• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Chickenpox

You are not a bit paranoid, four years ago we flew out for three weeks - start of second week I started to get sore throat and headaches, but we put my throat down to the air conditioning, and I dosed up on advil to get red of the headache, last day there I thought I had a bad attack of mossie bites, turned out to be chicken pox I was 32 !!

Lisash said:
It was such a relief when she got it and it was no longer hanging over us. DS wasn't a problem as he got it at only 11 months. It's nice not to have to worry about it any more
I'm sorry to bring bad news, but it is perfectly possible to have it more than once. I've had it 3 times - the last time when I was in my 40's!

Hi
I just thought i would give you some facts regarding chicken pox
The incubation period ( when you could be harbouring the virus is 10-21 days)
usually an individual will be infections for about 2-3 days before the first spots appear and will remain infectious until last spot has started to dry up usually around 5-7 days.
Children can have varying degrees of symptoms from a few spots to being covered and generally feeling very unwell.

I think If you are about to fly on holiday it is a sensible precaution to limit the chance of catching this infection because you will not be able to fly if weeping spots are evident and horrible if your child feels unwell. However you can't prevent someone from catching it, just minimise the risk.

If your child has chicken pox and spots are evident on the day before flying even if they are dry it would be sensible to get a docors letter to autherise that your child is clear to fly. Airlines are strict about this, and rightly so.

Speaking from experience my son contracted chicken pox whilst in Florida he also suffers from eczema so his chicken pox were severe however we tried not let this ruin our holiday and took sensible precautions by letting him nowhere in close contact with other people so theme parks and swimming out for a while but we still went out and played football , had picnics etc.
(also required Drs letter before flying back home not that easy to obtain on a sunday afternoon.)

Hope that this info has been of some use :sunny:

Pineapple.

gilld said:
I'm sorry to bring bad news, but it is perfectly possible to have it more than once. I've had it 3 times - the last time when I was in my 40's!

I think that is quite unusual.. the only thing I can think of is that the virus has stayed in your body and it is triggered when you are feeling under the weather or stressed. as these do effect the effectiveness of your immune system.

wideeyes said:
I think that is quite unusual.. the only thing I can think of is that the virus has stayed in your body and it is triggered when you are feeling under the weather or stressed. as these do effect the effectiveness of your immune system.
According to a Virologist friend, it isn't that uncommon. I've had Shingles too!!! :-(((

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter