Chicago

miraclemommy

Mouseketeer
Could you all please list your favorites things to do in Chicago with kids.? I have a DD that is 9 and a DS that is almost 15. If you just had 1-2 days in Chicago what are the must dos? We are going to the Indiana Dunes and taking the train into Chicago for at least one day, possibly two. My DD wants to go to the American Girl Doll store. What else would you recommend? Also could use some tips on budget meal ideas or places that we would hate to have missed eating at.
Thanks,
Jennifer:cool1:

Could you all please list your favorites things to do in Chicago with kids.? I have a DD that is 9 and a DS that is almost 15. If you just had 1-2 days in Chicago what are the must dos? We are going to the Indiana Dunes and taking the train into Chicago for at least one day, possibly two. My DD wants to go to the American Girl Doll store. What else would you recommend? Also could use some tips on budget meal ideas or places that we would hate to have missed eating at.
Thanks,
Jennifer:cool1:

The American Girl store is fun! For your ds the Nike store is worth seeing. There is usually a bus from downtown Chicago to the Museum of Science and Industry.

For a fun dining experience try portillos for Chicago style hot dogs. Another nice Chicago experience is Pizzeria UNO or Pizzaria Duo. There are many other restaurants but few will be as cost-effective"

Another not-to-be missed thing is garrett's popcorn! This is one of our favorite things to hit when we are in town.

Have fun!

There is a North Face store just north of the AG store that might make ds a little happier. It is at the base of the John Hancock building.

The John Hancock building.

Navy Pier.

Science and Industry Museum (the train has a stop near there, it took us a few minutes to actually figure out how to get to the museum from the stop though - it isn't clearly marked).

Shedd Aquarium/Field Museum (again the train stops here, much better direction)

When we take the train in, we buy visitor's passes before we go so we can use the buses and El trains ($5 for 24 hours, $9 for 72 hours). They are pretty easy to figure out once you spend a little time looking at the map and use them a few times. I think on the CTA website they also have a place where you can put in your start and end point and it tells you what bus/EL to use.

Emily

As both a child and an adult, I found/find the Field Musuem to be a snooze fest. Other than the dino bones there just wasn't much that interested me. I'd skip it unless one of your kids is dino-obsesed.

The 15 year old may not care too much for the Science and Industry musuem but your younger one is the perfect age. Still it's worth doing if you have the time. The submarine tour is worth doing but be warned it's pretty cramped, you may want to skip if you have closterphobia, ditto the mine tour.

The Shedd is great, worth the effort. It's small-ish too so if time is tight it's a great choice. I haven't been to Adler but I've heard good things about it.

Navy Pier will be a big hit with both your kids, it's free (other than parking) to walk around but rides will cost you.

If you happen past a Portillo's Hotdogs, they are my favorite but as with any town there is always a friendly debate on who has the best dog so YMMV.

Which does everyone prefer?

I've noticed that the sears tower has a longer wait, but the new (well, new for me) overlook thing is totally cool. You only get to hang out there a few seconds because of the crowds, but I got some cool pictures of my kids there :)

OMGosh, we love Chicago! My kids love the water boat architecture tours! Agree with the Garrett's popcorn comment - you can taste all kinds of samples there. Navy Pier is fun, but wouldn't stay there if super crowded. American Girl store fun as is just sitting at outside sidewalk cafe and people watching.

The website www.wrmn1410.com has some certificates for Chicago tours that you can go on. We love the AG store! Such an experience. Navy Pier is also nice if the weather is good. I think there is an IMAX theatre there that might be showing something your son would like. Portillo's is awesome - you could go to Hard Rock and check it out too. When are you going?

You could take a boat tour. We have been on the architectural tour and history tour and my older 2 DS liked them. I suggest a tour that starts near Michigan Avenue then goes through the locks into Lake Michigan. It is more interesting. If you start a tour from Navy Pier you usually only get a Lake Front view and it is $$$ because it starts from a tourist location. For a cheaper nice little boat ride--you can use the boat transportation from Union Station to Michigan Avenue or Navy Pier. Also I believe they have it from Navy Pier to the Planetarium area but you need to double check that. Visiting the "Bean" and Milenium Park is nice (& free too). For Chicago Pizza try looking on Restaurant.com for Giordano's. Enjoy!

Hancock Tower
Navy Pier
Architecture boat tour
Bus tour
Millenium Mile tons of store
American Girl Doll Store
Bean
Taste of Chicago , tastefest , around July 4th
Enjoy!! I love Chicago!!

I just took my DD9 over Mother's Day weekend and was surprised that the AG store wasn't that packed, not nearly as bad as the one in NYC. We had afternoon tea at the Cafe and that was a lot of fun. She also enjoyed the rides at Navy Pier and the Hancock building. I have to admit, she'll probably tell you the highlight of the trip was swimming at the hotel pool. :rotfl:

The Sears Tower is now the Willis Tower.

Check out the Chicago CTA website for public transportation options. Between the L and the buses, nothing is too far away.

I much prefer Sears/Willis (I cannot convert to Willis...I just can't). The lookout there is a lot of fun, especially for kids. They get a kick out of standing on the glass.:laughing:

Deep dish pizza is a MUST when you visit Chicago. I have had them all and Lou Malnati's and Giordono's are the best (Lou's is my favorite). Portillo's is also a chicago land favorite. If you eat there, get the chocolate cake. Don't ask questions, just get it. It is the best. ;)

I'd skip Field Museum as well. If you only had time for one museum, check out Science and Industry. Right now they have a Mythbusters exhibit and we have to get our boys there before it's gone. Even at age 5, my oldest son loves that show!

Navy Pier is ok to walk around for a little while, but if you don't have time, you aren't missing that much. A boat tour is a great way to see the lake. Michigan Ave. is great for shopping. Garrett's popcorn is WONDERFUL. Get the chicago mix (caramel and cheese popcorn mixed). Oh, I want some right now. :rotfl:

I would skip the Shedd Aquarium - it is VERY overpriced and you don't get much for your money. JMO as someone who lives nearby. I took my 5 year old ds there, spent $60 to get in to most (but not all) of the exhibits and saw a lame 20 minute 4-d movie. My kids' favorite place is the Museum of Science and Industry.

My family, including kids aged 4-12, LOVED the Field Museum!!! Just to offer another opinion since it is getting negative reviews here. Yes, Dino areas are the highlight but there is SO much to see besides that. We loved all the taxidermist animal groups, native American dwellings and prayer huts that you can go in etc.
We also enjoyed the Adler Planetarium and the Shedd.
A tip: if you have passes to your local museum you may be able to get in free through the reciprocal program. We got in free to Field, Adler, and children's museum at Navy Pier that way.
Also if you have a Visa signature card you can get in free to Shedd and Art institute the first Sat and Sun of each month. But only the adult cardholders--- we still had to pay for the kids.
We really liked Sears(Willis) tower and the plexiglass overlook. Great photos here! The boat tours were fun too, agree that the fun one was the one Taft went out onto lake Michigan--ours was a summer night during the fireworks . Such a fun time!
For food, we did Grand Luxe Cafe which we all really enjoyed. Also Gino's East for deep dish pizza and then Sprinkles for awesome cupcakes. We also did rainforest cafe.
A fun free experience was our visit to Lincoln park Zoo and next door the small but lovely botanical gardens.
We bought bus passes and used those to get everywhere. That was a big part of the fun for the kids!
Hope you have a great trip!

My family, including kids aged 4-12, LOVED the Field Museum!!! Just to offer another opinion since it is getting negative reviews here. Yes, Dino areas are the highlight but there is SO much to see besides that. We loved all the taxidermist animal groups, native American dwellings and prayer huts that you can go in etc.
We also enjoyed the Adler Planetarium and the Shedd.
A tip: if you have passes to your local museum you may be able to get in free through the reciprocal program. We got in free to Field, Adler, and children's museum at Navy Pier that way.
Also if you have a Visa signature card you can get in free to Shedd and Art institute the first Sat and Sun of each month. But only the adult cardholders--- we still had to pay for the kids.
We really liked Sears(Willis) tower and the plexiglass overlook. Great photos here! The boat tours were fun too, agree that the fun one was the one Taft went out onto lake Michigan--ours was a summer night during the fireworks . Such a fun time!
For food, we did Grand Luxe Cafe which we all really enjoyed. Also Gino's East for deep dish pizza and then Sprinkles for awesome cupcakes. We also did rainforest cafe.
A fun free experience was our visit to Lincoln park Zoo and next door the small but lovely botanical gardens.
We bought bus passes and used those to get everywhere. That was a big part of the fun for the kids!
Hope you have a great trip!

We are going to Chicago this summer so thank you for all the helpful hints. We are thinking about getting the Chicago City Pass, do you think it is a good idea? We are planning to go to all the places listed on it and plan to be there for at least 4-5 days.

There doesn't seem to be any hotels that are inexpensive and close in and have a pool. Plus I refuse to pay to park at a hotel. Any ideas? I am looking at Midway airport area.

Is the orange line safe to travel on?

I used to visit the museums on free day but I see they are only for Illinois residents now! Disappointing.

What deep dish pizza place lets you write on the table and walls. I remember doing that last time we were there. In the loop maybe?

We are going to Chicago this summer so thank you for all the helpful hints. We are thinking about getting the Chicago City Pass, do you think it is a good idea? We are planning to go to all the places listed on it and plan to be there for at least 4-5 days.

There doesn't seem to be any hotels that are inexpensive and close in and have a pool. Plus I refuse to pay to park at a hotel. Any ideas? I am looking at Midway airport area.

Is the orange line safe to travel on?

I used to visit the museums on free day but I see they are only for Illinois residents now! Disappointing.

What deep dish pizza place lets you write on the table and walls. I remember doing that last time we were there. In the loop maybe?

The orange line is safe to travel on, but it takes like an hour to get from Midway to the loop. Not a big deal the time we did it - dh and I were going to a wedding in one of the suburbs and wanted to spend a day downtown so we parked at Midway so we only had to take the train in and out once. I don't know that I would want to do it everyday.

Where are you coming from? Is it possible for you not to drive into the city?

We like taking one of the commuter trains in from Michigan. They are pretty inexpensive and easy to use. Not having to pay for parking is a plus.

I've gotten some pretty decent deals at downtown hotels, you just have to a lot of checking of different hotels and packages and deals. One time we were going for dds birthday (we were going to the AG store) and the best deal of all was an American Girl package, saved us like $50/night.

Emily

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter