are on the outside. He COULD hypothetically move the furniture over to the edge and climb on that, but to get thru the door and then do the furniture would take a lot of unsupervised time.

Your stateroom host will remove the furniture if you wish.

From what I understand, you have to unlock at the top of the door, whilst turning the handle at the same time and the door's are heavy!

Some have previously suggested cheap battery operated door alarms, but I also just thought maybe a wind chime on a sucker pad would work as well?
Light, easy to pack and wouldn't leave any mark's on the door?

Anyway, here's a couple of other threads discussing the same question that might dampen your fears and allow you to enjoy that verandah Stateroom!

HTH's!

Ex Techie :)

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2808378

http://www.htp.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=34868928

Keep in mind that since 1998, NO child has ever accidentally gone overboard from a DCL ship. That's a lot of cruises and a lot of kids. I honestly don't think your child will be the first. :goodvibes

As others have stated, it would be practically impossible for a small child to get outside without you knowing it. Even if by chance you forgot to lock the upper lock and the child managed to figure out the correct position of the handle to open the door, the noise that is created when the very heavy door is first slid open would be hard to sleep though. I don't think any mom or dad (since we tend to be very sensitive to noises of our kids anyway) could be in the same room (awake or sleeping) and not notice the door being opened.

Checkout the image mom123 linked. For those thinking the door is heavy or hard to slide... The door is NOT hard to open if you turn the handle from pointing down to pointing straight up. This causes the rollers on the bottom to lift the door up off the seal and it moves easily. If you only turn the handle halfway you can move the door, but it is hard.

Checkout the image mom123 linked. For those thinking the door is heavy or hard to slide... The door is NOT hard to open if you turn the handle from pointing down to pointing straight up. This causes the rollers on the bottom to lift the door up off the seal and it moves easily. If you only turn the handle halfway you can move the door, but it is hard.

But that isn't possible if the top lock is engaged right?

Ex Techie :)

Yes to both of those...I think my post was kind of confusing, LOL. The child would have to 1) unlock the top lock and 2) find the correct position for the handle (otherwise it would be very hard to open). And even if the child was able to do both, the sound difference in the room with the door open is very noticable. A child might sleep through it (since they sleep much deeper) but I don't think many parents would be able to.

Thank you all for your replies! I feel much better now, and will likely spring for that veranda!

You should have no worries:thumbsup2 Not only do I believe that the doors are child proof, for many they may be adult proof:)

There are a series of things that you need to do in order to open the door. Just make sure that it is closed and locked at night and you will sleep comfortably.

I can never open them the first day :laughing:

No worries, not only is it hard for a child to open it, it's almost as impossible for an adult to do it! We were on the Dream for Thanksgiving, and I had trouble daily. Get the Verandah, it's worth the morning and evening views!

Yes to both of those...I think my post was kind of confusing, LOL. The child would have to 1) unlock the top lock and 2) find the correct position for the handle (otherwise it would be very hard to open). And even if the child was able to do both, the sound difference in the room with the door open is very noticable. A child might sleep through it (since they sleep much deeper) but I don't think many parents would be able to.

There is also an air pressure difference, so when the door opens, there is a distinct draft/breeze when the ship is moving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter