Child Drowns at Art of Animation

That shows that you're intelligent and a good parent. Because that's what most people would do if they have very young kids.

But of course there are also many bad parents in the world, who let their kids do whatever they want. I saw a kid at Epcot kick a duck and his parents just stood there unabashed with goofy looks on their faces. It took a female stranger to say something to the boy and tell him what he did was wrong.

Thank you, however I don't think that makes me immune to a tragic accident. Kids - even well behaved ones - are impulsive. The parents in this sad story could have been helping child A and child B bolted. My kids have a history of following rules well. Doesn't mean today (or a Disney day) won't be the day they mess up and let impulse take over.

The duck thing....geez. I agree sometimes parents forget that family vacation does not equal abdication of parental duties. I am the kind of person who calls these kids out. Fair warning to duck kickers!!

This little girl came up to me and started having a conversation with me near the pool. She had to be 4 or 5 years old and her parents were no where to be found. I was nice to her of course, but what if I was weirdo who collects human skulls.

Well everyone knows skull collectors don't go for little kid heads, too much work for a wee little skull.

::blinks::

When our kids were young we always put lifejackets on them for swimming in any pool that was deeper than a wading pool. The kind of jackets that buckle up in front and hold your head up straight when you're floating. They were too young to feel embarrassed and DW and I were too old and too protective of our kids to be embarrassed. I would do it again, and I recommend that everyone do it. Because you never now how your attention might be diverted and how quickly things can go wrong when you're trying to supervise and entertain very young kids.

So sad and scary, my thoughts are with the family. Something like this can happen so easily, to anyone.

i saved a toddler from the Typhoon wave pool. He entered with other big kids, which i figured were his siblings. I didn't believe that kid had any business going into the pool, so i watched. Then the bigger kids branched off and the little 2 year old kept going into the wave pool. I went towards him to grab him but he had already went under the water 2 times and almost 3 but i snatched him. His mom came running as i pulled him out. No CM's noticed or came to help at any point. My regret is not running to get him sooner. In college, i was studying to be a teacher, and they drill you about how to never touch someone's kid, so that made me hesitate until i knew the kid was in danger.

Where were the lifeguards?? Disney should always have someone on staff.. i think they can afford it in their budget and it could have saved him. If they did have one, they obviously need more, like how about someone is always in the middle area, the lifeguards could take turns.

So what do you want--the pool ringed with lifeguards???? I've seen many a parent scream at Lifeguards who attempt to curb the behavior/keep safe their kids.

And there seem to be a lot of parents out there who are probably very good, very attentive parents 90% of the time. But for some reason, when they are on vacation (be it at WDW, DCL or even other cruise lines) they seem to think they are also on vaction from being a parent. I see it all too often. I don't know if they think nothing like this can happen "inside the Disney bubble" or what it is, but it seems all too common.

Exactly! And many of these parents actually RESENT any attempt by CM's/Lifeguards to enforce any appropriate behavior.

So what do you want--the pool ringed with lifeguards???? I've seen many a parent scream at Lifeguards who attempt to curb the behavior/keep safe their kids.

actually there was a lifeguard up above me, but i guess he couldn't see? SO yes, there should be more, so that every part is sufficiently covered. The lifeguard should have immediately came to the tiny body of a 2 year old toddling into the wave pool without a guardian and/or life vest. That is a red flag. They should be trained spotters. Disney can afford to pay for them. Disney should do the best saftey precautions on their end.

I am sure Disney does it's best to keep us all safe. Sometimes it doesn't matter how vigilant your are accidents happen.
Thank God they are not all this tragic.

My heart goes out to this family - it doesn't matter who, what, where, how or why - the only thing that matters is the end result - the accidental death of a toddler.
I hope God helps them heal emotionally and physically. This kind of a tragedy causes physical pain.

This is a horrible tragedy but important to be aware of. Drowning is silent. It's not the thrashing, screaming, noticeable thing they show on TV. There are countless times a person has drowned inches from someone that could have saved them. Here is a decent video and article that shows what drowning really looks like: http://news.yahoo.com/video/drowning-really-looks-233017652.html

I feel horrible for the family. They were obviously just trying to give their kid Disney magic and in a moment it went wrong. My heart goes out to them.

This is a horrible tragedy but important to be aware of. Drowning is silent. It's not the thrashing, screaming, noticeable thing they show on TV. There are countless times a person has drowned inches from someone that could have saved them. Here is a decent video and article that shows what drowning really looks like: http://news.yahoo.com/video/drowning-really-looks-233017652.html

I feel horrible for the family. They were obviously just trying to give their kid Disney magic and in a moment it went wrong. My heart goes out to them.

Unfortunately you're message is lost on some of the people here. But thanks for sharing. The more people that know about silent drowning the better.

This is such a sad situation!

My 2 year old wears her puddle jumper to the pool...even the baby pool because shes fearless.....she has already fallen in the water at the ymca pool...the baby pool and the big pool only have two feet of concrete sidewalk seperating them....my DH was one foot from her helping our other child put her face mask on and she got away....luckily pulled out by dh while floating on her back and laughing about it.....parents with toddlers I encourage you to get a puddle jumper.....they r coast guard approved for pools for a reason! The ymca life guard didnt even se it happen.

This is so awful I can't even imagine.

For anyone with small children interested in a proactive approach I recommend getting online and checking out Infant Self Rescue. They are specialized swim lessons that teach children what to do if they fall in the water, they start at 6 months old. Both of my dd's did these lessons and are excellent swimmers now at ages 6 and 2. But aside from learning to swim and float, the thing I like the most about these lessons is the safety teaching that they do with parents, they make you do a whole checklist of safety info and drill it into your head that no one is safe from drowning, it can happen to anyone at any time. These lessons are considered a last resort effort for a kid to live through an accidental fall in water, with the first line of defense being direct adult supervision.

I'm an extremely diligent parent who loves my children, but I know I have had many times when I've thought to myself "I just got lucky" cause one of my kids did something that could have ended a lot worse than it did. So easy for a tiny mistake to turn into a great tragedy.

Thanks for posting this article. A 3 year old should be at arm's length of a parent. In my opinion, and as a former lifeguard, that is the cause of this drowning. You should not be anywhere you can lose sight of a 3 year old or any child who is not a competent swimmer.

And as for a pool "ringed with lifeguards," I suggest we set that up as a pay as you go pool, $10 admission, to pay for that. Please do not add it to my room costs.

i saved a toddler from the Typhoon wave pool. He entered with other big kids, which i figured were his siblings. I didn't believe that kid had any business going into the pool, so i watched. Then the bigger kids branched off and the little 2 year old kept going into the wave pool. I went towards him to grab him but he had already went under the water 2 times and almost 3 but i snatched him. His mom came running as i pulled him out. No CM's noticed or came to help at any point. My regret is not running to get him sooner. In college, i was studying to be a teacher, and they drill you about how to never touch someone's kid, so that made me hesitate until i knew the kid was in danger.

Where were the lifeguards?? Disney should always have someone on staff.. i think they can afford it in their budget and it could have saved him. If they did have one, they obviously need more, like how about someone is always in the middle area, the lifeguards could take turns.

Disney staffs the wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon with between 7 and 9 guards depending on how crowded the park is, at least 2 of which are in the water wading knee deep, and were likely within several feet of you. They are extremely vigilant and highly trained; they just know the difference between a swimming child and a drowning child.

There has never been a drowning at Typhoon Lagoon.

Last edited:
I re-read the article and to me, it doesn't sound like the family was using the pool when separated or delayed in reporting their child missing. Very tragic and sad.

What is the gate policy at that pool? I know you need to be staying there and use your magic band to get in. Does a 5 year olds magic band work to open the gate? If it does, that policy needs to immediately change so only those who would normally be allowed to use the pool without adults can open it.

Once when I was about 5 or 6 I got separated at a mall from my parents and walked the direction I thought they were. I can easily see this happening anywhere in WDW and sad that it ended like this.

Disney staffs the wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon with between 7 and 9 guards depending on how crowded the park is, at least 2 of which are in the water wading knee deep, and were likely within several feet of you. They are extremely vigilant and highly trained; they just know the difference between a swimming child and a drowning child.

There has never been a drowning at Typhoon Lagoon.

he was 2 at most, went under 2x before i grabbed him... no lifeguard ever came

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter