Chicken pox?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I called my doctor and she said there is no such thing. I am sure there is, I read about it on the internet, I guess they don't want you to use it unless there is an emergency. She told me I can only wait:confused3:mad:

I'm an obstetrician. The test exists. I think they are feeling that there's no critical reason to do it and that they don't want to bill the government or your insurance or whatever for it.

OP....There is probably no medical back-up for this at all but from my experience with CP....

The child usually started with a runny nose and sometimes what will look like a small "bump" or two under the nose above the lip that will qiuckly turn to a blister.

Bumps turning to blisters will then appear in the area covered by diaper,pullups or underwear and under the arms where it is warm.

Then usually on the trunk of their body also warmed by clothes.

Like I said....Probably totally no medical back-up but might give you some advance warning.

Hope you are able to make your trip CP free.:hug:

This may seem a bit off topic but I'm confused by that statement about babies having a natural immunity until about 6mo of age.

My oldest caught chicken pox at age 3 (daycare baby- I worked full time). My son had the vaccination- although LATER. He was 2 when my youngest was born and hadn't had the vaccination yet. However my youngest daughter got chicken pox at 4mo old. I was a stay at home mom and still to this day have no idea how she got it. (the only thing I can figure is somewhere in the public although I was sort of a homebody with 3 kids, 2 in diapers and one of which a newborn. So I figure probably at well check/vaccination dr visits someone in the waiting room might have had chicken pox without realizing it yet?)

But also must add that I never got chicken pox- even though my mom was old school and had me sleeping, bathing, you name it with my little sister when she had chicken pox when we were both very young, trying to get me to catch it at the same time and get it over with. I never caught it then-nor when my eldest caught it bad at age 3 nor when my youngest got it bad at 4mo old. As I said- I still can't figure out how my youngest got chicken pox at 4mo old- but she did.... and I wonder if I'm just a carrier or something and gave it to her and that's why I never actually got chicken pox? But anyway my point is she was just almost 4mo when she apparently "got it" -4mo old exactly when she had the outbreak. And I breastfed her too- where was her immunity till 6mo? Maybe that only works if the mom has already had chicken pox to build the immunity themselves and pass it on to the baby? Oh nevermind- maybe I just figured out the reason she didn't have immunity till 6mo? LOL

But back to the point- if a pregnant mother hasn't ever had it- you can imagine how bad it would be for them to get chicken pox for the first time as an adult while pregnant- and you can also see that not ALL babies are immune up to age 6mo.

With that said- no, I would not cancel my vacation if I had "knowledge" of someone somewhere who had chicken pox and "maybe" my child might catch it. All that is- is the knowledge of it. doesn't mean she'll get it and I'd lay money many kids or adults are exposed and never even know it and still go on with their lives including vacation. The only difference is knowing, or not knowing, about the exposure and IMO the knowing about exposure isn't enough to cancel the vacation. I'd keep an eye out for symptoms and be prepared for our vacation to be ruined (basically) if she ended up getting sick at the last minute- but I wouldn't cancel just because of possible exposure. If everyone did that EVERYONE would never cruise- because you have no idea if you've been exposed or not. I still don't know how my youngest got it!

If the child ids breast fedd there is som immuneity passed from the mother

My cousin in New York just called me about this post. I had to sign up and reply. We are all supposed to be on this cruise with you. My family and I live a holistic/vegan life style and we do not want the poison of immunizations entering my childrens bodies, so we are some of the few that have NOT be immunized against chicken pox in the USA. Chicken Pox is a natural part of many childrens growth process, therefore I anticipate that my children will contact it at some point. HOWEVER, I don't want them contacting it while on the Disney Cruise with your kids that were exposed, but not quarintined as they should be. My Cousins family and my family will be spending the week after our cruise visiting WDW for 7 days afterwards, and I don't want any of them to have to be quarintined on their vacation because the have contracted Chicken Pox. I have contacted Disney Cruise Lines and explained this issue/post and sent them an email with a link to this post. They were very thankful that I brought this to thier attention, and said that they will be checking all children and adults for signs of Chicken Pox on all their cruises, effective immediately. I am sorry to have to do such a mean thing, but these outbreaks in such a confined space can lead to a small epidemic within the guests that didn't bring such a problem aboard. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts during my mediation, and hope to prevent your family from contracting Chicken Pox through my powers of meditation.

Well, obviously, if she is showing any signs, we will not be going on this cruise, but that does not mean that she, or I, or anyone for that matter, can't carry the virus with us.

Man, I am soo stressed out about this. this was going to be the 'perfect' vacation. Alas, there is no such thing as perfect.

If she is not showing symptoms, make a contingency plan in your mind and go enjoy your vacation.

Truth is, if you have left your home, you have all been exposed in the past 7 days to colds, flu and other infectuous diseases without even knowing it.

This thread caught my eye, my 2 kids just had CP, and my mom is now sick with what they call shingles. She is not in good health to begin with and is suffering incredibly.

I don't think you should travel with an infectious disease, although I feel that that poster contacting the cruise line is a bit over the top.

My cousin in New York just called me about this post. I had to sign up and reply. We are all supposed to be on this cruise with you. My family and I live a holistic/vegan life style and we do not want the poison of immunizations entering my childrens bodies, so we are some of the few that have NOT be immunized against chicken pox in the USA. Chicken Pox is a natural part of many childrens growth process, therefore I anticipate that my children will contact it at some point. HOWEVER, I don't want them contacting it while on the Disney Cruise with your kids that were exposed, but not quarintined as they should be. My Cousins family and my family will be spending the week after our cruise visiting WDW for 7 days afterwards, and I don't want any of them to have to be quarintined on their vacation because the have contracted Chicken Pox. I have contacted Disney Cruise Lines and explained this issue/post and sent them an email with a link to this post. They were very thankful that I brought this to thier attention, and said that they will be checking all children and adults for signs of Chicken Pox on all their cruises, effective immediately. I am sorry to have to do such a mean thing, but these outbreaks in such a confined space can lead to a small epidemic within the guests that didn't bring such a problem aboard. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts during my mediation, and hope to prevent your family from contracting Chicken Pox through my powers of meditation.

and what about norovirus? and strep? and others who have been exposed to cp unknowingly? you'd have to quarantine yourselves if you expect that this one family out of hundreds on a cruise (and thousands in the parks) are the only possibly infectious people you'll meet!!

Healthcare workers are "exposed" to horrible things all the time - that's why they're tested for TB yearly - it doesn't mean they all come down with the disease - but by the poster's logic - anyone exposed to anything shouldn't be allowed to cruise/go on vacation- sorry docs, nurses and lab techs!

These boards never cease to amaze me. People making the choice to cruise or go elsewhere where there are large groups of people, who are immunodeficient(or traveling with someone who is) or make the choice not to be vaccinated, need to be responsible for their own decision to take risks with their health. Anyone that travels and/or doesn't live in a bubble risks exposure to numerous illnesses and if the OP shouldn't travel because her daughter may have been exposed to something we should all stay home! :sad2:

and what about norovirus? and strep? and others who have been exposed to cp unknowingly? you'd have to quarantine yourselves if you expect that this one family out of hundreds on a cruise (and thousands in the parks) are the only possibly infectious people you'll meet!!

OH yes my thoughts exactly!!!!!!

Honestly, if you step outside of your home and enter a grocery store, mall, restaurant, movie theater, etc......ANYWHERE where other people are present, you risk catching something. We all face the risk when we leave our homes.

Someone who doesn't want their children exposed to germs going on a cruise and to a Disney park. Coming in contact with thousands of people with various infectuous agents. What is wrong with this picture??

I'm trying to bite my tongue here...I really am...

All I have to say is OMG are kidding me??????:mad: If anything you should be the one not going on the vacation because with out having been immunized who knows what you are exposing everyone to. Maybe we should call DCL and let they know that we are worried that you and your children maybe caring some sort of a disease because of no immunization. I know that this is your choice not to immunize you and your family but I don't think it is fair for you to ask that someone to not take a trip that they have been planning for a very long time and that costs so much money because their DD MAY OR MAY NOT have CP. IF you chose not to immunize then at that time you also chose to expose your family to every disease out there. Like I said who knows what you MAY OR MAY NOT be caring when you board the boat.....

But again this is JMO and I would never call and try and ruin someone's vacation.

Goodgoogilygoo, I'm on the same cruise also, but I certainly have no intentions of contacting the cruise line. I'm certainly glad I didn't mention that I went to Wal-Mart today. No telling what I've picked up THERE. Thank goodness I haven't been reported to DCL yet. The OP is a mother who obviously has a good head on her shoulders or she wouldn't even have come here with the topic/question to begin with. If she wasn't concerned she would have said "stick it you other people, we're going on the cruise." I have faith that she will take whatever precautions necessary. I'm more concerned about the people getting on the ship with a flaming case of the padoodles or vomiting.

I'm sorry, but if you choose not to vaccinate your children, that's YOUR choice and YOU have to live with it. My FIL had a liver transplant and is immunosuppressed. He would LOVE to go on an Alaskan cruise but he doesn't because he doesn't want to take the chance of being in an environment that isn't conducive to immunosuppressed people staying healthy.

Now I'm scared I'll sneeze at check-in. They may have to strip search me or something.;)

OH yes my thoughts exactly!!!!!!

Are you kidding me...you choose NOT to have your family immunized, and expect the OP to remain off the cruise (which is entirely up to the mom's judgement as to whether or not she will cancel her plans)...what about everyone else who is on the cruise, no telling what they've been exposed to. Are they supposed to cancel as well???

with all due respect for everyone that has posted you don't sign up for something like a cruise (especially going to foreign ports) and expect that everyone one the ship and eveyone in the other country is completely healthy, totally disease free and undoubtedly without germs...

as far as not vaccinating your children, i had a hard time with vaccines and i was one of the crazy people who researched and cried and prayed and totally freaked out but in the end decided that my child was safer with the vaccines (however i dont let him get like 5 in one visit, i do space them out) BUT if i choose not to vaccinate him i would find it unfair to expect every other person with chicken pox or sniffles or whatever to quarantine themselves in their own house and not come out because i had choose not to get the vaccines...

in my opinion if i choose not to vaccinate i probably wouldnt consider a cruise since sickness is known to spread easily...

to the OP: only you know whats best for you and your child but just because she was exposed doesn't mean she'll get them, im sure we've all been exposed to much worse just by leaving our house. everytime we go to the store, to school, to work, ANYWHERE there are sick people. that doesnt mean we'll always get sick.

i know i've rambled on and im not trying to make anyone mad, i just feel that the OP was kind of being attacked when in reality im sure chicken pox is mild to what lots of people are carrying on a ship...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter