Chickens attacked by dogs...financial loss and sadness

I'm sorry for your loss. Have you ever considered a livestock guardian dog?

I haven't lost sheep or chickens in years since i became involved with LGDs - I have Anatolian Shepherd Dogs and Akbash, but Pyrs, Komondors and Maremmas are also very effective against strange dogs and other predators.

More effective and less controversial than the 3S method that i employed prior to my dogs

it could be dogs but have you even considered other wild animals are eating them. BIL raises lots of chickens and fox and coyote are the killers not dogs or cats. Since you didn't see it I wouldn't assume.
Sorry for your loss. I would check local paper and craigs list. We get free peeps/chickens all the time that people no longer want.

Do you freshly kill a chicken for dinner every now and then? Perhaps you could have gotten to the dead one and the injured one fast enough so the meat could be saved.

You are kidding right? The OP clearly loves her chickens enough to refer to them as her "girls" I hardly think she would want to eat them! :sad2:

A friend of the family just had his chickens killed by a fox. He thought he had built the coop well and that foxes couldn't get in, but last week one did and it killed 19 of the 20 chickens...one chicken got out through the hole the fox had dug. He's going to now put a a base of concrete around so the foxes can't dig under.

No advice I just want to say how sorry I am about your hens. :hug:

I'm sorry for your loss. Have you ever considered a livestock guardian dog?

I haven't lost sheep or chickens in years since i became involved with LGDs - I have Anatolian Shepherd Dogs and Akbash, but Pyrs, Komondors and Maremmas are also very effective against strange dogs and other predators.

More effective and less controversial than the 3S method that i employed prior to my dogs

Our dog is getting old (and loves the chickens, but doesn't protect them) and we've been thinking about a puppy. How much training do these dogs need to be good protectors? And was is the 3S method???

it could be dogs but have you even considered other wild animals are eating them. BIL raises lots of chickens and fox and coyote are the killers not dogs or cats. Since you didn't see it I wouldn't assume.
Sorry for your loss. I would check local paper and craigs list. We get free peeps/chickens all the time that people no longer want.

Well, since the culprit pretty much turned himself in, and since 2 out of 3 lived, I'm pretty sure it was a dog. Other animals seem to have a higher kill rate (we do have coyotes and racoon's, and probably other predators as well). I'm impressed you can find chickens for free on CL. Here, they sell, and sell fast. My guess is we're more rural than you? I have seen free ones further north, but probably not worth the gas/drive.

You are kidding right? The OP clearly loves her chickens enough to refer to them as her "girls" I hardly think she would want to eat them! :sad2:

Thanks for that. I can't imagine anyone eating their dead dog, and that's what it would be like for me with my hens. They've all been hand hatched or day old.

No advice I just want to say how sorry I am about your hens. :hug:

Thanks. Luckily, my injured girl seems to be doing well, although not laying again yet. Hopefully she'll pull through.

That's so terrible! I would think the double fence system would be a good plan. I have a split rail fence with the wire mesh on the inside and it is a great fence. I would also think that the electric wire might work, too. I'm so sorry that your chickens were harmed. I wish people would take better care of their dogs! It is unfair to the chickens and the dogs!

Sorry about your hens.

The neighbor across the street from me has a dog that she lets out all the time and it always runs around and does it's business in other people's yards. I fear for the dog because he is always running in the street. Haven't been able to do much about it either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter