• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Chicago-Where to go except...

Tell your friends to go to the library and pick up passes to the museum/zoo you want to see. This will get you in for free and allow you to avoid the "free days" http://www.chipublib.org/eventsprog/programs/kids/grkids_museumpass.php

The Art Institute for a 7 year old....hmmmm....I would have been bored to death at that age, but you know your kids better than us. The Museum of Contemporary Art I find more interesting and it might be more engaging as a lot of the stuff there is more "weird." It is downtown.

The Chicago History Museum might be cool to do if you are in Lincoln Park. But again, I don't know how interested a 5 and 7 year old will be. If you go there you can walk to Oz Park afterwards which is basically just your normal park but there are some Wizard of Oz statues. Not that exciting, but it might entertain them.

Since you've been before you know about those monstrous video fountains near the bean that spit water. Bring their bathing suits and let them run around in that. Or you could also take them to a beach if you are comfortable letting them swim in the lake.

In Schaumburg others have already mentioned Woodfield, and you can easily kill a lot of time there shopping and eating. There is a Build-a-Bear store in the mall and Lego Land in the "Streets of Woodfield" if they are into that.

Someone has mentioned Gameworks...also in the "Streets of Woodfield"...it's basically just a restaurant and then a place with lots of arcade games. There are some car racing games that your kids might have fun with. I'm trying to think what else...I've only ever been at night when they close it to anyone under 21...I don't really think its worth you money to be honest with such young kids.

Not far from Woodfield is a cool sushi place where you pick out the food you want off conveyer belts. The sushi is very so-so, so it's really about the novelty of conveyer belts. Again, this depends on how adventurous of eaters your kids are. http://www.sushistation.us/

Actually now that I think about it, since you are staying in Schaumburg that's probably where your friends live which means they can't get a Chicago Public Library card...but I know there are parks that have pools with slides in Schaumburg that maybe your friends could get you in to. I don't really know that much because I don't live in the suburbs.

This is in the suburbs: http://www.cantigny.org/museums/firstdivision.aspx It's Disney-esque in the sense that you walk through giant dioramas. I don't know how interested a 5 or 7 year old will be though :confused3

And finally I am going to go against the grain and say DO NOT go to Six Flags. It sucks. It is so hot, and the themeing is horrible. It's crowded and loaded with annoying teenagers. The contrast from Disney is extreme. And there really aren't a lot of things for young kids to do. Every square inch is filled with those rip-off carnival games. It's mostly just thrill rides. Ugh, I could go on with my hatred. I haven't been to the water park though, so if you are going to spend your money, I bet your kids would have more fun there.

EDIT: To add...and I don't want to get into a debate here because this issue always seems to get people heated ahahahahaha...but if you are going to pay for hot dogs, this is the place you go to: http://www.superdawg.com/ It's easy to get to from Schaumburg...about 15-20 minutes.

Something we did several years ago was the water tour of the city. We were on a small touring boat and they took us thru the city then out into Lake Michigan, there are severa different ones and at all prices, ours took about 45min and it was wonderful. The grown ups liked it and my son who was about 4 at the time still talks about it.

If youre heading towards Union IL for a number of the things already mentioned visit the Illinois Railway (or is it railroad?) museum. On the weekends they usually have a train running,sometimes trolley cars as well. They also have lots of old railcars and such to look at. Kids love to see the engines up close. Out west you have Napper Settlement in Napperville. Its set up as an old 19th century village, fun and its a learning experience. West of Geneva you have Garfield Farm Museum, a 1840s living history museum. The earliest building go to the 1840s. Besides teaching about a farm back then they have old style chickens, sheep, geese and a team of working oxen. Have fun

Both the Museum of Science and Industry and the Art Institute have free days. The Museum of Science in Industry is also very cool and you can get there by city bus. We try to schedule our trip around that. And if you have a zoo pass for your local zoo they will most likely have a list of zoos and aquariums you can visit for free like the Shed.(I know you said you weren't going this time but this may be helpful for someone else)

We plan on going to the Sears (Willis) tower this next time also. Just my hubby and I will be going overnite for the Madonna concert. I love Monet so the Art museum is a must see for us.

We had our honeymoon at the Congress which overlooks the famous fountain in the park. I would like to go visit that too.

The Congress was the first hotel I ever stayed at in Chicago when I was ten years old. I would love for the girls to see Buckingham Fountain.
Monet is also one of my favorite artists so I love the art museum. Hoping we can find enough for the girls to make it interesting for them, too!

I would second Chinatown and the boat rides. As PP mentioned there are several options available. One of the more interesting ones is the architectual cruise. Goes down the river and out on the lake. Interesting to adults and kids will like the boat ride.

I also agree with PP that Brookfield Zoo is much better than Lincoln Park.

Along with trying out some of Chicago's hot dogs you could also hit one of the pizza joints such as Gino's or Lou Malnati's.

Also there is Santa's Village in Dundee. An old amusement park that closed several years ago but has recently reopened. Its in Dundee which isn't far from Schaumberg.

At the Art Institute Dd's favorite was all the little mini houses/rooms. She could have spent all day looking at the details of those little window box rooms. http://www.artic.edu/aic/collections/artwork/category/15

The water fountain towers in Millennium park is how we have taken a break on many hot afternoons when we visit Chicago. Dd loves it and I just like to cool my feet a little.

Another favorite was the Sea Dog boat rides from Navy pier. Dd and Dh loved it, I found a Groupon but it would be worth full price to us. Also Dh and I have done a Bobby's bike hike, that was lots of fun and a great way to learn more about the city.

After talking a Chicago food tour I want to hang out in Wicker park for the day with Dd. She is 11 and the idea of I-Cream enthralls her. And then we could grab lunch at Piece for pizza and maybe do a little shopping.

Or if you are driving to Chicago head up a bit to Milwaukee for the day. We are using our ASTC science center card at the Milwaukee Public museum and at the Discovery World this summer. (Stopping at Jelly Belly on the way.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter