• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Chicken exits

CQuinn

Mouseketeer
My husband and I will be there while I'm 18 weeks pregnant, obviously this knocks out a lot of rides for me. Which rides have "chicken exits" so I can wait in line with him but not get on the ride? And where do I say "hey I'm going to leave now." Do I tell a castmember? Does it work in the fast pass line? I've never tried it so any help is appreciated :)

I believe Craig and Dustin have both said before that every ride has a chicken exit, you just tell a castmember before getting on. I'm not sure about the FP line.

Don't freakout if you use the chicken exit on Tower of Terror, they still put you on an elevator, but it just goes down normally. :)

Every ride has a chicken exit, some more elegant than others. They will not force you into a ride vehicle. Just tell the grouper "one to ride and one to exit."

Every ride has a chicken exit, some more elegant than others. They will not force you into a ride vehicle. Just tell the grouper "one to ride and one to exit."

So I can go all the way to the point where they ask how many? That's pretty cool :)

So I can go all the way to the point where they ask how many? That's pretty cool :)

Congratulations on your expecting birth!

Kind of. Space Mountain easy exit is right when you pass the "control room" and it splits to the right or left. I don't know of any others off the top of my head like that. Big Thunder and Splash Mountain you can just walk across the ride vehicle and exit the other side. You can't exit the Safari at Animal Kingdom that late either usually. You can bail where they take the strollers.

Yes, you can go right up to loading, though in some cases to "chicken exit" you might have to backtrack the line a little, which may or may not be comfortable for you. That's what I meant by some are more elegant than others. They will never force you to board a ride against your will. Now, once you're locked in...well, you're going for a ride then.

I've used these quite a bit. BTMRR you have to walk across the train (climb in and out) to get out. Splash has an exit before you go inside on the upper level (by the Railroad) or you can walk across the boats. Space, as someone mentioned it, where the lines split. ToT is right as the groups get on the elevator. You will be sent to the CM elevator which comes out by the exit elevators for the riders. RnR is literally a door to the left right as you are about to board. You walk down the hallway and come out right where everyone is exiting the coaster. (Can you tell I'm a thrill ride puker? LOL)

All you have to do is tell a CM and they will direct you. No big deal! And you wait in the regular line unless you specifically have a FP. Although I wouldn't waste a FP waiting in line. I usually let my daughter so solo and then she gets off and takes my MB for a second time. :)

The one thing I have to add is that you should NOT waste a FP if you don't plan to ride! Goodness, you only get 3 FP! Even pregnant, you have MANY options to use your FP in all the parks!

Having a cell phone is probably going to be very handy! If you are only going with one other person, they might also be able to use the single rider lines at the few attractions which have them.

While you probably don't want to split up all day, WDW has some fun combos! Many trips I've gone with extended family and been the designated babysitter at times.

Pair Space Mtn with the TTA!
While others ride Splash Mtn, there is a cute playground nearby. It is beside a character greet, two gift shops, and a restroom!
You can also see the big drop of Splash and EE from outside the ride.
Enter the post ride area of Mission:space and Test Track. You'll find fun things you can do in both locations!
While others do the safari, you can enter the (first part of) trail next door. When they exit the ride, they can meet you in the trail attraction.
While others ride Primeval Whirl, you can play games or do the mini dino ride.

Yep. I wasn't pregnant, just in a neck brace for quite a while and even after, avoided thrill rides for five years. It was so easy. My husband and I would enter the queue together, get up to the seater person who asked "how many?" and whoever was in front of the other would say, "one to ride, one to exit" and then I would be taken out.

A few notes - I would highly suggest you do the Twilight Zone alternative exit (I don't call them chicken exits because I wasn't scared, just couldn't ride) and pay attention to the extreme detail of it. I, who had ridden Twilight Zone and usually shook after the ride many, many times, was still a bit "disturbed" by the detail in an exit where most people don't go. You still feel like you are part of the building. It is quite amazing. Once I could go back to the normal ride, I miss the alternative exit - that's how good it is.

Before you enter the queue, make sure you both know where the exit is and have a meeting spot. You can ask the Cast Member at the entrance for help. The reason for this is that you will only have to wait for the length of the actual ride which won't be long so there won't be a lot of time for you to do things on your own. So you should stay at the exit or a nearby place and your husband will be joining you in about ten minutes. Since you are pregnant, you might also want to scope out where the nearby bathrooms are (says the woman who visited every single bathroom at Disney World while pregnant :))

Your husband can also take the opportunity to give you anything he doesn't want to take on the ride. Such as his hat if he wears one. Or a backpack if he's carrying one.

Taking an alternative exit at Disney World is just so darn easy and fun, it's kind of an adventure on your own.

I'm glad you asked this. My daughter will be 15 on our trip and I have a feeling she'll need to use the chicken exit quite a bit. I was almost tempted to ask if the baby swap would be acceptable if your kid is a teenager lol.

Before you enter the queue, make sure you both know where the exit is and have a meeting spot. You can ask the Cast Member at the entrance for help. The reason for this is that you will only have to wait for the length of the actual ride which won't be long so there won't be a lot of time for you to do things on your own. So you should stay at the exit or a nearby place and your husband will be joining you in about ten minutes. Since you are pregnant, you might also want to scope out where the nearby bathrooms are (says the woman who visited every single bathroom at Disney World while pregnant :))

Your husband can also take the opportunity to give you anything he doesn't want to take on the ride. Such as his hat if he wears one. Or a backpack if he's carrying one.

These are some good points, but there are exceptions to the meeting up in ten minutes.
While we sort of use meeting spots, we improve the experience dramatically with cell phones.

In the case of say - ToT- if you use the chicken exit, then you are correct. The length of the ride is all you'd wait in most cases, which would be short. I was more thinking about splitting up - like Single Rider or if they each use their FP for different attractions- then they would be apart longer.

Once in a great while rides get stuck. Funny story of sorts: Some years ago, part of our family went on Splash- (just) before we (all) had cell phones. Everyone not riding was stuck in the designated meeting spot for almost two hours! This was under old FP system. The two family members that got stuck on Splash got an extra set of FP! Everyone else did NOT! Though getting stuck listening to the singing turtles for two hours was pretty miserable! Still, it kind of ruined much of everyone's afternoon.

Over the years we've been stuck on rides a number of times. Just in the last year, we got stuck on Harry Potter for almost an hour due to an idiot bringing something on the ride he should not have had.

I also think the idea of the OP knowing bathroom locations is also handy. We've been to WDW so many times, I think I know them all! There is often one close to major rides.

Universal is quite strict about bringing bags and items on rides. If the OP happens to go there, then having her hold stuff while he rides would be very useful! Otherwise you have to put ALL your stuff in a locker while you ride. The lockers are free, but it still takes time. On a few rides, guests can't even bring phones or anything.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter