Chicken pox?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cousin in New York just called me about this post. I had to sign up and reply. We are all supposed to be on this cruise with you. My family and I live a holistic/vegan life style and we do not want the poison of immunizations entering my childrens bodies, so we are some of the few that have NOT be immunized against chicken pox in the USA. Chicken Pox is a natural part of many childrens growth process, therefore I anticipate that my children will contact it at some point. HOWEVER, I don't want them contacting it while on the Disney Cruise with your kids that were exposed, but not quarintined as they should be. My Cousins family and my family will be spending the week after our cruise visiting WDW for 7 days afterwards, and I don't want any of them to have to be quarintined on their vacation because the have contracted Chicken Pox. I have contacted Disney Cruise Lines and explained this issue/post and sent them an email with a link to this post. They were very thankful that I brought this to thier attention, and said that they will be checking all children and adults for signs of Chicken Pox on all their cruises, effective immediately. I am sorry to have to do such a mean thing, but these outbreaks in such a confined space can lead to a small epidemic within the guests that didn't bring such a problem aboard. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts during my mediation, and hope to prevent your family from contracting Chicken Pox through my powers of meditation.

I've not posted on this thread, but this post just has my scratching my head and going OMG. You are JUST as likely to be exposed to things at the grocery store, or Walmart. Probably more likely b/c people tend to bring their kids to run errands when they are sick, less likely to bring them on vacation sick.

My younger son has lots of health problems, and his immune system isn't the greatest. We put him on a delayed vax schedule b/c of this...but he will have all of his shots before we go on our cruise in August. I wouldn't put him on the ship w/o his vaxes done...I wouldn't want to take the chance on him getting something he had no immunity to but was preventable.

I think I'm just mad b/c it was ridiculous to call the cruise line over a 'maybe'. I could say a lot more, but I will bite my tongue now...

I'm an obstetrician. The test exists. I think they are feeling that there's no critical reason to do it and that they don't want to bill the government or your insurance or whatever for it.
I think you're right that it's only if there is a critical reason to do it. No other dr ever mentioned it or said anything about it (even when I mentioned having never had chicken pox) UNTIL my OB mentioned it when my 4mo old caught it. But at that point we both agreed it was a mute point- by the time we knew she had chicken pox I was already exposed, either I'd get it or I wouldn't and the test wouldn't help a darn thing. So i didn't bother- and then I didn't get it either. LOL
I've had dr's say maybe I should get the vaccination but I chose not to. There is a small risk of getting chicken pox (and as an adult that's not a good thing at all aka shingles) if I get the vaccination so I decided to leave well enough alone. Yanno?

If the child ids breast fedd there is som immuneity passed from the mother
I'm not sure you read my entire post but you quoted me and posted this? I did breastfeed but if you read my post you'd see that I have never had chicken pox (or atleast never showed any symptoms of having it) and therefore it's unclear if I can pass along immunity in my breastmilk if I've never had it. Which is kinda clear I don't pass it along since my 4mo old got it.

Are you kidding me...you choose NOT to have your family immunized, and expect the OP to remain off the cruise (which is entirely up to the mom's judgement as to whether or not she will cancel her plans)...what about everyone else who is on the cruise, no telling what they've been exposed to. Are they supposed to cancel as well???
I agree!

with all due respect for everyone that has posted you don't sign up for something like a cruise (especially going to foreign ports) and expect that everyone one the ship and eveyone in the other country is completely healthy, totally disease free and undoubtedly without germs...

as far as not vaccinating your children, i had a hard time with vaccines and i was one of the crazy people who researched and cried and prayed and totally freaked out but in the end decided that my child was safer with the vaccines (however i dont let him get like 5 in one visit, i do space them out) BUT if i choose not to vaccinate him i would find it unfair to expect every other person with chicken pox or sniffles or whatever to quarantine themselves in their own house and not come out because i had choose not to get the vaccines...

in my opinion if i choose not to vaccinate i probably wouldnt consider a cruise since sickness is known to spread easily...

to the OP: only you know whats best for you and your child but just because she was exposed doesn't mean she'll get them, im sure we've all been exposed to much worse just by leaving our house. everytime we go to the store, to school, to work, ANYWHERE there are sick people. that doesnt mean we'll always get sick.

i know i've rambled on and im not trying to make anyone mad, i just feel that the OP was kind of being attacked when in reality im sure chicken pox is mild to what lots of people are carrying on a ship...
I totally agree with all of this!

I've not posted on this thread, but this post just has my scratching my head and going OMG. You are JUST as likely to be exposed to things at the grocery store, or Walmart. Probably more likely b/c people tend to bring their kids to run errands when they are sick, less likely to bring them on vacation sick.

My younger son has lots of health problems, and his immune system isn't the greatest. We put him on a delayed vax schedule b/c of this...but he will have all of his shots before we go on our cruise in August. I wouldn't put him on the ship w/o his vaxes done...I wouldn't want to take the chance on him getting something he had no immunity to but was preventable.

I think I'm just mad b/c it was ridiculous to call the cruise line over a 'maybe'. I could say a lot more, but I will bite my tongue now...
And I agree with this too!
I'm baffled that someone would call DCL about someone exposed- this thread has clearly repeatedly said that MANY people are exposed all the time and just don't know it! Exposure doesn't mean you'll definitely get it!
And how are they going to check us? If you cause us to take longer to get on the ship because they are somehow checking our bodies- well, I oughta....... (pow to the moon!)

My cousin in New York just called me about this post. I had to sign up and reply. We are all supposed to be on this cruise with you. My family and I live a holistic/vegan life style and we do not want the poison of immunizations entering my childrens bodies, so we are some of the few that have NOT be immunized against chicken pox in the USA. Chicken Pox is a natural part of many childrens growth process, therefore I anticipate that my children will contact it at some point. HOWEVER, I don't want them contacting it while on the Disney Cruise with your kids that were exposed, but not quarintined as they should be. My Cousins family and my family will be spending the week after our cruise visiting WDW for 7 days afterwards, and I don't want any of them to have to be quarintined on their vacation because the have contracted Chicken Pox. I have contacted Disney Cruise Lines and explained this issue/post and sent them an email with a link to this post. They were very thankful that I brought this to thier attention, and said that they will be checking all children and adults for signs of Chicken Pox on all their cruises, effective immediately. I am sorry to have to do such a mean thing, but these outbreaks in such a confined space can lead to a small epidemic within the guests that didn't bring such a problem aboard. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts during my mediation, and hope to prevent your family from contracting Chicken Pox through my powers of meditation.

WOW!!!! Do you actually step out of your house????

So, how the heck are you going to travel in an airplane, eat in a restaurant, sleep in a hotel, swim in a pool and dine in the same room with people from your cruise without knowing truly if they have been exposed to something. Do you really think this is reality?

Do you think Adam and Eve, our neighbors should cancel their cruise because they went to visit SIL newborn baby at the hospital? I mean the horror of all the things that they could have been exposed,too. :scared1:

Where can I sign up for this??? :rotfl:

Okay, now I'm rethinking the strip search. If it's Jack Sparrow or Tarzan doing the searches, I might just take my lipstick and start putting dots all over me.

Ooh, Jack, I think you missed a spot.:rolleyes1

:
Okay, now I'm rethinking the strip search. If it's Jack Sparrow or Tarzan doing the searches, I might just take my lipstick and start putting dots all over me.

:rotfl2: That is way too funny!

My cousin in New York just called me about this post. I had to sign up and reply.[/COLOR] We are all supposed to be on this cruise with you. My family and I live a holistic/vegan life style and we do not want the poison of immunizations entering my childrens bodies, so we are some of the few that have NOT be immunized against chicken pox in the USA. Chicken Pox is a natural part of many childrens growth process, therefore I anticipate that my children will contact it at some point. HOWEVER, I don't want them contacting it while on the Disney Cruise with your kids that were exposed, but not quarintined as they should be. My Cousins family and my family will be spending the week after our cruise visiting WDW for 7 days afterwards, and I don't want any of them to have to be quarintined on their vacation because the have contracted Chicken Pox. I have contacted Disney Cruise Lines and explained this issue/post and sent them an email with a link to this post. They were very thankful that I brought this to thier attention, and said that they will be checking all children and adults for signs of Chicken Pox on all their cruises, effective immediately. I am sorry to have to do such a mean thing, but these outbreaks in such a confined space can lead to a small epidemic within the guests that didn't bring such a problem aboard. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts during my mediation, and hope to prevent your family from contracting Chicken Pox through my powers of meditation.

Key phrase highlighted in your post.

IMO you only signed up to come on the board and post what you knew would be a "pot stirrer".

Contacting DCL was waaay over-the-top IMHO. You may have just opened a "can-of-worms" that may very well effect many a parent with a child with innocent bumps and skin conditions.

You have a right,just like all posters,to your opinion but IMO your post was simply to attack.

You also have the right to not have your children receive immunizations if that is your belief. Taking a 7 day cruise then spending 7 additional days in the parks you have to know you and your family will come in close contact with thousands of people that actively have or have been recently exposed to "who-knows-what".

The Roto Virus alone can wipe out an entire classroom of children shortly after the first one shows any symptons.

I am not saying you and your family should stay home and you have stated you are aware your children may at some point may contract something they are not protected against.

Just please give the OP the benefit of a doubt that she will do what is best for her family and the other passangers on the cruise. I do not see her covering her child from head to toe to try and "sneak" her onboard.

WOW!!!! Do you actually step out of your house????

So, how the heck are you going to travel in an airplane, eat in a restaurant, sleep in a hotel, swim in a pool and dine in the same room with people from your cruise without knowing truly if they have been exposed to something. Do you really think this is reality?

Do you think Adam and Eve, our neighbors should cancel their cruise because they went to visit SIL newborn baby at the hospital? I mean the horror of all the things that they could have been exposed,too. :scared1:

Tneah is right, if your children play with other children, if you take them to the store, they will always be exposed to normal childhood diseases. I respect with your choice of not vaccinating your children and leading the lifestyle you lead but I hope you are aware that unless you never leave your house, they are exposed to everything everyday. I just re-read your post, you are on a seven day cruise that visits a couple of foreign ports, your kids are not inmunized and you are worried about ONE child that is most likely NOT SICK?

My daughter had strep a few weeks ago, it was a surprise to all of us because she didn't have the usual symptoms, guess what? No one else in the house got it, neither did her close group of friends at school. We have no idea where she got it.

IMHO calling DCL was unnecesary and out of line...

I have contacted Disney Cruise Lines and explained this issue/post and sent them an email with a link to this post. They were very thankful that I brought this to thier attention, and said that they will be checking all children and adults for signs of Chicken Pox on all their cruises, effective immediately.

I really doubt that Disney is going to all the sudden start examining everyone one by one for the chicken pox, just by reading a post from the Disboards!:rotfl:

And please don't call Wal Mart & tell them I'm coming today. I have allergies and they may mistake it for the flu, and decide to start having a "flu check" at the front door for everyone.

:stir:

I really doubt that Disney is going to all the sudden start examining everyone one by one for the chicken pox, just by reading a post from the Disboards!:rotfl:

You know what they say, never believe everything you read on the Internet :thumbsup2 BUT it would have been fun to get checked by Tarzan... dang!;)

Well we are on the same cruise and I am not sure what I think. Well I do think the lady who called dcl is ... well some things are best unwritten.

I am not sure how the whole exposure thing works. So how long does it take to get it and can you just be a carrier of the virus??? My ds 4 who has been vaccinated would be in the clubs but my 2 year old would not be (not sure if he has been vac. ,could have been) Could the 4 year old carry it to the 2 year old? Would the OP child not be a carrier anymore by next week? I thought that was the case.

*grabbing my lipstick and jumping in line* :rotfl2:

And please don't call Wal Mart & tell them I'm coming today. I have allergies and they may mistake it for the flu, and decide to start having a "flu check" at the front door for everyone.

:stir:

I'm sneezing with spring allergies today and tonight is Ladies Night Out! I wonder if I can call ahead and ask Tarzan to be there for a quick body check. :love:

I personally think we've got some pot stirring going on....PLEASE!:mad: The OP has already said that she has a hotel and that if DD ends up with CP that she will stay at the hotel. I was exposed to CP several times as a child. But only got it after spending the night with a friend, who found her first pox--the day I was there. Do you honestly think that there will be NO children at WDW that have been exposed to CP and not know it? I'd be more concrened with all the GI bugs that are prevalent at tourist destinations. ANd what about ports? You have no idea the health status of the locals. Maybe you should stay on the boat. Maybe if your are that worried about it--you could stay home! The OP will do right thing.

Thank you to those sticking up for me.

Again I want to emphasize that if there are ANY signs that she's infected, we obviously are not cruising.

To those that are worried that it will ruin your vacation; the incubation period is approximately 2 weeks, so even if she is unknowingly carying the virus and you or your child gets infected, it will take 2 weeks before it shows and most of you will probably be safe and sound at home. (And who knows how many other people you have infected then, because you didn't know you were carying it)

(And who knows how many other people you have infected then, because you didn't know you were carying it)

And if they do get it, there is no way of knowing where it came from. If she's sick, I know you won't take her. Here's wishing good health and Good luck to you!:wizard:

Good Lord! I am not on your cruise but personally I would be way, way more concerned about what your unvaccinated children are carrying than someone who "might" have been exposed to chicken pox. So very many more things I would love to say but I am so biting my tongue!!!!!

Key phrase highlighted in your post.

IMO you only signed up to come on the board and post what you knew would be a "pot stirrer".

Contacting DCL was waaay over-the-top IMHO. You may have just opened a "can-of-worms" that may very well effect many a parent with a child with innocent bumps and skin conditions.

You have a right,just like all posters,to your opinion but IMO your post was simply to attack.

You also have the right to not have your children receive immunizations if that is your belief. Taking a 7 day cruise then spending 7 additional days in the parks you have to know you and your family will come in close contact with thousands of people that actively have or have been recently exposed to "who-knows-what".

The Roto Virus alone can wipe out an entire classroom of children shortly after the first one shows any symptons.

I am not saying you and your family should stay home and you have stated you are aware your children may at some point may contract something they are not protected against.

Just please give the OP the benefit of a doubt that she will do what is best for her family and the other passangers on the cruise. I do not see her covering her child from head to toe to try and "sneak" her onboard.

Agree 100%!!!!

Kayla

Good Lord! I am not on your cruise but personally I would be way, way more concerned about what your unvaccinated children are carrying than someone who "might" have been exposed to chicken pox.

That's terribly ignorant. Children who are not vaccinated do not put others at risk. That's how vaccines work. If your kids ARE vaccinated (or you are), isn't that the point? To prevent you from those illnesses?

Kids who don't have vaccines don't just spread illness. In fact, many vaccines are live viruses and shed - meaning, yes, your vaccines CAN get my unvaccinated kids sick but not the reverse.

eta: Additionally, I'm disgusted by the fact that someone would misrepresent the wellness of a child (the makeup comment) and KNOWINGLY expose other cruisers/vacationers. Yes, things are passed around. Yes, kids can pick things up ANYWHERE. But, to knowing expose is gross. Do you know how many WISH kids are on these trips? How many people who have fought cancer or are immune-compromised? Seriously. Some common sense goes a long way in this world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter