Chicago Style Italian Beef sub at Contempo Cafe?

jenhelgren

DIS Veteran
Has anyone tried the Italian Beef at Contemp Cafe that can comment on it? Our trip is in a few weeks and I am trying to pick a few QS meals near Polynesian where we will be staying. We are from Chicagoland area and are spoiled with Portillos so Im not sure how it would compare but we love Italian Beef sandwiches!! Thanks!

Can't answer about the beef, but supposedly the hot turkey sandwich at Contempo is delicious. Maybe avoid the disappointment all together!

And Contempo has all those wonderful cupcakes!

Thanks! Any other comments/votes for Contempo? Captain Cooks doesn't appeal to us for multiple days. We will definitely be grabbing Tonga Toast for breakfast but need some lunch options!! Nothing on the Grand Floridian QS menu really stood out to me either. We love Geyser Point/Roaring Fork for QS but will be dining at Artist Point one night already so I was trying to pick a different resort and try something new!

I can't comment about Contempo BUT from one fellow Chicago-ian to another, did you know that Portillo's is opening up in Lake Buena Vista? No opening date listed on the Portillo's site but it will be close to Disney at Palm Parkway and Daryl Carter Blvd. I see a visit there in my future.

Can't answer about the beef, but supposedly the hot turkey sandwich at Contempo is delicious. Maybe avoid the disappointment all together!

And Contempo has all those wonderful cupcakes!
All this goes for me also. The turkey sandwich and the seasonal cupcake at Contempo are great!

I like Contempo better than Captain Cook's. Whatever you order at Contempo, I think it's worth a visit.

I can't comment about Contempo BUT from one fellow Chicago-ian to another, did you know that Portillo's is opening up in Lake Buena Vista? No opening date listed on the Portillo's site but it will be close to Disney at Palm Parkway and Daryl Carter Blvd. I see a visit there in my future.
We did not know that!!

Yay! I'm sure we will end up grabbing food almost every trip. I see that location being VERY busy and am surprised it took so long :)

All this goes for me also. The turkey sandwich and the seasonal cupcake at Contempo are great!

I like Contempo better than Captain Cook's. Whatever you order at Contempo, I think it's worth a visit.
Now I am intrigued about the cupcakes! We love Roaring Fork when we are on the dining plan because they always have amazing bakery options to replace our drink credit and we are desert lovers at Disney! Does the Contempo have special bakery items?

Has anyone tried the Italian Beef at Contemp Cafe that can comment on it? Our trip is in a few weeks and I am trying to pick a few QS meals near Polynesian where we will be staying. We are from Chicagoland area and are spoiled with Portillos so Im not sure how it would compare but we love Italian Beef sandwiches!! Thanks!
Did you know there's going to be a Portillo's not on property but not far from Disney?
Ha. We just had their beef sandwiches this evening. I think the Orlando one will go over very big.
OOOPS I just realized someone else mentioned this. Sorry!

Now I am intrigued about the cupcakes! We love Roaring Fork when we are on the dining plan because they always have amazing bakery options to replace our drink credit and we are desert lovers at Disney! Does the Contempo have special bakery items?

I once had a seasonal pumpkin cupcake there. It was prepackaged and I'm not sure what company made it, but it was excellent! There was a very limited selection of bakery items, but I liked what I had.

Omg ! If it’s close to Portillo I’d be thrilled! Former chicagoan here. Man I miss portillos can’t get a decent beef sandwich in Colorado :(

I like Contempo much better than Captain Cooks, but Gasparilla Grill at GF is the best of the three.

I like Contempo much better than Captain Cooks, but Gasparilla Grill at GF is the best of the three.

Tell me more :)
Do you have an recommendations? We are usually in the parks for lunch and don't have tickets this trip so experiencing resort QS is new for us! I looked at the GF menu and nothing stuck out to me but maybe there is more than what is on the menu?

Tell me more :)
Do you have an recommendations? We are usually in the parks for lunch and don't have tickets this trip so experiencing resort QS is new for us! I looked at the GF menu and nothing stuck out to me but maybe there is more than what is on the menu?

I just like the setup, and I like how fresh everything is. The burgers and chicken sandwiches are so much better than anything you will get in the parks. The pizza is also pretty good. If they still have the make your own salad option, it is great. The kids meals were large portions, which was great for my kids at the time. We ate there several times, although it was back in 2016, to be fair. Not sure what may have changed since then, but I was at Contempo and Capt Cooks in May of this year and they were the same as they were back in 2016 as well, so not sure if anything major has changed at GF. I find the menus posted for these resort QS to never have all the available items. They often have daily specials, special desserts, etc. Contempo definitely has the best desserts, hands down.

I am not from Chicago but I dream about the Italian beef sandwich I had when I visited Chicago. With that being said, I’ve had the one at the Contemporary and I found it to be quite tasty.

My husband tried it last year and said it was good. Portillos was still the best, but Contempo's was good.

We love pretty much everything at Contempo Cafe. The peanut butter pie is my favorite dessert on property!

Contempo Italian Beef is good but nothing beats a hometown Portillios Big Beef dunked in gravy :love::love: If only the new Portillos could have been at Disney Springs!

Oasis Grill is another option at the Poly. Not sure what you have for park tickets, but you can quickly get to the MK for QS too. A few options on Main St USA, so you dont need to walk far into the park.

I would say that if you are from an area where beef sandwiches are done well, then don't go to the Contemporary looking for something as good! That's just my opinion; I truly have no idea. We stayed at the CR last year and I enjoyed everything I had at the Contempo Cafe (turkey sandwich and flatbread pizza). I also had a cupcake every day! It's good for people watching too.

I'll be the dissenting voice... We stayed at BLT for 10 nights in August and found the Contempo Cafe generally lacking. There aren't a lot of options and it what they did have was unremarkable. I had the shrimp ceasar salad and it was blah, as was the burger with the onion jam. My husband had the beef sandwich, and again, blah. Our three daughters tried different things from the menu and were underwhelmed for the most part. We ate dinner there two nights, and breakfast there twice. I would not make a special trip. YMMV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter