• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Chicago-Where to go except...

2 lil'princesses

Mouseketeer
We love traveling to Chicago and go every other year to see our friends. We (DH, me, DD7, and DD5) are heading back up there at the end of July and are interested in going to some new places this time around. So what we won't be doing:
-Shedd Aquarium
-Field Museum
-Planetarium (haven't done this with the girls but still think they are too young to appreciate it)
-Navy Pier
-Medieval Times
-American Girl store (not been but not going this time)
We will probably do the Science Museum just because it is our favorite but maybe not if I find enough other stuff to do.

What I know about and am considering is:
-Art Institute (DD7 loves art. DH and I have been and love it but never taken children. Thoughts on this one?)
-Lincoln Park (DH not sure about this one because a zoo is a zoo to him but I saw that there are other things there so how about this one?)

Anything else? I guess I should mention that we are staying out in Schaumburg if that makes a difference. We don't have to go into the city every day.

TIA!

We actually loved the Lincoln park zoo. For a free zoo I was amazed at how well it was built, I could do without the parking charge though. We really enjoyed millennium park as well.

I'm assuming since you said you won't be doing Navy Pier, that you have already done the Children's Museum? I remember the Chicago Children's Museum being really nice.......

If you want to drive north into Pleasant Prairie, WI, there are free Jelly Belly Factory tours (more like a warehouse). While I didn't find it all that exciting, my kids liked it!

Millennium Park is really nice and a must-do if you haven't done so already. While downtown, lunch at the Signature Room (95th floor of the Hancock) is awesome!!! Floor to ceiling windows, the view is every bit as good as Willis Tower, and for less than what you would pay to go up into Willis Tower, you will get a nice lunch. It is very casual at lunch--shorts and t-shirts are fine--and if you get there right at 11 when it opens you'll be sure to get a table right next to the windows.

If you decide to do the Jelly Belly tour, you might want to check out the Kenosha beaches. In my opinion, they are nicer and FAR less crowded than the beaches in Chicago. Parking is convenient and free, too! Or you could go a bit further north and hit North Beach in Racine--it's awesome.

If you want an amusement park, Six Flags in Gurnee is about 45 minutes from Schaumburg.

You might try the Morton Arboretum in Lisle, or Woodfield Mall and Lego Land in Schaumburg. Brookfield zoo is better IMHO than Lincoln Park.

Both the Museum of Science and Industry and the Art Institute have free days. The Museum of Science in Industry is also very cool and you can get there by city bus. We try to schedule our trip around that. And if you have a zoo pass for your local zoo they will most likely have a list of zoos and aquariums you can visit for free like the Shed.(I know you said you weren't going this time but this may be helpful for someone else)

We plan on going to the Sears (Willis) tower this next time also. Just my hubby and I will be going overnite for the Madonna concert. I love Monet so the Art museum is a must see for us.

We had our honeymoon at the Congress which overlooks the famous fountain in the park. I would like to go visit that too.

You asked about the Art Institute -- it's really terrific. There's something for everyone. It is pricey, though. I wouldn't assume the Planetarium is beyond your kids -- they do a very nice sky show for young people -- check out their website first.

The Lego Museum in Schaumburg is pretty cool, but again it's expensive -- there are free kids tickets coupons out there --might be able to find them on the internet. Most of it is walking through giant lego sculptures (think Downtown Disney); there's a Lego movie, a little cafe, and an area where they can build with Legos and play with them, and of course, a store. It's not like Legoland with rides or anything like that.

From Schaumburg, it's an easy ride to the Botanic Gardens in Glencoe. They're absolutely stunning. There's a large children's garden, a huge model train area, a little trolley that you can ride through the garden. There's no entry cost, but there's a fee for parking (I think it's $20 a car, with as many people as you can cram in), and the trains and trolley cost extra. They have a beautiful rose garden as well.

West of Schaumburg, your kids might really enjoy Donley's Wild West. It's in Union, which is probably 45 minutes-an hour away. It's a sort of amusement park built like an old western town. There's a petting zoo, a train, ice cream, pony rides, a "gunfight" stunt show, and lots more. (Disclaimer: I used to do publicity for them, but it's really cute). There's also a museum of lots of old stuff, mostly Edison phonographs, but also other Old West artifacts.

You could spend your entire trip here and never go downtown, if you wanted to! Between pp's suggestion of Six Flags (with their huge waterpark, which is included in your admission --and Coke cans can give you $20 off admission, or there are cereal boxes with free weekday kids admission tickets), and the other suggestions here, you might not need to fight the traffic to head into the city.

The Volo Illinois auto museum has over 150 famous cars on display. If you liked Midevil times dinner show, then you'll love the Bristol renescence (sp?) fair. Take a Wendella boat tour of Chicago down the Chicago river, take a Chicago mob tour, ghost tour, or segway tour. Have fun.......

Volo auto museum is fun. I would check the Arboretum's website and only go if they have something going on at the time. I really like the fall festivals.

Two other things to consider are the Dupage Children's Museum in Naperville. You could also take in lunch downtown Naperville--which is about 8 blocks of retail/food. My current favorite place is Blackberry Farm in Aurora. It is cheap you can bring your own food, and it is fun. You could make a day of it and go to the waterpark next door also owned by the Fox Valley Park District. I think it is called Splash Country.

Naperville is about 20 minutes down 355/I88 from Schaumberg. Aurora is only a couple extra minutes down I88.

Art Institute would be free for the kids (under 13 yrs is free). They have the new modern wing open now for a couple of years, my dd13 likes it.

Go see a play. Pinkalicious is playing at Water Tower right now. There are also lots of children's theaters in Chicago.

I know you said you aren't going to do American Girl place, but it's fun for the girls. It's just about impossible not to buy a doll there, though.

Brookfield Zoo is alot of fun. You can spend the whole day there. They have a new bug exhibit on right now. Lincoln Park Zoo is free, while Brookfield Zoo is expensive. You can drop almost $100 for the family at Brookfield.

Morton Arboretum is alot of fun. It's (obviously) outside. It's kinda expensive also.

Chinatown is fun, but it's not that big. Between dinner and looking around, you can spend about 2 hours tops. A good place to eat is Won Kow.

The Museum of Science & Industry is alot of fun, which I think you said you've been to before. Very expensive for the day.

I'm not sure what's in Schaumburg, besides the huge IKEA...lol. I think they have some kind of gaming place near their mall.

Have fun!

We just returned from a long weekend in Chicago and had a blast. We mostly did 'older kid' things, like a Segway Tour and food-tasting tour, but one stop on the food tour was very cool for kids - there is an ice cream shop in Bucktown/Wicker Park called iCream - you pick your milk type (whole, soy, etc), a couple of flavors, mix-ins, toppings, and they create it within seconds using liquid nitrogen. So cool.

Thank so much! I just got home and was able to read all of these and I am so very excited to look into all these places! I knew there had to be a whole lot of other things to do but Chicago is such a big city it is so hard to find which places are good and would appeal to my kids. I really appreciate all the feedback:goodvibes

I'm assuming since you said you won't be doing Navy Pier, that you have already done the Children's Museum? I remember the Chicago Children's Museum being really nice.......

If you want to drive north into Pleasant Prairie, WI, there are free Jelly Belly Factory tours (more like a warehouse). While I didn't find it all that exciting, my kids liked it!

Love the Children's Museum (and the fact that it is free with my science museum membership) but it is also on the no list. I will check out the Jelly Belly Factory tour, though. Sounds fun for the kiddos!

The Peggy Norbert Nature Museum is within walking distance to the Lincoln Park Zoo. My kids love it! Sometime they have Groupon's which is a bonus. Also near Lincoln Park Zoo is the Chicago Historical Society. With you kids ages its worth a visit on a free day but not sure about other days--it depends on your kids. My middle DS cannot last very long but big brother wishes he could stay longer. Also the Lincoln Park Conservatory has beautiful flowers. Not very far from Schaumburg is Pirate's Cove in Elk Grove Village. Its a small park district amusement park but my kids really like it. I also think there is a pool next too it. Enjoy!

I know that Chicago Shakespeare Theatre is doing Beauty and the Beast Junior this summer (my sister works there). I think it is going through the end of August. The theatre is on Navy Pier.

My buddy owns a shop nearby "Hot Doug's."

Hot Doug's is awesome and a fun place to grab what Chicago does better than anywhere else in the US, Hot Dogs. It has always been popular, even before the food travel folks found it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HCOAUg-ARg

Ohhh You beat me to it. I just went to Chicago and went to Hot Dougs for the first time. Loved it. Great place and Doug is nice.

We also went to Maxwell Street Market for the first time and had a fun time. Read up on it before you go. It isn't even on Maxwell Street.

The Chicago Historical Society, on the edge of Lincoln Park. It is a lovely building and has really good exhibits on local history, including some on the Great Chicago Fire. Even my 2 yo loved it; she got to "ride" a penny-farthing bicycle and make herself into a life-sized hot dog.

Also, if you think that they would be up for a lot of old TV and radio curiousities, they have FINALLY (after being closed for 13 years) reopened the Museum of Broadcast Communications. My understanding is that it is mostly done via screens, however, so I'm not sure how well it will hold kids' attention.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter