Chicken and bird phobia at animal kingdom

My 9 year old is terrified of the characters (anything she can't see the face- Easter bunny, Mickey Mouse, etc.). We thought she'd outgrow it, but it's actually intensified. She starts to sweat, her heart races, and she wants to flee. It was pretty intense during our visit last month- worse than in the past. Since we want her to enjoy her time at Disney, and because she doesn't want to be afraid of things like a school mascot, we just started her in therapy. I can't say for sure whether it's going to help, but I'm hoping. Her therapist has some good ideas so far. :)

Just a note of encouragement- I'd really consider seeing a counselor. They can teach you some relaxation and coping mechanisms for your phobia. It doesn't necessarily have to be someone who specializes in phobias or a particular phobia- any good counselor should be able to at least help you a little. My daughter's therapist is confident she can help my daughter get past where she's hung up developmentally.

Okay, I'm really not trying to nit-pick here, but this has now been tossed around a couple of times. The definition of a phobia is an overwhelming and irrational fear of an object or situation that poses little real danger. The definition of irrational is "not governed by or according to reason."

The word "irrational" is not imbued with judgment. A crippling fear of birds is irrational because birds in a tree at a park do not pose any actual danger. Rationally, we know this. That doesn't mean the sufferer is wrong for having the fear, quite the contrary, but a phobia is, by definition, irrational. A professional can help a phobia sufferer manage the fear and live a normal life.

:thumbsup2 Great post.

I have to ask... Bigbird?

I mean is it birds, or is it the concept of bird?

Do scenes in movies with birds raise your anxiety? How about cartoons? Like the seaguls in Finding Nemo?

You don't have to answer of course; this is just for my own edification. I have a panic disorder myself and there was a turning point when my reaction shifted from being to anything that related to my triggers to just that trigger itself.

Ornithophobia is very real but can be worked on with a trained therapist who will most probably have you replace your negative thoughts with positive self talk. But it's a recognized fear and treatable.

Just avoid any therapist that hands you a chicken or sits you down and makes you watch The Birds over and over again (fun fact - the lead actress in the movie developed a fear of birds after repeated takes of her "attacks" using live birds).

And despite a group of crows being called a "murder" they're harmless.

Harmless? Haven't you seen the documentary movie "The Birds"? Have you ever crossed paths with an over protective blue jay? Those birds will come after you? There's a reason the Baltimore Ravens won the Super Bowl this year.

For those of you with bird-o-phobia, I wish that you have it NEVER MORE
NEVER MORE...

Harmless? Haven't you seen the documentary movie "The Birds"? Have you ever crossed paths with an over protective blue jay? Those birds will come after you? There's a reason the Baltimore Ravens won the Super Bowl this year.

For those of you with bird-o-phobia, I wish that you have it NEVER MORE
NEVER MORE...
The documentary The Birds? I love that. :rotfl:

Seriously, there are birds all over WDW. We see tons of egrets and ibis in MK. There are silly grackles all around too. I remember being slammed in the head by one in World Showcase. I prefer NOT to think that he thought my hair looked like nice straw for his nest. ;)

But no worries, i'll just definitely avoid attractions with close proximity to birds.

This may be extremely difficult to do. I've stopped at food kiosks and looked up to see an ibis staring down at me. I've paused while ducks walk across the path ahead of me. They walk around under the tables while we eat. When we're inside the stores, you can look up and there are often little tiny sparrows flying around the ceiling. I once even saw a bird on the concourse inside the Orlando airport. There are literally birds everywhere in Florida.

Last trip, while we were waiting to buy a hotdog at Casey's Corner in the Magic Kingdom, a woman came in holding a hotdog platter. She told the woman behind the counter that she needed a new one, because a seagull had swooped down and grabbed her hotdog, right off her plate, while she was holding it! She was in shock.

I strongly recommend talking to a psychiatrist. Your country must have some! And there are anti-anxiety medications you can take these days.

Ironically, the bird show in Animal Kingdom actually features a character who has a severe bird phobia. It's played for laughs, and used to illustrate various natural bird behaviours.

OP, I totally understand. I have a fear of birds as well. For me it's less about the site of them, my trigger is the sound of their wings flapping. I completely understand your concerns.

That said, animal kingdom is a favorite park of mine.

There aren't any real tips I can give more than what is probably obvious: we don't eat at outdoor restaurants, including quick service locations. We don't carry food around with us in our hands. If possible, I wear a hat both to keep the sun off of my face and because it creates a bit of a buffer. On the safari I usually lean away from the edge of the vehicle around the birds. We can't avoid them everywhere but shows like flights of wonder are things we skip. My husband is usually on the lookout for birds in our path, as they frequently walk or swoop along the walkways, and he'll usually slide me out of the way if he sees something I don't.

Last June we were eating at mama melrose's in DHS. While waiting for our table in the lobby, another guest left the door open and a small sparrow flew in. Most people just watched it. I covered my head and ducked under a bench. After it was gone i was sweating and it took me about 20-30 minutes to relax. The rational part of my brain understands that no harm can come to me via a sparrow, but that was my reaction. I'm sure other people in that lobby thought my reaction was disproportionate, but, the fear is real for me.

Systematic desensitization is a popular treatment for ornithophobia but not something I've tried personally. In my case it doesn't affect my life to the extent that I'm changing major behaviors to avoid birds. My trigger is the fluttering of the wings, so just seeing birds from a distance doesn't bother me. I've found this is one fear that many, many others don't understand, but I hope you're able to find a way to enjoy AK with your son in spite of it. Good luck!

I personal found birds that where scarier and meaner in the outdoor eating areas at Magic Kingdom. We ate at Casey's outside once and there was big evil looking crane staring me down for my food. I will not be eating outside there again. On a side note I love ducks just not pigeons, cranes, vultures, etc... Do not under in any circumstances do the Flights of Wonder birds flying every where.

I definitely sympathize with you on this! I have a mild bird phobia. The last time we were at the Magic Kingdom, I was walking with my family in Frontierland when a bird flew at me. I screamed loudly and went down on my hands and knees in the middle of the street. It was embarrassing, especially since my husband said the bird really didn't come as close to me as I thought.

I definitely sympathize with you on this! I have a mild bird phobia. The last time we were at the Magic Kingdom, I was walking with my family in Frontierland when a bird flew at me. I screamed loudly and went down on my hands and knees in the middle of the street. It was embarrassing, especially since my husband said the bird really didn't come as close to me as I thought.

OP, I totally understand. I have a fear of birds as well. For me it's less about the site of them, my trigger is the sound of their wings flapping. I completely understand your concerns.

That said, animal kingdom is a favorite park of mine.

There aren't any real tips I can give more than what is probably obvious: we don't eat at outdoor restaurants, including quick service locations. We don't carry food around with us in our hands. If possible, I wear a hat both to keep the sun off of my face and because it creates a bit of a buffer. On the safari I usually lean away from the edge of the vehicle around the birds. We can't avoid them everywhere but shows like flights of wonder are things we skip. My husband is usually on the lookout for birds in our path, as they frequently walk or swoop along the walkways, and he'll usually slide me out of the way if he sees something I don't.

Last June we were eating at mama melrose's in DHS. While waiting for our table in the lobby, another guest left the door open and a small sparrow flew in. Most people just watched it. I covered my head and ducked under a bench. After it was gone i was sweating and it took me about 20-30 minutes to relax. The rational part of my brain understands that no harm can come to me via a sparrow, but that was my reaction. I'm sure other people in that lobby thought my reaction was disproportionate, but, the fear is real for me.

Systematic desensitization is a popular treatment for ornithophobia but not something I've tried personally. In my case it doesn't affect my life to the extent that I'm changing major behaviors to avoid birds. My trigger is the fluttering of the wings, so just seeing birds from a distance doesn't bother me. I've found this is one fear that many, many others don't understand, but I hope you're able to find a way to enjoy AK with your son in spite of it. Good luck!

Thanks for understanding. It's their sight up close that scares me the most.

I've had close encounters too. I've shrieked, cried, beg people carrying birds to go away, ran, all in public view. Friends have helped me through though i'd always find them close to laughing.

I've had dreams of chickens falling on me, of them surrounding me while i cower underneath thin blankets.

As long as they're quite far and know they won't be going near me, i'll survive. :) So after much fuss, we're still going to Orlando, and even AK, next year and enjoy it, that's for sure! :)

There's no such therapy in my country. They probably don't recognize this phobia as real. I have never met another adult with same phobia as mine. I'd done a google search and results would bring me to other countries for said therapy. And even if by some miracle it becomes available here, i wouldn't want to be its first subject.

But no worries, i'll just definitely avoid attractions with close proximity to birds.

To dissers who understand my plight, thanks for the tips.

To those who don't, no offense taken. I too don't understand others fear of sun, air, water, etc. I'd done a google search on other phobias as well, and quite amaze at the results of how those fears are actually identified.

I'm sure any good therapist can help you out. I hope you can find some help

As long as they're quite far and know they won't be going near me, i'll survive. :) So after much fuss, we're still going to Orlando, and even AK, next year and enjoy it, that's for sure! :)

OP, good for you for having the courage to go ahead with your trip. I'm proud of you!

I have a phobia (not of birds, but a true phobia of dentists!). I was fortunate to find a dental phobia clinic at University of Washington's dental school about 12 years ago, and with their help, have had my phobia under control ever since (thank goodness!). But I've found that it's very hard for people without phobias to understand, even though they mean well.

I hope you'll eventually be able to find someone or something to help you cope. But in the meantime, I hope you have a good time on your trip.

A bit off topic, but my father is terrified of snakes, even photos of snakes. My sister and I used to think it was funny when we were little to sneak up and show him photos of snakes because he would scream, throw things and run.

Now DS11 has arachnophobia and his reaction the smallest spider will make me recall my father. So what did his fourth grade teacher dress up like one day? Charlotte from Charlotte's Web....:scared1:

But handling snakes? Not a problem. Of course, we never tell my father.:thumbsup2

I am curious what country you're from. Most everywhere has therapy options, especially if its a country that is technologically advanced enough to have internet access as yours seems to.

A bit off topic, but my father is terrified of snakes, even photos of snakes. My sister and I used to think it was funny when we were little to sneak up and show him photos of snakes because he would scream, throw things and run.

Now DS11 has arachnophobia and his reaction the smallest spider will make me recall my father. So what did his fourth grade teacher dress up like one day? Charlotte from Charlotte's Web....:scared1:

But handling snakes? Not a problem. Of course, we never tell my father.:thumbsup2

This used to be me (re: snakes). I was afraid to look at a photo of a snake. I used to be afraid to touch the photo of a snake. I have helped myself to desensitize myself to my fear of snakes. I have held a snake once. I still don't like snakes, but it doesn't scare the bejesus out of me now. My husband will save snakes, if he sees them out and about, he moves them out of the road, etc. He's brought them in the house before to show me...:sad2: But, I just tell him to take it outside, it's not supposed to be in the house. Most snakes are non-venomous, part of my problem would be how to react if I encounter one in the wild, and how to determine if it's poisonous. I've read a lot about snakes, and can probably tell most poisonous snakes by sight. Most poisonous snakes won't attack unless provoked (in most cases obviously there are exceptions but I've watched enough shows to see how much they will go out of their way not to strike someone). Best thing is to avoid it obviously.

With birds, there is at least a silver lining there, because the bird can't kill you, and 99.9999% of all birds would never come and attack you. The exception is if you were near their nest, but usually birds chirp out loud warnings when they are mad. Although a phobia doesn't really let you rationalize that right off the bat, it takes work.

Most birds behave in a domesticated way. Remember that they aren't going to hurt you and try to desensitize yourself. Look at photos, read about them, if you can do things to put you a little out of your comfort zone and then expand on that, you will make progress. Listen to bird noises. Breathing slowly and calmly and using self-talk, like saying that there is nothing to be afraid of, that it won't hurt you, a bird would only come after me if I pose a threat to their eggs or young, etc.

Become a bird "expert". The more you know about them, the less you will have to be fearful of. It may not make you 100% comfortable with birds, but if you were 80%-90% better off in the future than today, that it a huge improvement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter