Chicago, Niagara, Hershey, Sandusky...help

Sounds fun. Tiring, but fun! Can I come? :) Our babies can entertain each other.

We did a similar trip in 2005-Maine to PA to Dorney Park, the next day out to Ohio to Cedar Point, 2 days there and 1 day at the now-closed Geauga Lake, then back to PA to Hershey and then home. In our case, it was wicked inexpensive because a Dorney Park season pass was good at all the parks except for Hershey. :) We also hauled a pop up camper, which added a lot of work for that many overnight stays. Future trips like that will involve cheap hotels rather than camping!

I think it sounds fine, but with smaller kids, you may want to consider returning to CP and Hershey when they're older. There are some amazing rides/coasters both places and they will likely be too small to ride them now.

If you don't want to do Gettysburg (I love history, but it's not really a "kid" place, in my opinion), you could go to Strausburg Railway in PA. They have a train ride, lots of train "stuff", and there are some model railway museums in the area. Great if you like trains. It's in Lancaster County so you'd see Amish farms and such, too.

I'm going to second the recommendation to choose Dutch Wonderland over Hershey or Idlewild for those aged kids. My DD7 loooves Dutch Wonderland and she is able to ride all the rides, whereas she is under the height restriction for many rides at Hershey.

Also Amish Country has so many great options for families. There's the Strasburg Railroad, lots of farms, petting zoos, and buggy rides. Family restaurants are plentiful and very reasonably priced. Many have buffets where children pay by their age (probably free for your youngest two).

I've never seen that guest farm in Mount Joy, but it looks fantastic and might be a great complement to all of the active days you have planned.

If you're looking for ideas of things to do in Amish Country with small children, let me know. We go there every year (sometimes twice!).

Whatever you do,don't go to the aquarium on the American side at Niagara Falls. There is a sign at the desk that says no refunds, and that should have warned us. It is dirty, small, dark and boring.

I think Idlewild is a great park for kids. It is shaded and has really great rides for little ones. There is an area that has ziplines and different things like that.

Dutch wonderland is good too. We took our kids to Hersheypark years ago when they were younger and they like DW more. I think they thought Hershey would be choc. themed, but it's not. You can still go to the stores and indoor (free) ride about how Hershey was made.

Oh forgot our favorite part of the Sandusky trip. This place was amazing! Blew away any drive thru safari we have been in the past. If you go print off the coupon and check for tips about the animal food. My kids LOVED this place.

Sounds like a great trip!

Your Detroit area choices are good. Greenfield Village and the Henry Ford are terrific. The River Rouge Factory tour is supposed to be quite good as well; we go there on June 8 with my son's school.

This trip sounds like a lot of fun! Here's a few tips that might help...

I personally would avoid visiting any attractions on Clifton Hill. It is full of gimmicky tourist attractions that are fairly expensive (but there are coupon books all over town if you are interested). We definitely like to walk by and see everything though! If you've never been to Tim Hortons, buy a giant box of TIMBITS! Always buy more than you think you'll eat... they will all be gone within 5 minutes. They're addicting! Boston Pizza is a fun place to eat. The kids can blow off some steam in the arcade if the weather is bad. I'm pretty sure there is a dinosaur mini golf located behind the ferris wheel. We usually visit the falls during the winter, so I never knew this existed until our taxi took a shortcut past it last year.

Idlewild is probably the best park for kids, but I would not do Hersheypark, Idlewild, waterpark hotel AND Cedar Point all in one trip.

Pittsburgh-Cedar Point should take about 3.5 hours, not over 6. We just made the trip yesterday and it took just a little over 3 hours to come home. We love Cedar Point so much that even though we live over 3 hrs away we buy Platinum Passes every year! Did you get a quote for Castaway Bay for the dates of your trip? It's a Cedar Point resort that has an indoor waterpark. It is about a 5 minute drive from the park. Great Wolf might be about 10-15 or so. What's great about staying on CP property is resort guests have the option to purchase discounted tickets ($32) and get into the park 1 hour earlier (usually 9am... but check the schedule beforehand). It was chilly and very windy yesterday so we did not go to the park but instead bought waterpark wristbands... we had a blast! (And fyi... we're in our 20's with no children!) I've never stayed at Great Wolf, so I cannot compare the 2, but I wanted to let you know we would definitely recommend Castaway Bay!

If you do not want to stay on property, check out the Rivers Edge Inn in Huron or Comfort Inn on Cleveland Road. I have stayed at both hotels in the past and they are decent (I am also very picky about hotels!). As of last year, both had free continental breakfasts. Castaway Bay is my top pick, but if you're on a budget check out Rivers Edge.

Enjoy your trip!! When are you going? Keep us updated! :goodvibes

I personally would avoid visiting any attractions on Clifton Hill. It is full of gimmicky tourist attractions that are fairly expensive (but there are coupon books all over town if you are interested). We definitely like to walk by and see everything though! If you've never been to Tim Hortons, buy a giant box of TIMBITS! Always buy more than you think you'll eat... they will all be gone within 5 minutes. They're addicting! Boston Pizza is a fun place to eat. The kids can blow off some steam in the arcade if the weather is bad. I'm pretty sure there is a dinosaur mini golf located behind the ferris wheel. We usually visit the falls during the winter, so I never knew this existed until our taxi took a shortcut past it last year.

You definitely have to "choose wisely" on Clifton Hill. But there are a few attractions that really are worth it.

The Niagara Skywheel, the Dinosaur Mini Golf, and Tussauds Wax Museum are all worth the price of admission. Movieland Wax Museum is "okay" but definitely not as well done as Tussauds.

If you are into having the crap scared out of you, Nightmares Fear Factory is BY FAR the best haunted house in the region (there are several in the Clifton Hill area). Completely frightening. NOT for little kids, so the OP and her spouse would have to take turns leaving the kiddos with the other parent while they toured. My husband still bears the scars from his sisters fingernails digging into his shoulders. I am sure he's also still partly deaf from her screaming into his ear.

The Ripleys Believe It or Not attraction and the Guiness Book of World Records attraction are both also "just okay". Unless you are into the weird and wonderful, skip these as well.

Definitely take a pass on such attractions as the Fun House, Brick City, and Mystery Maze. They are underwhelming at best. The OP's young kids may like Brontos Playland, though.

The Greg Frewin show is fantastic. Highly, highly, highly recommend: http://www.gregfrewintheatre.com/ and its an easy walk from the Clifton Hill area.

Clifton Hill can be a lot of fun for free (or almost free) as well:

- Plan for a stop at the Fudge Factory.....they have homemade cookies on a stick and drizzled with chocolate for some silly low cost ($1.99 each, I think) and they are soooooo good.

- The Hershey store has free samples all the time, and offer some good photo ops both inside and out (be sure to walk to the back of the store for the Hershey's kiss walking the tight rope over the Falls).

- Bring your camera and get family pics of the kids with the Egyptian Mummy outside Movieland (beware though, he talks spontaneously and can scare the bejeezus out of you), on the bench outside the Rainforest Cafe next to the statue of the frog mascot Cha Cha, next to the Mountie outside of the soda shop on Falls Avenue, etc.

Like the PP said, it is gimmicky and sometimes gaudy but its a fun place to be nonetheless.

Wow! I love all this info!! Keep it coming! I have a lot of rethinking and research before our trip! I keep passing this onto DH who is the one who HAS to do so many theme parks!

We definately ruled Gettysburg out!

You definitely have to "choose wisely" on Clifton Hill. But there are a few attractions that really are worth it.

The Niagara Skywheel, the Dinosaur Mini Golf, and Tussauds Wax Museum are all worth the price of admission. Movieland Wax Museum is "okay" but definitely not as well done as Tussauds.

If you are into having the crap scared out of you, Nightmares Fear Factory is BY FAR the best haunted house in the region (there are several in the Clifton Hill area). Completely frightening. NOT for little kids, so the OP and her spouse would have to take turns leaving the kiddos with the other parent while they toured. My husband still bears the scars from his sisters fingernails digging into his shoulders. I am sure he's also still partly deaf from her screaming into his ear.

The Ripleys Believe It or Not attraction and the Guiness Book of World Records attraction are both also "just okay". Unless you are into the weird and wonderful, skip these as well.

Definitely take a pass on such attractions as the Fun House, Brick City, and Mystery Maze. They are underwhelming at best. The OP's young kids may like Brontos Playland, though.

The Greg Frewin show is fantastic. Highly, highly, highly recommend: http://www.gregfrewintheatre.com/ and its an easy walk from the Clifton Hill area.

Clifton Hill can be a lot of fun for free (or almost free) as well:

- Plan for a stop at the Fudge Factory.....they have homemade cookies on a stick and drizzled with chocolate for some silly low cost ($1.99 each, I think) and they are soooooo good.

- The Hershey store has free samples all the time, and offer some good photo ops both inside and out (be sure to walk to the back of the store for the Hershey's kiss walking the tight rope over the Falls).

- Bring your camera and get family pics of the kids with the Egyptian Mummy outside Movieland (beware though, he talks spontaneously and can scare the bejeezus out of you), on the bench outside the Rainforest Cafe next to the statue of the frog mascot Cha Cha, next to the Mountie outside of the soda shop on Falls Avenue, etc.

Like the PP said, it is gimmicky and sometimes gaudy but its a fun place to be nonetheless.

Great ideas for the Falls.

My faves: I love, love, love Maid of the Mist. I didn't care much for Journey behind the Falls (not thrilling enough?). I also did the 4D theatre (forget the name - it's at the Falls itself) last summer and thought it was a lot of fun - it actually sprays quite a bit of water on you! A bit pricey though.... The Imax was nice to learn some of the history - an hour is long for little kids though. I would do it again - but only with someone interested.

We're doing the Oh Canada Eh dinner show at the Falls this weekend. I'll let u know what I think afterwards. Its $60 (kids under 16 free with each adult ticket) and includes dinner. I'm hoping for kitschy fun along the lines of HDDR.

I don;t care much for the Skylon Tower - but I'm not all that interested in standing on top of a big, tall tower. Ymmv. The view is great. The Skywheel is prob a more exciting(?) way of getting a good view.

I do enjoy the kitschy fun of Clifton Hills :). Staying overnight in Niagara Falls, US is cheaper, but the whole area looks very seedy. The Cdn side is much more fun.

My hubs loves the quaint peacefulness of Niagara on the Lake. Awesome wineries too!

And while in Canada...try some poutine if u get the chance! A box of Timbits from Tim Hortons (basically donut holes, available right on the main strip) is a must-do. (also, u prob already know that kids under 16 don't need a passport to drive across the border)

And if you're crossing to Canada through Windsor, it would be a good chance to stand on the southernmost tip of Canada at Point Pelee :)

Beware: rope at Disney is nothing compared to being at CP when they drop the rope. There was flat out running and pushing involved.

Emily

hahahahaha - too true. The crowds spread out pretty quickly though - it's the survival of the fittest at rope drop! I keep saying we won't run...but seeing everyone else....we inevitably start running! First things first - GET TO TOP THRILL DRAGSTER!! (does NOT open for early entry so the line won't be bad yet) Then the next morning, GET TO MILLENIUM FORCE!! (does open for early entry so line is typically 20 mins at park opening)

As always, work from the back of the park to the front. The nice thing with CP vs several other regional parks I've been to, is that if you time it right, you'll only hit major lineups for the headliners. The other mid level coasters (or yesterday's fastest, longest, highest)....can easily be done with minimal lineups if you time it right. I was there for several days over the whole July 4th weekend and barely waited in line.

The bad things about CP is that there isn't as much for little kids to do. Height limits are pretty restrictive. On that note, my DS8 and my DH who are NOT thrill riders, found plenty to amuse them during our half-dozen trips to CP last summer.

Oh...you were also talking about spending 3 full days in Niagara Falls. I love the Falls, but prob wouldn't spend more than 2 days there personally. Unless of course you're fitting in lots more attractions. To me, 1.5-2 days is plenty for the Falls. Niagara on the Lake and St Catharines are nice too. Also, its the War of 1812 Bicentennial so the Fort might be fun. You might also hit a cool festival.

If you decide to do Gettysburg you can visit Explore and More. It is a great little Childrens Museum. Or if you change to Lancaster they have a very big childrens Museum and lots of "amish country" tours of farms and buggy rides etc. I live in Harrisburg so both places are quite close to me. Hersheypark is my son and daughters fav park and has always been. They never were in to DutchWonderland a whole lot themselves but it is a cute little park for small children.

We're doing the Oh Canada Eh dinner show at the Falls this weekend. I'll let u know what I think afterwards. Its $60 (kids under 16 free with each adult ticket) and includes dinner. I'm hoping for kitschy fun along the lines of HDDR.

We did Oh Canada Eh a couple years ago. Very kitschy. Food wasn't great, but we had alot of fun. My kids were 8 and 13 at the time and liked it alot.

I agree with someone else's suggestion to Cave of the Winds on the US side of Niagara. You walk around at the bottom of the falls- it is incredible. I'd have stayed there all day! :) Go there as you're driving to/from the Canadian side vs in the middle of a Canadian stay. Getting over the bridge and through customs can be tedious, don't do it more than you have to!

(Not to overstate the obvious, but you will need passports/enhanced DL for all to get into Canada.)

Thank you! This looks very interesting! Were the beds comfortable? How well kept/clean is it? I think the kids would love it. DH might not. Can you buy the eggs?

Their website has great links for activitie in Amish Country too. Just what I was looking for!

Thanks again!

Sorry it took me so long to reply - crazy busy at work and home...

The Beds are comfortable, One room has a twin bed, the other two have queen beds. They have bed rails and gates in the closet for the stairs so you can close off the stairs.

The eggs you collect are yours to keep/eat at no charge... I actually took a dozen home with us last time as well.

We LOVE the place - It is close enough to Hershey and close enough to Lancaster to do both.. and that is what we do when we stay there. Sharon is the owner and she and her husband are very kind. The place is clean and they even have toys for the kids to play with... and a small riding john deere toy or two in the yard!

I just wanted to say this sounds like an awesome trip! I hope the kids will remember it fondly for years to come.

Lara

We did the Oh Canada Eh dinner show last year for DH's birthday and it was fantastic. If you are willing to get into the "spirit" of the event (think clapping, singing along, and shouting "eh" a whole heck of a lot :rotfl:) its a ton of fun. You are seated at long tables with other families, so your "neighbours" make a big difference as well. We had some very friendly folks from PA right beside us and their enthusiasm for the performance was definitely a benefit to the overall experience.

Another poster remarked that they didn't like the food, but we found it to be great. LOTS of it (and they will bring more of any item if you ask), and lots to choose from (fresh bread, pea soup, salad, roasted potatoes, several different meats, and a maple chocolate cake that's simply delish). The main meal is served family style so you can take what you want and leave what you don't. My oh-so-fussy teenager even ate the fish :confused3 . No kidding. And by gosh, Mikey liked it. Who'da thought? :upsidedow

Haven't been to HDDR, but would highly recommend Oh Canada Eh!

For those who are looking for tickets, we regularly see deals on Groupon and Wagjag. We got our tickets via one of those sources (can't remember which one) but we only paid $25 each.

We did the Oh Canada Eh dinner show last year for DH's birthday and it was fantastic. If you are willing to get into the "spirit" of the event (think clapping, singing along, and shouting "eh" a whole heck of a lot :rotfl:) its a ton of fun. You are seated at long tables with other families, so your "neighbours" make a big difference as well. We had some very friendly folks from PA right beside us and their enthusiasm for the performance was definitely a benefit to the overall experience.

Another poster remarked that they didn't like the food, but we found it to be great. LOTS of it (and they will bring more of any item if you ask), and lots to choose from (fresh bread, pea soup, salad, roasted potatoes, several different meats, and a maple chocolate cake that's simply delish). The main meal is served family style so you can take what you want and leave what you don't. My oh-so-fussy teenager even ate the fish :confused3 . No kidding. And by gosh, Mikey liked it. Who'da thought? :upsidedow

Haven't been to HDDR, but would highly recommend Oh Canada Eh!

For those who are looking for tickets, we regularly see deals on Groupon and Wagjag. We got our tickets via one of those sources (can't remember which one) but we only paid $25 each.

Great news. My kids adored the kitschy craziness of Medieval Times and we can definitely make a lot of noise when we get in the right mood :)

OK-so we just came back from doing the OhCanadaEh dinner musical. As promised, here is a short review.

Itwas lots of fun - right up there with HDDR imo. It was campy, it was kitschy,it was everything I hoped for.One thing that was different from HDDR is that instead of following a storyline throughout the show, they base it on short skits (and they do this on purpose). Very funny with lots of comedic moments. Also, lots of slower moments where you can relax, enjoy the music, even carry on a conversation at your table, focus on your food, etc. The pace felt good. We checked in just about 6:15 and our meal started about 20-30 mins later. At about 7pm, the show started. It ended at 9pm.

The food was decent banquet food. I particularly liked the split pea soup.The bread was soft and fresh. I found the roast beef tough and dry, but my kids preferred it to the chicken (whereas I ditched the roast beef and had seconds of the chicken - which was your basic roast chicken).

The acting was overall great, with only one actress who seemed rather awkward throughout the show.

We had a wonderful day in the area. We started off with Niagara on the Lake, wandering through town (in the search of yummy bakeries), then a few mins stroll on the waterfront there with a view of Fort George. The place was crowded due to the holiday weekend. Plenty of free street parking about 2-3 blocks from the main strip.

Then we drove to the Niagara Glen Nature Preserve. This was amazing! It's a very rugged hike, It took our very active, energetic family about 1 hr 40 mins of strenous hiking to cover a 2km trail from the Glen to the Niagara Whirlpool Rapids (and back up a very steep set of stairs to the main road). The only "hiking" we;ve ever done have been on nicely groomed trails in various conservation areas and state parks. This was a whole different ball game as we had to clamber over rocks and climb in areas where we weren't even sure we were ON a trail. I'm still surprised none of us twisted an ankle (or fell into the river)! My DH,DS, and DD each took a turn slipping despite our care. It was a fantastic experience though, and we would definitely do it again.

After this, we were off to the dinner musical. We are now a very tired family tucked up in bed in Burlington, about an hour out from Niagara Falls. Tomorrow is Toronto - for the free Circus Festival on the Harborfront!

Awesome info!!! Thanks everyone!!!

Here is the revised plan:

Day 1
Drive from Chicago to Warren Dunes MI (2 1/2 hours)
Spend the day at the dunes
Stay at Comfort Suites in Stevensville MI (free breakfast)

Day 2
Drive from Stevensville MI to Dearborn MI (3 hours)
Henry Ford Museum
Stay at The Dearborn Inn (breakfast package included for $20 extra)

Day 3
Greenfield Village
IMAX
Factory tour

Day 4
Drive to Niagara Falls (5 hours)
Stay at Embassy Suites (splurging for prem. view room that accomodates 6)
Pelle Point

Day 5
Maid of the Mist
Journey behind the falls
Clifton Hill
Mini golf

Day 6
Drive from Niagara Falls to Hershey PA (6.5 hours)
Stay at ???

Day 7
Amish Country

Day 8
Dutch Wunderland

Day 9
Amish Country

Day 10
Drive from Hershey to Ligonier PA (3 hours)
Idlewild Amusement Park
Stay at ???

Day 11
Drive from Pittsburgh PA to Sandusky OH (3 1/2 hours)
Stay at Great Wolf Lodge (Any promos for end of July?)

Day 12 & 13
Cedar Point

Day 14
Drive home

We added a night in Dearborn to slow the pace. We took out Hersheypark but will still see some of that area. We added Dutch Wunderland and Amish Country. We got rid of Gettysburg (thought we would!) We're debating Great Wolf Lodge versus staying "onsite" at CP for early entry. CP is mostly for DH and me but we'll make sure the kids have fun too!

I plan to start booking hotels ASAP! :woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter