• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Chefs de France, El Teppan & Beaches and Cream for Peanut and Tree Nut allergies

Jersey Cinderella

Mouseketeer
Has anyone ever eaten at the following restaurants, who have peanut and tree nut allergies. We are thinking of possibibly trying these out.

Le Chefs, El Teppan and Beaches and Cream. Wondering if there is anything safe at Beaches and Cream for dessert for a peanut and tree nut person.

Thanks.

My DD is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, lentils and chickpeas. Of the restaurants you listed, we have only been to Teppan Edo in Epcot. They were great regarding food allergies. The allergies were noted on the ADR and the manager came out to speak with us as soon as we were seated. When the hibachi chef came to the table, he reiterated the allergies to us and asked a few questions -- like was she allergic to sesame seeds. DD reminds me that she was even able to eat a dessert there -- soft-serve ice cream.

My family counts Teppan Edo as one of their favorite restaurants at WDW now.

Have a great trip!
:tink: DVCDawn

My response is regarding allergies in general at specific restaurants and not specific to the allergies you listed since the last time we ate at those restaurants we weren't aware that we needed to deal with those ones yet.

We ate once at Chefs de France. At the time we were only dealing with a few allergies so things were simpler than they are now for us. I have never been made to feel more like I'm putting out the staff with our allergies than I did at CdF. I had to really insist that the waiter get the chef who then in a very snotty attitude refused to do anything besides prepare foods plain which meant DD14 (10 I think at the time) at a bunless burger with a side salad which was just lettuce and I think a few carrots with no dressing and for dessert all she could have was fruit. The waiter and chef were very disinterested in helping us or even being friendly. This was the experience that made me really understand the difference between Disney owned and non-Disney owned restaurants.

We went once to Beaches & Cream. Lets just say it's a good thing there's visually a difference between the soy and regular vanilla ice cream or else DD14 would have been throwing up our whole flight home (we went mid-day before catching DME to the airport). Luckily it was only me who had a lick of the ice cream before I realized it was the wrong stuff. I just needed a nap in the resort lobby while waiting for DME and coped with the cramps (thank goodness it was only a lick). The CM actually lied to me about having a dedicated allergy milkshake machine (I saw the manager go to clean it after so I asked and she said they just clean it for people with allergies and that it's not dedicated). I will never set foot in there again. Some things I'll give a second chance. Not B&C. I consider it dangerous.

I've read really good things about Teppan Edo with allergies. Because a chef at Tokyo Dining told me that he just can't recommend eating there with our particular list of allergies, I figure Teppan Edo's also off the list. I think it was the sesame that had him worried. With all the reports I've read and the fact that a chef at Tokyo Dining actually understood enough about allergies and cross contamination to be concerned for my daughter's safety, I would not hesitate to recommend the Japanese restaurants at Epcot.

My response is regarding allergies in general at specific restaurants and not specific to the allergies you listed since the last time we ate at those restaurants we weren't aware that we needed to deal with those ones yet.

We went once to Beaches & Cream. Lets just say it's a good thing there's visually a difference between the soy and regular vanilla ice cream or else DD14 would have been throwing up our whole flight home (we went mid-day before catching DME to the airport). Luckily it was only me who had a lick of the ice cream before I realized it was the wrong stuff. I just needed a nap in the resort lobby while waiting for DME and coped with the cramps (thank goodness it was only a lick). The CM actually lied to me about having a dedicated allergy milkshake machine (I saw the manager go to clean it after so I asked and she said they just clean it for people with allergies and that it's not dedicated). I will never set foot in there again. Some things I'll give a second chance. Not B&C. I consider it dangerous.

I've read really good things about Teppan Edo with allergies. Because a chef at Tokyo Dining told me that he just can't recommend eating there with our particular list of allergies, I figure Teppan Edo's also off the list. I think it was the sesame that had him worried. With all the reports I've read and the fact that a chef at Tokyo Dining actually understood enough about allergies and cross contamination to be concerned for my daughter's safety, I would not hesitate to recommend the Japanese restaurants at Epcot.

Interesting- I'm traveling with someone with fish/nut/sesame allergies and I was on the fence about Teppan Edo. I bet they would just make her food in the back which wouldn't be as much fun for her (she's 8).

I want to try beaches and cream but I'm nervous about the nuts!

re: sesame at Teppan Edo

I remember that the hibachi chef asked me before he started cooking and again during cooking about sesame allergies.

At one point, I believe sesame seeds were put on the hibachi. And I'm willing to bet that sesame oil is in one of the squeeze bottles of oils that is added during the cooking.

:tink: DVCDawn

I've only heard bad things about Chefs de France.

Teppan Edo I have heard good things about, but we've never been. My DC hate rice for some reason I can't fathom so even the safe options wouldn't go over very well with them. I would love to try it though. I think an 8 year old would still enjoy the show even if in the end her food comes from the back. I don't know how well a sesame allergic individual would tolerate sitting that close to sizzling sesame oil. We don't deal with sesame allergies.

We had a great experience at Beaches & Cream. My milk, egg, and nut allergic DS got a Root Beer Float made with Toffuti ice cream. My concern for a nut allergic individual would be limited options. My DS is used to not being able to get most things. I don't know if they'd try to push the Tofutti ice cream if they didn't trust the regular stuff being nut free. And I don't know if they'd be willing to get safe toppings out because you certainly wouldn't want ones that are sitting out near all the nonsafe ones. If you think the individual would be happy with something very simple, I think you'd be ok there. They were very nice to us when we were there and even ran to the pool snack bar to get fries from a dedicated fryer.

It was back in 2008, but Chefs de France was the worst experience we've had at Disney when it comes to food allergies. They were very unaccommodating and we were unable to even speak with the chef. I was hoping things had changed since then, but doesn't sound like it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter