Chicago on a budget?

sherry7

DIS Veteran
We have a family wedding just outside Chicago on August 1. I'm fairly certain that I'll attend, and I'll be bringing DD (age 5) with me. DH will be at work, so it's just us girls. I'll likely be staying with my brother for a few days, so lodging is taken care of. I plan on driving instead of flying, so we'll have our car as well.

What are some fun, but not outrageously expensive things I can do with DD? I definitely want to take her to the Brookfield Zoo, as I fondly remember visiting there when I was younger. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

The fountains at Millinium Park. ( the spitting faces) kept my kids busy for a long time. There will probably be something going on in the park too.

Lincoln park zoo is free and is a nice little zoo

What suburb? Do you want to hit Chicago proper, or some fun things near where you will be staying?

:goodvibes

Not sure what your interests are, but for our next trip to Chicago (just an overnight on the way to visit my parents) we're going to do one of the Chicago Architectural Foundation tours -- Actually the one we are going to do runs $20 pp, so not a freebie item, but not that expensive either. Here's a link to the tour my son and I are going to do: It's called Historic Treasures of Culture and Commerce.
https://www.architecture.org/experience-caf/tours/detail/historic-treasures-of-culture-and-commerce/
Their most popular tour is the river cruise which is more expensive than the walking tours like about $43 per person, so kind of pricey.

They meet close to Millennium Park, which as other posters have noted is quite unique and fun and something to definitely hit. No cost to visit there. // Chicago has wonderful museums, etc. -- not free, but excellent and if you have any interest in doing something like that you might pick one based on interest: There is the Chicago Art Institute (world class for sure), The Field Museum (an excellent Natural History museum), the Museum of Science and Industry (either the #1 or #2 rated science museum in the entire country), and the Shedd Aquarium. I've visited each one of these at least half a dozen times.

This is not free, but something we do to save money in the long run. We buy an annual membership to a museum close to home that participates in the ASTC travel passport program. With that pass we receive free basic admission to the Adler Planetarium, Museum of Science and Industry and the Field Museum, plus a year's worth of admission to the museum back home.

There is also a great new park called Maggie Daley just a little east of Millennium Park. Plenty around there to spend the day without any money if the weather cooperates.

Another plug for Chicago City Pass. You save tons of money if you were going to go to those attractions anyway. Another suggestion might be to eat lunch or dinner at the Rainforest Café. You have to eat anyway, and its pretty fun for kids! Normally, I would suggest Navy Pier, but we were there in April and there was a lot of construction going on. But if you go, you can take the water taxi which is pretty fun.

One more thing....the Walgreens in downtown Chicago are amazing! We found them great for buying snacks and small meals to take back to the hotel. They saved us a bunch of money.

There is also a great new park called Maggie Daley just a little east of Millennium Park. Plenty around there to spend the day without any money if the weather cooperates.
that's what I was going to say as well as Navy Pier . If the weather isn't cooperating Museum of Science and Industry is a lot of fun, or the Shedd Aquarium

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter