Chicago Children's Museum vs. St. Louis' Magic House

nchulka

<font color=purple>it was funny when the creepy gu
We live in the St. Louis area and go to the Magic House quite a bit. The kids love it. We will be traveling to the Chicago area to spend a week at the Six Flags there. We are going to spend one day in the city and are going to Navy Pier. Should we go to the Children's Museum or will it be a disappointment compared to the Magic House? Has anyone been to both, how do they compare? We are planning to go to the Sears tower skydeck, the American Girl store, the Legoland Discovery Center, and the rides on Navy Pier.

It's been about 5 years since I've been to the Chicago museum, but I remember it was pretty awesome. I would definitely put it on your "to do" list. I think it's much bigger than the Magic House. Also, if you happen to have a St. Louis Science Center membership, you get a discount on admission.

I have a membership that covers both. The Chicago Children's Museum leaves the Magic House in the dust. It is easily 6X as large, and we normally spend about 5 hours there, especially in summer when the kids love to splash in the fountains outside.

If your children are VERY young it won't take as long, because several of their usual exhibits are not that great for toddlers, but for older kids prepare to spend time. Mine spend the most time in the fountain room and the foam airplane tower, as well as climbing on that life-size pirate ship. That's not counting any traveling exhibits that might be on.

If you have the $150 Family-level membership at Magic House you will get in free. If you have a SLSC or MOSI membership you will get in for half-price.

PS: Except for the view from the Ferris wheel, the rides on Navy Pier are nothing to write home about; just ordinary carnival-type rides. However, a cruise on the Windy is something else again. It is a tall ship, and on a breezy day going out on that is HUGE fun (well, as long as no one is prone to seasickness.)
http://www.tallshipwindy.com/default2.aspx
If the Windy is out of your budget, at least take a water taxi ride from the Pier. The taxis go either to the Field Museum or to the Willis (Sears) Tower dock, so you can take the water taxi between those two sites. http://www.shorelinesightseeing.com/watertaximap.html

Thanks for the info on the water taxi. We were wanting to go to the Sears tower that day also :) I think we will try the museum. My kids are 7 & 9 and it looks like they have a traveling exhibit about forts which I'm sure they will love!

I've been to both. I think Magic House is better (and much bigger since the expansion) but the Chicago Children's Museum is very nice. It's definitely worth doing. CCM does have nicer water tables which my kids loved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter