Chef Mickey's - Quality

lynch34

Ya Heard me?
I just got back from WDW and I had a reservation for Chef Mickey's and was disgusted by the buffet.

We had 11 in our party and we were stunned at the overall quality of the meal. My bill (4 people) would have been $162 if I didn't have free dining but the meal was borderline inedible.

It felt like Golden Corral but worse.

Why do people continue to go to this place? I get the characters are there but there's simply no way the food is tolerable to most.

I thought the food was fine at dinner. Nothing extremely memorable, but it was filling. You are really paying for the characters though.

I just got back from WDW and I had a reservation for Chef Mickey's and was disgusted by the buffet . . .

I echo your thoughts . . .

Our Ratings of Chef Mickey's: (*rev 7/9/2014*)
. . . food price value: D
. . . food quality: D
. . . food quantity per serving: A
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: B
. . . seating quantity: C
. . . seating comfort: B
. . . eatery atmosphere: C
. . . eatery convenience: B
. . . staff friendliness: C
. . . staff attentiveness: C
. . . character interaction: C

NOTE: As with most character meals, you are paying for the characters, and possibly
atmosphere, but not the food. Food is ample, but quality only average or even slightly
below. Unfortunately, we believe the food quality has gone down hill significantly. During
this visit, the characters really breezed through, and did not spend a lot of time with
the children. Even with our opinion that CM has gone downhill, this meal took the bar
even below our dreams. We saw one person refer to it as "Chef Icky's".

I was there with my Dh and 3 children the only thing we liked about Chef Mickeys was the atmosphere the characters went to all the tables . The food I did not enjoy at all. We are not going back there this trip if we were it would only be for the characters.

We were disappointed with breakfast. We gave it three times, but each time was worse then before. This time, in addition to cold food, we felt rushed. Just our opinion though!

We went there a few trips ago and it was just okay. It was kind of a pain to ride all the way over to Contemporary, and the food was mediocre.

Last edited:
I just got back from WDW and I had a reservation for Chef Mickey's and was disgusted by the buffet.

We had 11 in our party and we were stunned at the overall quality of the meal. My bill (4 people) would have been $162 if I didn't have free dining but the meal was borderline inedible.

It felt like Golden Corral but worse.

Why do people continue to go to this place? I get the characters are there but there's simply no way the food is tolerable to most.

I agree and feel that way about all the dinner buffets. You wouldn't pay $5 in your hometown for that food..

I agree 100%. We were there for breakfast this past June and found the buffet to be absolutely horrendous. To call it Golden Coral quality is an insult to Golden Coral. Our server was not very good and toward the end of our breakfast when we asked for another refill she was down right rude... Never again for us. :(

Couldn't agree more! We actually love breakfast there but dinner was horrible! It has gotten so many bad reviews recently. It is weird that I love breakfast there... I think theres a huge difference between the two. Maybe because we always get a 7:30am ADR, so the food is hot and fresh, the place is clean since we are there close to opening.

We tend to go to Chef Mickey's every trip. I always enjoy my time and the food at CM. I wouldn't put it as the best meal I have ever had but we find it decent and enjoyable. I guess we are odd in our tastes since so many have said they hate the food but we tend to visit WDW twice some times three times a year and always eat here. Everyone is different I guess! Sorry OP for your bad experience I hope the rest of your trip was enjoyable!

Really hoping for a good breakfast experience when we go in December...a few good waffles and fruit and I'll be happy, though we really booked this for the character interaction.

We had dinner there last week. My daughter loved it. Mainly because she got to open the restaurant. I was not impressed with the food this time. I felt sick after eating there:( Opening the restaurant was really neat for my daughter, but the quality of dinner has gone down hill.

I enjoyed 1900 Park Fare alot more! And the food was so much better!

To be honest given the average buffet cost at any WDW restaurant whilst I realise it's the whole package regarding cost & the characters - I still think the food should be nice too.

::yes:: Totally agree. It was on our first trip to Disney that we discovered we don't really like buffets--Chef Mickey's being the biggest reason, but 1900 Park Fare to some extent. It's not worth the price we pay to deal with how gross it can be, and with how non-satisfying the food is. We had heard such great things about Chef Mickeys, and I remember loving the characters and finding the food a great disappointment. I still recommend that newbies with kids go to Chef Mickeys on their first trip, but I warn them that the food is iffy.

I know that some people talk about buffets being "great for everyone" because everyone can find something they like. That depends on whether everyone likes bland food that has sat too long and has had random strangers' fingers touching it.

Now I will do a breakfast buffet with an early reservation time--the food is fresh and the people (kids & grownups) haven't stuck their fingers in it yet. Otherwise I'll take QS or a non-buffet TS over a buffet at Disney!

We did a Chef Mickey's breakfast about 2 weeks ago and I thought the food was fine, but we did eat early in the morning..........with the exception of the "bacon". In fact where ever we ate for breakfast the bacon was just not good. Hard to describe but to me bacon should have some fullness to it...........the strips we got were so thin and really without a taste :crazy2:

Other than that the breakfast buffett was ok.........food was hot.........we weren't rushed at all (and we had a 7:15am ADR). The characters were just outstanding!!! I'd do it again..........but fix the BACON!!!!

Doug :goofy:

We've eaten there once and are going to try it again in December.

The food was fine. It was average restaurant food. It's a good deal for a dining credit. I probably would choose somewhere else if paying out of pocket though. But its a fun meal with FD, the dessert bar is pretty cool.

I remember going there as a little kid and thinking that Chef Mickey's was just the best ever. I feel bad for making my parents suffer through eating there nearly every night, lol.

We ate there for breakfast on 9/25 at 9:45am and had a great time. We were seated in the back upper right, with a great view of the castle. Maybe it was due to positioning, but it wasn't loud at all. Two of our kids have food allergies and the chef was more than accomodating (like most Disney chefs). The character interaction was great and we were happy with the buffet options. We thought the cheesy hashbrowns were really good. We would definitely go back. :thumbsup2

Ate there a couple of times last December, I thought it was actually a little better than previous experiences but that could have been because it was the first time I remember them having crab claws on the buffet.

And I love crab claws.

I asked our waiter if he could bring me some melted butter and you'd have thought from the expression on his face that I had asked for Grey Poupon or something. Silly me, I should have known that melted butter wouldn't be available in a joint where little kids who are running all over the place might slip and fall.

At least, that was the reason he gave me.

I visited chef mickeys last January and it was a less than fun experience. We waited 45 minutes for our table. It happens to be that there were two parties with the same last name so we were asked to move tables. After all the hoopla, we were there for 2 hours. Saw 2 characters. They were just roaming around with no handlers. The food was less than great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter